Hex war games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Brinkman, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Brinkman

Brinkman Well-Known Member

UniWar is okay, but I actually hate the setting..

War Generation is getting warmer but I don't know if I can get over the graphics..

I wish a company like Relic would port over a game like Company of Heroes but do it in a Hex enviorment similar to UniWars but with more polish and a ww2 setting.

Can anyone else think of any notable hex based war strat games?

2. Brinkman

Brinkman Well-Known Member

note: if you put a question mark in the title of your thread, it automatically gets moved to another forum.

3. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Did you check out Hanto? It's a copy of the table game Hive, and really well done!! Too bad there isn't any mention on TA about it.

4. silentdante

silentdante Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    florida
    holy crap, Hanto looks awesome, i will try to find a video on it or something because from the app description, i cant tell how it is played at all.

EDIT: will also try the free version, hahaha

5. stnsn

stnsn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    there are quite a few hex-based games in the appstore.

if you are strictly looking for round based strategy games in the classic sense there are

- uniwar
    - mecho wars
    - war generation
    - war 3100
    - reign of swords (free game)
    - reign of swords 2
    (not all of those feature hex fields, but they all are within the round based spectrum)

other hex games that would not classically qualify are:
    - hanto (board game port of hive - as already mentioned above)
    - hex territory br
    - hex territory 2
    - infection

there are definitely more, but i don't know their names...

6. Rula

Rula Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    About Hanto

I guess trying the free version is the best way to learn so far (no tutorial available). You can also check the game manual in the website: http://www.warima.com.ar/Warima/Hanto_Manual.html but IMHO manuals are for reference *after* you press every button you can find and see what happens... :p

To Dark NRG: there is a fan review in TA done by MrBass here http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=7632 but no "official" review of the game yet. It is a shame. I think hardcore strategy gamers would certainly enjoy Hanto but they don't get to know about its existence.

A thread with custom rule sets would be nice also.

7. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #8 Dark NRG, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    Hey yeah, I agree :D
    The game is the same (if not better because of customizable rules and features) as the board game HIVE.

Do a youtube search for Hive game, or , oh wait, here's one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBtAHbaOawQ
    It'll show you how to play. You can go to Boardgamegeek.com and find files to make your own version. But this iPhone app is dope! It is so well done, the music is great, the AI is awesome.

It even dropped in price to 99cents after I bought it a few weeks ago. Im completely new to Hive, and finding this in the app store was awesome.
    BTW, if you go on the forums for Hive in Boardgamegeek.com, there is a thread of great controversy of this developer stealing this game idea.
    There is also a thread of boardgames that are on the iphone.:D

edit: thanks for the link btw! I see Albie and others commented. I'm just late to the concept of Hive... Anyhow, there's full instructions on the full version of the game, a must buy bc if you know how to play Hive, there's expansions like the Misquito and unofficial Dragon Fly, and you can assign some creatures those characteristics. It just takes a little bit of inside voice, "ok, horse=spider, tho it should be a grasshopper" I hate when I talk to myself like that ;)

8. snowpuncher

snowpuncher Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
  9. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    It's might be a little boardgamish, but Slay is pretty awesome.