How do your organize your iPhone/iPad games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by shlem90, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I usually TRY to keep my games organized by genre, Runners, DSS, RPG, Platformers (I have like 4 full Platformer folders, btw. Can you tell I like platformers? :p), etc.

But sadly, I download so many games it's hard to keep up, so most just end in a "Misc. Games" folder. xD

Also, I don't like when I only have, say, two games in the RPG folder. Then I'll move them into another similar folder.

EDIT: Oh, I also have a ZOMBIES!!! folder. :D

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, I'm like this. For example: Games (A) or if there are more than 12, I'll have Games (A-1) with Games (A-2) and so on. If I have any games starting with X, they'll be in the Games (X/Z) folder...you know. Utilities will be in Utilities, and so on and so forth. :p Naturally the apps will be in alphabetical order inside the folders. Maybe it's just my OCD, but like this, everything's found within seconds, and I don't have to stare at a million horribly titled (ThisAppisCalled...ds) app titles all day long. >_>

3. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #23 Adams Immersive, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    I rotate my current favorites in and out of my home screen, and group the rest into category folders, BUT I go farther:

1. I put 3 folders in a row that are conceptually related. For instance one row has 2 folders of Tower Defense and then a Castle Defense. Another row has Driving, Flying and Running. Another has two Word folders and a Numbers folder. Keeps things organized.

2. But a row is 4 icons, not 3... the first icon in each row is a "poster game": one single game that belongs with the first folder, but by leaving it outside, it becomes a clearly-visible "icon for the whole row." As I flip through my many home screens, the left side is always a stack of app icons that remind me of similar games in the adjacent folders.

So if I want to play Catapult King, say, I don't have to look for the "Catapult" games folder, or even remember what page it's on: I just look for the Angry Birds icon, and I know that other vaguely similar games are all going to be in folders beside it.

If you don't have THAT many games, you can do pairs instead of rows of 4: have one "poster icon" and then one folder of related games.

3. Lastly, I use an Emoji to give every folder name a mini-icon. A white sphere for Pinball. Two hands for Dual-Stick. a target for Catapult games.

And then there's always Spotlight and Siri to help... I have too many games! :eek:

In fact I probably use the Fast Switcher to launch games more than any other way: I can just swipe a few times to see the last dozen or so games that I've been on a roll with of late.

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Whoa! That emoji idea is genius! Why didn't I think of that?!

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Mine's a bit weird I have an entire page with genres (Tower defense, music games...) and favorites and then I just fill up folders per week. It's getting a bit messy with 450 apps installed...

6. I used to have 750 games on my new ipad, with two pages of folders. After my ipad was slowing down to install some of the bigger games, I cut it down to about 500 with 1 1/2 pages. There are a total of 29 folders separated by type of game. I will include screenshots of these two pages, with a brief explanation. Also, I have two more pages of apps I use on a daily basis like news, photo, etc.

On the first page...
    Shooter - Dual stick shooters
    Shooter 2 - Best Shmups
    Shooter 3 - Mix
    Shooter 4 - Mix
    Shooter 5 - FPS and Other Shooters
    Puzzle 1-4 - Puzzle Games
    Puzzle Move 1-2 - Move the box, ichi, quell like games
    Puzzle Ball 1-2 - Games like Zuma, Tetris, Peggle
    Driving - Asphalt 7 like games
    Motion - Repulze, Catch the ark like games
    Tower Defense
    Immersive - odd folder, named it cause I could't decide on a name, like Glowfish, osmos...
    Sports
    Utilities
    Great is a temp folder with just recently purchased games, waiting for me to sort

Attached Files:

7. Page 2

Action - Rpgs, arcade games like Lili, Wild Blood, orc, etc...
    Action 2 - super hexagon, atari, smaller arcade games
    Action 3 - tiny wings, time surfer, etc..
    Runner - Endless Runners
    Platform 1-2 - best platform games
    Entertainment - TV, video, news
    Process - process for later, usually free apps that are good
    Delete - apps that I can delete at any time for disk space issues.

Attached Files:

8. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I have several techniques. First App's that aren't games are organized in as few of folders as possible. MainApps (stuff like camera and whatnot that I mainly use), from there most are combo folders with stuff like TV&Weather and so on. Then there's AppFinders.

For gaming if I have more than one folder's worth of a genre I put a number after the folder name. So Platform get's 2 folders, Shootemup gets 1, then there's a combo of RPG/STR/FPS for some RPG's Strategy games and a few Adventure games.

For games I haven't played, I dump them into a folder named "New" with a number after it. Currently that's New1, New2 & New3. I have a couple folders for paid games called Premium... and a few that are company specific... KemcoRPG, BigPixel, HalfBrick, MagicCube, & NewtypeKK ... currently.

Beyond all that I have a special folder called "Playing" that has much of what I'm currently working through.

All in all, I'm down to 2 pages of folders... but at one point I did a full clean out and was down to 1 page of folders. That was cool but there's just too much over the holiday season between Thanksgiving and the first of the year... so it got a bit crazy.

I like the idea of using emoji in folder titles... but what I'm doing works well enough.

9. clairetarcade

clairetarcade Member

Jan 16, 2013
    :)

I'm a very organize person and so I got used to putting games, apps, and any other in a folder. Train yourself as well :)

10. Yeah, I am curious about the people that don't organize their idevices at all, how their bedrooms look... Have to figure it must be related...

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... I organize my apps by genres... then at the bottom, I have my online crap (Safari, e-mail, TA app, website icons, youtube, ect...), Current Favorites, Adult Swim (because I always seem to play these games on a very regular basis), Joypad apps (games that can be controlled with another device via the Joypad app), and then whatever games I'm beta testing which, ATM, is only Danmaku Unlimited 2, so there's no folder for that.

Attached Files:

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I didn't know you can put folders into the dock. How did you do it? I just tried on mine and can't.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You have to make the folders outside of the dock, and then move them there. Once they're there, you can add and remove apps from them. =o)

14. Tommy141

Tommy141 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I don't make any folders, and don't really move apps round once they are on my device, but do put games in the same series next to each other. I think it's better to see the app straight away, rather than to go through different folders trying to find it.

15. Hmmm.. Didn't know that either, maybe I could try an Important folder in the dock, thanks.

16. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Same here:)o), wasn't aware and putting it to use. Nice option to have within the dock.

17. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..Got it working as you mentioned. Thanks!
    Too bad I'm already set in my setup for the past few years so can't think of what to put in the folder right now... ;)

18. Super C, Hairy B, P Flip, and others...

Sorry, couldn't resist...

19. Ok, I did it, I added one folder called Important to my dock and put Youtube in there. Also noticed we had kind of similar folders, except that I had a lot more puzzle games than you. Also, I liked how you had a joypad folder, and since I am using my ipad more as a console now via hdmi tv, maybe I will try that too. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

20. JordenMark

JordenMark New Member

Jan 25, 2013
    jailbreak
    infinifolder

My all games are stored in one folder (i have stored 50 games) and one continuous folder, games view is alphabetized.