Why Can't More Games Be Universal?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by loves2spoon, Apr 23, 2010.

1. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Is it impossible for games like Angry Birds or The Creeps to make there games universal across ipad/iphone/ipod?

If Asphalt 5 was a universal app would it be double the memory?
    The apps for the iPad arn't taking up that much space.

Does it really take up that much more memory? Are the dev's just hungry for $$$$?

Just curious! Thanks

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    it's a business decision. Devs can charge what they want and distribute their games as they want. You can complain and call them names if you like, but it doesn't necessarily make it true.

Why don't you donate more to charities? Is it because you are greedy and money hungry?

arn

3. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    I'm not complaining, I was curious. I'm sure everyone here can agree that they hate double dipping especially if there is no new content for the extra money.

4. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

What's the issue with Asphalt 5?

5. pedgusta

pedgusta Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    i AGREE WITH YOU
    YOU PAY MORE FOR THE SAME THING

6. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    I tink people should do an ipad/iPhone demo and have them priced # dollar iPhone unlock. then ipad #+ dollar ipad unlock.

7. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    That is a good idea

8. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    well yes generally it bloats the file size alot.

most people have arm6 apps and dont even build arm6/arm7 universal apps which in itself makes the binary itself close to twice the size, not to mention the art assets for ipad being larger(hopefully :p). Its also fairly complicated to build a 3.0 app compatible with ipad. not impossible but time = $.

and sometimes yes it comes down to $.

9. Acceleroto

Acceleroto Well-Known Member

Just curious... Doesn't the fact that universal apps are custom built to take advantage of the iPad by definition mean that there is new content? :cool:

FWIW, I made Air Hockey a universal app & left the price the same. It's done well as an iPad app, but the way Apple calculates iPad app rankings, it's actually better for devs to NOT make universal apps. Making your investment back on an app means getting in the charts. The easiest way to get in the charts is an iPad only app right now.

Developers have to put food on the table to bring you great games. That's just the way the world works. Food for thought. ;)

10. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    I think they are just trying to get more money, see what people will pay. Like how games on the App store were a lot more then 99 cents when it came out, and they dropped prices to compete

11. hyung

hyung Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    We're finding out that getting our game (Meteor Blitz) to run well on the iPad is quite a bit of work.

I think that a universal version of the game would be awesome, but we'd probably end up not earning back enough money to pay salaries.

I would bet that in the future there could be more universal games though. For example, devs could price a universal version of a game $1-$2 more than an iPad or iPhone-only version.

12. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    It's not like you can just go to your app, click "Make it Universal!" and it magically is converted. It actually takes work.

13. CastleSoftware

Apr 25, 2010
    Author/Designer
    UK
    I agree with Hyung, there are two things to take into consideration here.

1. Its a buyers market, if people don't buy the game you have spent time creating then you will in some cases drop the price, If your game sells well at the price you have put it at, then where is the problem. Yes some people will never be happy.. unfortunately thats life.

2. Development is not necessarily cheap of any type of games. There is a cost for making games, from bedroom programmers who have to buy equipment/software to corporations who have to pay salaries every month. Its a business and that means you have to break even at the very least, and in most cases try and get a profit to finance more games.

Unfortunately there are still too many people who think general game development is cheap :(