Universal Midnight Star - an epic sci-fi shooter in 2 apps

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    The game is great!! You'll see for yourselves soon

2. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Meridian! Did you get a chance to play it at PAX East or elsewhere?

3. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soft Launch for Midnight Star!

TA just put up an alert on our soft launch (thanks TA!), so I figured I'd check in. Here's the latest:

[] We're soft launched in Ireland with Midnight Star (the shooter). We're going to work out the kinks and bugs in a live environment for a little bit before we go to the rest of the world.

[] This will be Chapter 1 of a several-chapter story about a disastrous accident that leaves you stranded in your ship, cutoff from the Earth while you teleport back-and-forth to a strange alien planet to fight in a war whose outcome will determine-- well-- everything that matters.

[] Midnight Rises, the graphic novel companion app to the game, just got approved today by Apple, so we're hoping to get that into soft launch shortly. When we go out for our official launch the graphic novel will come out a bit before the game (or that's the plan, anyway).

And here's a shot we put up today of the spaceship leaving Earth orbit as the game begins. The art will appear in the Extras section of the graphic novel app:

[​IMG]

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    What a wonderful choice of store to soft launch in just as the sun is starting to shine over here. :)

Downloading now. Looking forward to it.

5. jacobAg

jacobAg New Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I dont suppose mfi controller support would be on the horizon for this game?

6. jacobAg

jacobAg New Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Never mind.. just looked back a ways and seen that question posted already... I understand a lot of work has gone into the touch play mechanics, but I for one just cant get into these kinds of games with touch screen. I find much more enjoyment playing with my iPad propped up in its stand & with a controller in my hand. Stopped buying fps games that dont have that a while back ... which means I rarely get to enjoy them on mobil. Either way, looks like you guys are making a great game.. I'll be missing out.

7. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
  8. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  9. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    No but i've played it enough to know

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just posted a screen with explanations of the HUD over on the other thread that's going on during our Soft Launch.

11. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
  12. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soft Launch Updates

We're in the latest of several builds that we're testing in our Soft Launch (currently live in Ireland, the Philippines, Sweden and New Zealand). The latest build added a bunch of new stuff, including redesigned UI for the Campaign and Challenges (pictured below), as well as upgraded guns environments and some new guided tours of areas in the game that need additional explanation.

[​IMG]

I've posted some additional details here. We're also running twice-weekly events with players competing for in-game loot against devs and each other, which we'll continue when we launch globally.

13. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Looks great! I'll try it out. :)

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great, thanks, Nekku-- would love your feedback. Are you in one of the territories we soft launched in? (Ireland, Philippines, Sweden, New Zealand)

15. muhammed Laden

Sep 30, 2014
    Vurry noice gaem. ¡Me Gusta!

16. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks muhammed.

Update: We're submitting a new build with all-new story-telling presentation, tutorials on the Profile and a 1st-time player Challenge that new players will be eligible for as they begin their battle on Oberon. I'll post more details when we get approved. More territories soon!

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Latest Public Beta build is up

The latest Soft Launch build is up-- we revamped the storytelling system to more visual and less obscure as well as a bunch of other visual upgrades and help for new players in multiplayer Challenges. Details here.

Here's a preview of the new storytelling look (when not in the 3D environments of the game):

[​IMG]

We've gone with a more comic-book style that mirrors what we're doing with the graphic novel app, Midnight Rises. We're almost done with the feature upgrades-- then it's just polishing gameplay and a few UI pieces and we should be readying for a wider launch.

In the next couple of days, we'll submit a build that makes the 1st play through experience a bit more action-oriented (but doesn't amp the difficulty too much), while giving players better instruction in the controls. Looking forward to hearing more of what you guys think as it rolls out...

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Was going to sign up for a new beta test, but the form wants to know street address etc. can't imagine why they'd need that...

19. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh yes-- that was way back in Closed Beta, so we could send those few folks tee-shirts for participating. Are you seeing a live link to our old call out for Closed Beta? We only had a few hundred in for that, so it was a little more serious process. Now, if you're in a soft launch territory, you can just get the app.

(or if you're not, send me a PM-- I have a few of the codes Apple gives us left for this build!)

20. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're in Australia now, everybody. New build with a bunch of great features/upgrades and new events. We'll be trying out our event system (invitations, brackets, multiple rounds) in the coming weeks, and worldwide is just around the corner.

Here's the link if you're in Australia: Midnight Star on the Australian App Store

And here's a sneak peek at (a small portion of) one of our launch posters:

[​IMG]