Some opinions needed about our game's title.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Evan.Greenwood, Feb 2, 2012.

?

Which names do you like? (can choose multiple)

1. Critical Existence Failure

8.3%
  2. We Come In Pieces

16.7%
  3. Divided They Shall Fall

16.7%
  4. Of Vending Machines and Super Science

16.7%
  5. Slice Fight

33.3%
  6. Slice Crisis

50.0%
  7. If It Bleeds...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Tenticle Holocaust

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Limb From Limb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. None of these (can only fit 10 options)

8.3%
  1. Evan.Greenwood

Evan.Greenwood Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    Hi everyone!

We have two choices of names for our game and we need to choose one so we can do a proper logo and start promoting:

They are:

1. "Slice Fight!" or "Slice Fight"
    2. "Slice Crisis"

I know on the App Store users often get very little information about the game they are about to click on... often just a name and an icon...

So if there were to be an icon it would either be a meaty tentacle being sliced... or a blue tie in a pool of blood.

The game has a lot more depth than what I just explained... But I need opinions from people who know a little bit about the App Store users and who aren't already intimately familiar with our game (as we are).

This is going to be my first game release after Pocket RPG, but this time I'm working without Tasty Poison and I'm trying to do everything right on my own.

Thanks in advance!

2. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    none of those titles appeal to me, they don't roll off the tongue, crisis slice is slightly better as it feels more natural.

it usually sounds more catchy when a titles first word has more syllables then the second word, slice crisis is the opposite and sounds a little dull, crisis slice immediately sounds more fun and attractive..

maybe play around with word mixing and call it something like "Slicis" i dunno

3. bishopia

bishopia Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Hmmm...

I really like "Slice Crisis". It has a nice ring to it and a feeling of urgency and fast pace.

4. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Yeah Slice Crisis works for me too. Makes me wanna play Time Crisis :rolleyes:

5. Evan.Greenwood

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    Thanks for replying!

It is kind of a slicing game on rails (hence the Time Crisis reference). Although it isn't really derivative of Time Crisis in theme... It's more of a humorous gory science-fiction game set in a office environment run by a ethically questionable company...

Here are some other names we are debating:

"Deadline"
    "Employee of the Month"
    "Critical Existence Failure"
    "Job Cuts"
    "We Come in Pieces"
    "Divided They Shall Fall"
    "Worst Monday Ever"
    "Of Vending Machines and Super Science"
    "Closed for Science"

6. Grizzlage

Grizzlage Active Member

I really like Slice Crisis too.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people just flick scroll through the lists of apps for something that jumps out at them. Shorter names are easier for your eyes to notice / and understand.

With longer titles you might just see a blur of words and skip over it, not even thinking twice.

7. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Slice Crisis would be good

8. Johnny Photon

Johnny Photon Member

Jan 16, 2012
    mobile developer
    near Indianapolis, IN USA
    I like "Cubical Nightmare" but it's probably too long.

9. I actually really don't like Slice Crisis at all. Slice Fight at least gave me an idea of the gameplay: I slice stuff in a fighting game with my finger

Slice Crisis is uh.. vague. Am I slicing computers (aka hacking minigame in Mass Effect) or slicing people? What's the crisis?

I actually really like the idea of the office theme. I think a lot of people will go for that. However, neither Slice Fight or Slice Crisis gives any indication that it's related to an office full of evil people

I'd recommend something that uses the word Office or something similar. Here's some ideas:

• Office Massacre
    • Pink Slip Massacre
    • Slice Up Your Office

I also like the ones you already mentioned:
    • Job Cuts
    • Worst Monday Ever
    • Deadline

Honestly if I had to pick one right now I'd pick "Pink Slip Massacre" or "Worst Monday Ever". The latter has more of a ring to it though. Everyone's had a bad Monday ;)

Good luck :)

10. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I suggest you to edit your first post and put a direct appstore link so people can see your game right away!

Dominic

11. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Without knowing your game beyond your description: "Pink Slip" (forget massacre) could be pretty fun. "Worst Monday Ever" would also work in my opinion.

12. The Pink Slip isn't a term thats generally used outside the US. We get our P45s here in the UK. Other countries have there own thing.

Worst Monday Ever is my favourites. The name and the game itself remind me of Office Space. "Somebodys got a case of the Mondays". Maybe she could make a cameo in the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChfIyHZqEd8

13. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Job Cut is really good if it involveS cutting and Jobs....

14. Evan.Greenwood

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    #14 Evan.Greenwood, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    Hey! Thanks for all the feedback... this is helping more than you can imagine.

I think we're moving away from mentioning the office theme in the name... The game has an office setting, but the game is more about slicing up unholy alien invaders after a freak science accident involving a vending machine...

So here is that list again with some more if anyone wants to comment:
    "Critical Existence Failure"
    "We Come in Pieces"
    "Divided They Shall Fall"
    "Of Vending Machines and Super Science"
    "Slice Fight!"
    "Slice Crisis"
    "If it bleeds..."
    "Tentacle Holocaust"
    "Limb from Limb"
    "Buckets of Blood Pouring out of Peoples' Heads"
    "How I learned to accept conformity and live with tentacles"

Right now we're of two minds... We're thinking...
    1. Make the name obvious as to what the game does and make it sound immediately fun. In this case "Slice Fight!" is probably the best name.
    OR
    2. Choose a name that sounds really cool to our audience. People who prefer this naming method prefer names like "Half-Life" and in our case "Of Vending Machines and Super Science" or "Tentacle Holocaust" or "Divided they shall fall"...

15. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I definitely like slice fight, I think it's a nice, short name.

16. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    The bow tie in blood seems more appealing

17. Evan.Greenwood

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    #17 Evan.Greenwood, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

(Here's the tie in blood, this is a big illustration version... we'd fix it up for an icon)

Thanks for putting the poll up admins!

18. Future Newb Apps

Future Newb Apps Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Yea I like "Slice Fight!" or "Slice Crisis" the most....."We Come In Pieces" is pretty neat too...

19. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Slice Fight works for me.