Could use your help. Opinion on our physics game trailer.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Johnny Photon, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Johnny Photon

Johnny Photon Member

Jan 16, 2012
    mobile developer
    near Indianapolis, IN USA
    Hi All,

My wife and I have written a physics puzzler and we could use some opinions of our trailer before we post it to YouTube. This version is a smaller lower quality version of what we intend to put up.

http://bashthebankers.com/trailer.htm

Thanks

2. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Hi Johnny. I'm not sure if this will be the opinion you hoped for, but I think the game needs some extra work on its visual side (thought the physics itself could be improved too). I know people nowadays hate bankers, but that alone won't draw players to your game, I'm affraid. It's going to be hard to make a good looking and attracting trailer of a game that doesn't look attracting itself.
    Maybe the problem is aiming for, more less, realistic visuals? It's actually much harder to achieve than one might think. I'd suggest switching the style to something more caricatured.
    Well, whatever you decide - good luck, as this seems to be your debut on AppStore :)

Best regards,
    P.

3. I would suggest making the bankers into ragdolls.

They could stay stiff until they are hit and then start rag-dolling all over the place.

4. Johnny Photon

Johnny Photon Member

Jan 16, 2012
    mobile developer
    near Indianapolis, IN USA
    @EvilArev Don't be shy, this is exactly the kind of feedback we need. We are in our mid-fifties and out of work. I knew this endeavor would be a challenge but we really needed to bring our tech skills up to speed. It turned out the technical challenges were nothing we couldn't handle. What has been incredibly difficult is getting feedback on our work. I could count the number of people we know with smart phones on one hand. We have one friend with an iPhone that still won't even look at it because she "doesn't play games". We personally don't know anyone who actually writes games. You think it's too realistic? It does have a kind of 'unique' look to it. As far as "something more caricatured" are you specifically referring to the bankers or overall? Could you be more specific about the physics? Did you play the demo? Thanks for commenting, we really need feedback.

@MindJuice We tried that early on. You would think it would work but what happened is it kinda ruined the game. What happened was, if you tapped a banker in a way where they normally wouldn't fall over, they went limp and fell down. I guess I could have tried to determine how hard they were hit. I also thought about going ragdoll after they touched the ground. Also if you play say level 6 on the demo, the bankers sometimes get stuck between pedestals. Exactly half the people we asked said they shouldn't and the other half said they should and it added to the challenge of the game.

@Everybody else don't be shy. If you thought it sucked, be honest. Mostly we need people to play the demo and tell us if it's fun. We can always change the look but if it's not fun we just need to move on.

5. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #5 EvilArev, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
    Hi. I'm not shy :) I did say what I've had in mind, didn't I? ;)
    Anyway, if you're having problems getting feedback, here's a good place to start. Many TA users often participate in beta tests.
    Concerning the art style - I didn't actually say it was realistic. I only got the impression you were aiming for that style. In my opinion it didn't turn out too well, since - like I said - it's much harder to make something look real and good, than people actually think. If you'd switch to another art style you'd have to do it for all the objects in the game. The bankers, the background, the obstacles on the levels and the UI graphics. Multiple art styles, not matching each other is actually the worst that could happen to a game, from the visual side.
    As for the physics there's a number of possible improvements. As MindJuice mentioned - I'd also rather see rag dolls in there. I understand that it's less "out of the box" solution and would require considerably more work, but it might pay-off. You may also make their limbs simply fall off from stronger hits.
    The coins, when exploding, all go straight up (when they could explode omni directionally) and sometimes stack on each other with large gaps between them. I suppose the colliders are too big for the objects. And when the coins fall down they start rolling in a weird manner - this actually looks like they'd have sphere colliders on them. Box colliders or simple cylindrical mesh colliders would probably give better results.
    Now, since the scene doesn't have any visible boundaries there's often a situation, where you need to shoot a cannon ball out of the screen and wait for it to fall down. This gives the player very little feedback for aiming and is a little boring. You may want to try enclosing the level within some wall off of which the bullets would bounce. Also the whole simulation seems a little slow. Is the whole scene built up to scale (the bankers have ~1.75m height and, I don't know, 100kg mass, since they're so fed up : D)?
    If you decide to make some changes to the game - feel free to post a link to an on-line demo here. I'd be happy to try the next iteration : )

Best regards,
    P.

6. Markus Hanka

Markus Hanka Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Freelance 2D Artist
    Beijing
    I think style and mood are definetly going in the right direction, but you should really go full "Monty Phyton" there. Game and Trailer are still lacking of humor and exaggeration. It is somehow boring.

7. You could almost do a Lemmings style game and add funny things into it ala Monty Python. I liked that idea. How about giving them different way sto die like a bowler hat that squashes right down to the shoes , then shuffles away, One of those giant weights or a safe that drops on their head etc. Also, depending upon the situation, more funny comments to go with the death scene could be good as well.

Overall all, it's a very topical premiss for a game. All the best with it!!!