Iphone/ipod vs psp vs ds.What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sa66o6, Sep 22, 2009.

1. sa66o6

sa66o6 Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I do like the iphone the most.It have a lots of great games,and ton's of new one's coming every day.And the 3gs is a lot more powerful than the psp or ds.And now "big dogs" like ubisoft,EA,rockstar are developing games for the platform,so from now on the only way for iphone is up.For one year the iphone already have incredible games that can compete with the best on the other platforms,and for the first year on psp and ds the consoles didn't have nothing good for playing.Just look at the psp,it was released on march 2005,and the first few years there was no really great fame for it.And ds and psp are really "scared" of the iphone,and because of this they are launching dsi store and psp minis,which is an iphone ripoff.Wat do you guys/gals think?Who is the best?

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Wrong forum...But the iPhone iPod Touch has great graphics that can handle very good games, and they also come cheap....You can find a great game at $0.99 (like Cheese Collect :)) while on the DS and PSP they come at $30 or more.

3. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    the iphone/itouch is def the winner in this category. apple is so far ahead of sony/nintendo in portable platform gaming its crazy. i own a psp, dnt have a ds but ive played around on them and i didnt really care for it. when it comes down to it, the idevice doesnt need cartridges/umd's, everything is stored in it. plus affordability is a big factor, the idevice itself is a few hundos, but u get all that back when u buy games, idk what the prices of psp/ds games are, but im sure that itunes offers wayyyy better pricing. and when it comes to portability theres no contest, idevice wins. apple is kicking sony/nintendo's ass in this area, and i dont mind at all. i put my itouch through so much use its prob my favorite. [next to my mac :D]

4. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Whats most important for me is that I always disliked carrying around my Sony Ericsson, Creative Zen ánd GBA/PSP.
    Now all I need is an iPhone and I'm loving it, havent touched my PSP since.

5. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    ugh i cant wait till march when my contract with verizon is up, i HATE at&t with a passion, but i really want the iphone..my itouch seems like such a tease, its the iphone without the phone components lol. and seeing that the iphone prob wont come to verizon for another 1.5-2[+?] years, id rather not wait :p lol

6. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I only would ever want a psp for one game - Wipeout. If the iPhone actually had a real Wipeout game, somehow, then I wouldn't ever need anything else.. Other than my pc, of course.

7. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    a forum is already closed with this same topic and that was a big talk,
    but i want to say things because i didn't said this n that thread,hahahhaa

i never had a PSP or DS,and i once dream about having a PSP,although i still want it because i don't have XBOX or PS2(im such a poor person,hahaha)
    but now,i'm contented to have my iphone,like everyone say,i have a phone,"gaming device",music player,etc.,those fill up my needs,and what it amaze me more is what i get as a "gamer",it feels like a half PSP and half DS,

what really makes the iDevices so unique in gaming is the controls,yes it doesn't have physical buttons but it has the controls of a DS which most people love,
    touch screen(multi-touch!) is there,mic,camera and even added choices are the accelerometer,compass(3gs only),etc.,icontrolpad also shows physical buttons are poosible.
    see?it has many choices of controls scheme,it is practically a DS with more and near PSP graphics,

overall,the only issue is the market,not many companies/devs take risks in making a console quality game.

that's all,thank you,hahahahhah

8. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    One thing that a lot of people say is:

"ZOMG! Teh iPh0nez sux b/c it haz no BuTT0nZ!!"

I think that the lack of buttons is better. A lot of people say:

"ZOMG I H8 viRtyooal D-PADZ"

But virtual D-Pads are excactly the same as hardware D-Pads, you just can't feel them.

The lack of hard controls also allows for a smaller device and a much wider option for control schemes.

The easy access to incredibly good, cheap games and apps is another thing that separates the iPhone from the competition. Nothing will ever be able to emulate the app store, no matter how hard it tries.

------------------------

Bottom line:

iPhone/iPod touch pwns.

9. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    #9 Masmo, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    The iPhone/iPod touch is good but from time to time I still go back to my PSP because I still love the games that are coming out for the PSP. Loco Roco is basically Rolando, Grand Turismo is coming out as well for the PSP which might triumph Real Racing, Medal of honor is better than brothers in arms, Tekken Dark Ressurection is better than blades of fury. I just think most PSP games are superior to most of te iPhone apps. Sony probably realized it was easier to have games stored in the device itself and not in as someone has previously mentioned, clunky UMDs. Thus they made the PSP Go which removes the UMD slot and comes with a 16GB memory stick. To Derek, sure it might be cheaper but one is probably expecting $40 games when one buys a PSP. The iPhone is smaller than the PSP Go but it's not a huge difference I really don't mind. The multi touch sure is unique but sometimes they block your view and I don't mind physical buttons. The iPhone sure has some great and unique games which is probably why they are kinda cheap. They might not have as much depth as a PSP game buy they have the best bang for your buck. I think the PSP is a more serious gaming platform while the iPhone is easily accesible for all ages. I mean, you don't see a 5 year old playing Resistance Retribution everyday, do you? Many might not agree, after all, this is an iPhone gaming forum. Well that's my view and I still don't regret buying my iPod touch because there are a still a lot of great pick up and play games.

Oh and I just typed all of this on my iPod. :eek:

10. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    #10 kugi_igi, Sep 22, 2009
    everyone has a point,after all,the point is that iDevices is an awsome and very useful device but it's just that things are meant for its purpose,PSP/DS for gaming while iDevice is for great level of multi-functionality.

EDIT:if samsung will make another omnia with multi-touch,accelorometer,powerful graphics chip,massive application support,good marketing,that would be a monster,that might beat everyone,hahahahahah

11. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    Here is what I think...

DS < iPod Touch

I dont have a PSP, so I'm not sure on that one...

12. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Until the battery life and controls improve substantially on the iDEvices it will never replace the DS or PSP. Period.

13. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    How do you improve the controls, huh?

Give it physical buttons?

That, my friend, would suck.

14. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Quite a dead horse. Pretty much everything could be said must have been said. But carry on.

15. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Battery of my iPhone lasts longer than the battery of my PSP

16. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #16 GDSage, Sep 22, 2009
    The PSP and DS have been host to many of the best this generation, there is no comparison. Both the DS and PSP are not only represented better in a wider catalogue of genres but the peak of those genres spank the iPhone like there is no tomorrow.

As for the future, this is very unlikely to change because

a) Western devs are completely focused on consoles, they may take a look at portables with regards to support but their major focus will be on consoles.

b) Unlike western devs the majority of Japan dev support is for portables, but these devs are focused on DS and PSP. With good reason, as both platforms completely dominate Japan, in addition to the world.

With these points under consideration, iPhone may get a look in every now and again but the quality and support doesn't and is unlikely to ever compare.

I know people are fond of the iPhone, but it isn't the be-all. It is leading with regards to digital distribution, however that comes with its own set of problems (as the pricing scheme is skewed to such an extent that is actually discourages AAA resources and effort from devs). It is better at portability, but again that comes at the cost of no tactile controls.

The only real upperhand I find it has is in the indie developer scene, Sony and Nintendo have been very slow on the uptake with regards to courting an independent developer scene (though this isn't surprising of Nintendo as they are a very conservative business, Sony on the other hand...) and it is only now, after the public options of Microsofts XNA and Apples iPhone dev kit that they are opening up more.

... Er, that's what makes them so different, and why tactile controls and infinitely more superior to virtual ones.

It is called "cognitive learning / response" and the simple fact of the matter is controls you can feel and touch (that have feedback) results in better response and intuitiveness from the user. What this means for devs is you can have games hit a higher peak of required reflex to play them, than a game that has no tactile feedback. It is why the very best of fighting games (that demand such a peak in reflex) will not be the same on a tactile-less device. In a one-vs-one fighting game, a tactile-user would have the upperhand against a tactile-less user.

And let us not mention that there is less controls on a tactile-less device, because to have more means to take up more real estate on the screen. For example, you'd never get Monster Hunter exactly as it is on the iPhone because the amount of controls it needs in addition to requiring fighting-game level reflex means it is highly unsuitable for a tactile-less device. It would be a inferior shell on a tactile-less device.

17. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    I really have NEVER had any problems with the controls on the iPod Touch. I love how small and sleek it is. I love that I can play it out in public and not feel like a grown man playing games (because of the lack of buttons you really could be doing anything on it). I'd feel like an idiot pulling out a DS or PSP in public. Maybe it's just me.

18. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    There was another thread on this same topic and it got pretty nasty in there because basically each one appeals to a different niche. This is an iDevice forum so of course people will say that this one is the best and if you go to a DS forum they will say its the best and the same with PSP. Now with the PSPgo looking like a copy cat with buttons THEY will say its the best. So it all depends what you like and don't like.

Personally I have all three because there are titles exclusive to all three (though PSP hasn't peaked my interest since the Prinny game few months ago, but Monster Hunter is a go to game too). Scribblenauts, Layton, Mario and Luigi RPG and the upcoming Kingdom Hearts for DS won't get ported to the iTouch and the ones that came out already are a lot of fun! And yet my iTouch comes with me everywhere I go since there are a lot of titles I can play for just a few minutes at a time on that - do a couple levels etc. So even with all three I can't choose the best.

Depends on when how what you want to play and definitely your age. A parent is more likely to buy a DS for their kid than a PSP and even an iTouch. Not to say the games are more kiddish but they have a variety of games for all ages just like the app store. Just look at the titles I just mentioned. And look at their target audience on commercials - everyone. But I digress, the point is if a kid drops loses breaks their DS its not as much to replace it.

If you like controllers and the physical feedback they give then the others are for you. The PSPgo from what I read is going to be similar to iDevices but with controllers and probably more expensive downloads. But there will be hardcore Sony fans that will swear by that too.

I think it can be possible for all to be the best in their own right and not compare. I would say look at the other thread for what happened when this topic was raised!

19. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    And herein lies my point. Everyone will have a favorite. The battery and controls ARE an issue for complex games. People have suggested a control that plugs in the bottom but then how is that making this a portable unit? You get what you get with each. No perfect gaming device.

One said they like the controls better on the others - the other said that would @$%*. Personal preference. The merits of each are very high or else none would continue to sell. If I recall the Neo Geo tried to make a US run but people didn't like it and poof it was gone. So until one of them goes away, they are all viable options even if for different people.

20. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    #20 fenrir911, Sep 22, 2009
    I dont know, indie devs have been on the psp, just for different things. Homebrew anyone... the main reason I had my psp was for homebrew, being able to play n64 games and cspsp, and emulate all of those awesome machines... I dont know... I shed a tear when I gave it to my friend... I miss GTA: stories with Cheatdevice... Strmmmnrmmm with daedalus, Dark Alex (not to mention ditlew and fanjita) with all of the CFW's, and the thousands of people who ported, and made games for the PSP. The community was my main gripe when switching over to the iPod... I couldnt find one, then I stumbled upon this site. I just wish there were more 'homebrewers' out there.

There are so many competitions held every year just for people to create awesome homebrew, I dont recall the name of the contest, but I remember it had different sections for games, utilities, applications and the like, I hope one day that contest will head to the iPod so that I can see some of the homebrewers head to the iPod. (exophase joined which made me happy) but I would like to see the people who ported over OpenBOR, and the person who created Wagic (thats right an MTG game that features every card) and battle fantasy and... CS2d, and... Gosh its been so long that I cant even remember... Well I hope one day our community turns into that of the PSP.

EDIT: The competition was called NEO summer coding competition :)