Universal Tiny Tower: 5th Anniversary Edition (by NimbleBit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Same here... any audio I play skips constantly while playing the game. 1.0.1 is no different.

2. pixelchild

pixelchild Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    i'm not sure why people are jumping all over you all because you don't agree with the majority in thinking this game is ridiculously great. i personally have put over ten hours in the game... but i also find it repetitive. like you said, it's basically one of those sow/wait/reap games. i think it's wonderfully designed and themed and i enjoyed this game but it got boring after the novelty wore off. i applaud the game for what it is but i'm more the micro-manager sim guy like game dev story or simtower, etc.

personally i actually found that cruise ship game a little more fun but that's probably because i'm going on a cruise later this year and well, i'm a bit more biased... but that game didn't last long on my iphone either.

great game for what it is meant to do and graphics for people that do like it though!

3. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    This is more of a toy than a game. It's still great, but not a typical "game" as some people expect.

4. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Did this start once your tower was a certain height or has it done that since the beginning?

5. Saxonius

Saxonius Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Not true in the least. When the iPhone 4 upscales low res graphics, it smoothes them out, which makes most games look better since the graphics would otherwise be pixel-ly. By the same token, pixel-based graphics look much worse since those crisp lines and colors become muddied by the smoothing process.

6. Putosaure

Putosaure Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Seriously dude, I'm not arguing about 8bit graphics, I love them. I just point that, unlike the picture in the OP, there's no Retina Display on iPod Touch 4. Please check the Retina picture on the left, and my picture on the right on the capture I attach to this post (at a scale of 100%).

Anyway, to me it doesn't matter if there is Retina support or not, I keep playing the game anyway. Just gets blurry when I look at my tower from far away :)

Attached Files:

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Hey, no worries. If you think about it, you're now in a position where you can see what other people have done, and you might have an easier go, rather than a bunch of questions on how to do the game. Regardless, have fun - who cares, it's just... FUN :D

Then you're doing something wrong. You spend 250 TB upgrading the elevator, but you're not getting any TB? You seem to be the only one who is having that issue. Between the Waldo and the tips, I am constantly getting money money money MONEY ;) Oh, and then for fully stocking stores, I'm also getting some there, too. I bought $5 worth of TB at the start, but since all has been earned in game and I've spent about 150 on cash conversion, purchased all elevators, spent TB to rent at least 20 spaces - So it does work.

SO GLAD I am not the only one. Once it go to a certain height. I'm at 34 floors now and I kept thinking it was my system, I'd restart and it would help, but not for much.

This would be great to have fixed :D

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mm-hmm, as I mentioned in another thread, I reached 22 floors before setting the game aside permanently, and from floor 14 or so I was really only going through the motions; even by the eighth floor or so you've pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. It's repetitive, challenge-free, and ultimately pointless, although initially also highly addictive.

Given that the game replaces succeed/fail with succeed/succeed slightly slower, claims that the game has great amounts of strategy are a gross exaggeration. The most significant decision you can make is whether you "play" the game (which amounts to ferrying people up the elevator and waiting for the hunt minigame to pop up), or not play it and just check back every couple of hours to restock items and every so often tack another generic floor on to the tower, which in turn only adds to the grind. There are no dramatic choices you can make that drastically alter the game's flow.

TT has a certain naive charm, and as a toy it can be a novel diversion to check in on (for a small while, at least), but it really isn't much of an actual game.

9. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Now they just need to work on an update that makes the game fun to play.

:confused:

10. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    oh snap!

11. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    The only thing that keeps me going back to this game is because I want to get the fortune teller floor..after that I'll probably stop playing, maybe after the mapple store too..don't know why but there's a bit of excitement every floor you build wondering what you'll get, even if yoube already seen what every store looks like from other ppls towers.
    Hope they bring out more floors later, can't imagine any reason at all to keep playing once you've gotten all 100 businesses/appartmentd

Nimble bit should let ppl submit and vote for the new business types.

Wouldn't mind a brothel and a strip club..
    Maybe a junkie safe-room, and a tobacconist,
    Alcoholics anonymous. A methadone dispensing room, rehab etc
    Needs more badass rooms, or at least unique and not so boring -like fortune teller.

12. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The part I quoted was this:
    I don't know what he meant to say, but I do know what he said ;)

"typical freemium annoyances" does not translate to "what I wanted was a more in-depth builder sim but instead all I found was a lightweight time management game with a splash of very lightweight builder sim".

13. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You do realize your so-called "retina" display screenshot was from an iPad right?

I can't tell for certain, being 8 bit graphics and all, but I'm pretty sure the game is working as intended on the iPod fourth gen.

14. Putosaure

Putosaure Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    #994 Putosaure, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah sorry, it was an iPad screenshot. An iPad with a 960x640 screen. :D

http://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/100/Purple/3e/ef/af/mzl.bgoqfjyh.png

Attached Files:

15. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    ^ what he said.

The iPad version has a border, the actual game screen looks like the exact same size as pixel doubled iPhone games on the iPad, so the iPad version is the right dimensions and resolution as a retina display. So it would be very easy I assume to make it display correctly on a iPhone 4.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I noticed this too, but in a way I kinda like it the way it is... the graphics are intentionally retro anyway, so suddenly throwing in high res imagery breaks that spell a little. I don't care if I can't see the details while zoomed out, that's what zooming back in is for. When I'm zoomed out all I'm looking at is how tall the tower is, and I can see that just fine.

I wouldn't complain if they made the change, but I wouldn't complain if they didn't either.

Maybe we just need to update you with an awesomeness comprehension chip.

17. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Whoops, read the caption *under* the screen shot, not the one on top :eek:

18. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    That's what's up with some popular games these days. Farmville worked similarly, correct?

That's just how Nimblebit has been working with their past two games. Anyhow, I still consider it a tycoon game, which is really addicting and fun so far ^_^

19. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Floor Numbers

Someone else suggested earlier in the thread that making the floor numbers white (or bright) would make them easier to see suring passenger ferrying. I heartily agree and hope the devs will consider this for some future update.

Might this happen?

20. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Since I absolutely hate seeing a construction worker VIP go to waste, I am trying to always have at least one floor under construction. Probably others are doing the same.