Universal IMPOSSIBLE ROAD - (by Kevin Ng)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 8, 2013.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well just got a score of 102, my blood pressure went through the roof, thank god I have medication for that, Ha Ha.

2. PixelsOnToast

PixelsOnToast Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    v1.0.3 is live!

[​IMG]

Version 1.0.3
    - Support for iCade peripherals
    - Quick restart: touch your score to show the quick restart button. Touch again to restart. This means you can double-tap your score for a super quick restart.
    - High scores saved locally when not logged in to Game Center. Uploaded next time you are logged in.
    - Best score shown on Game Over screen
    - Game Center icon is dimmed when not logged in.

iCade controls
    Steer with the stick, or using two of the face buttons. Press E1 and E2 together to quick restart.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    This is a clever, elegant, unobtrusive piece of design. As such, I predict that your App Store reviews and this thread will still be full of people complaining that it doesn't exist or that they can't find it!

4. PixelsOnToast

Jan 5, 2010
    No doubt. I did try a restart button, but it spoilt the aesthetic somewhat. No matter what changes come in the updates, I'll try to stay faithful to the original vision.

5. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Care to comment?

6. Woohoo!!

I am sooooo excited!!!

[​IMG]

When I get home, I will take some hdmi tv shots!

[​IMG]

7. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Van somebody please give me some extra hints on how to play this game. Had at least 200 tries and got 2 points once , most of the times my game ends within 10 seconds. Yeah I know, I must be the dumbest player there is, but I would like to enjoy this game, so if anybody can give me a little help ?

8. Scorpion008

Jun 18, 2011
    #148 Scorpion008, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    If you are accepting update requests, I would like ask that either there always be track near enough that every fall guarantees one possible hit with track further down, or, at time to the death timer and put a vacuum mechanism to suck the fallen ball into the direction of the nearest track. OR, have holding down on the middle third of the screen increase your downward acceleration (think tiny wings).

I found a weird thing with the physics. If the ball hits the underside of a track or occasionally the edge, it goes through onto the topside of the track. Also if you land on the narrow part of the track you slow down significantly.

Finally, you MUST figure out a way to restart faster after dying, it takes way to long in my opinion. Perhaps have the restart button "work" for a few milliseconds into your death, as I am often only able to make the first tap for the restart button to appear, before I have to wait to die and reload the level.

Lastly, don't feel the need to add levels or colors"; streamlining the physics and cheat mechanism is much mor important. As well, I LOVE your minimalistic style.

9. PixelsOnToast

Jan 5, 2010
    I think you need to master both staying on the track and air moves to attain the higher scores. There are some points on the track where you simply can't fall to a lower level, so you'll need to ride these out even if you are super skilled at jumping.

Conversely, mastering jumping / falling is important to keep your score going when things go wrong...

10. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I love this game but occasionally the physics can be frustratingly wonky. Like when I'm falling and hit the edge of the road and go flying off in the other direction with no chance at all of recovering

But the quick restart is perfect! And ironically that's exactly how I was thinking it could work, by tapping the score, without sticking out.

Would love to see even crazier tracks. Definitely think corkscrews and loops would be amazing.
    This game is like the best Hot Wheels game ever so those kinds of track variation would just be great. And maybe branching tracks that loop around and through each other, would have to choose which path to take

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I think this would kill the suicidal jumps that everybody is trying to do. There's something nice to that "hey, it seems I can reach that section... Let's try!" which would be lost if there's always a track near.

What I'd like is different colour configurations which are unlocked at different scores: reach 100 for red, reach 200 for green, etc. That would look cool and wouldn't change gameplay :)

12. Scorpion008

Jun 18, 2011
    To each his own. Anyway, any updates possible Kevin NG?

13. PixelsOnToast

Jan 5, 2010
    Updates are definitely on the cards, and this thread is one of the main places I'm watching. At the same time, I'm trying to be a careful curator and not turn the game into a thing you didn't sign up for. The original vision will be kept through all updates.

Which leads me nicely into 1.0.4, hopefully approved by Apple some time next week:

- Zero load time between menu and game
    - Option to turn sound completely off (useful for listening to podcasts, for example, where any sound at all is a distraction)
    - Game Center cached score bug fix
    - Shader optimisations

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Ironically, there is nothing ironic about that statement.

Seriously, though, have fans of the game seen Pocket Gamer's Impossible Road compo? I think you need a score of 297 or above to be in with a shot at a prize right now.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Impossible+Road/feature.asp?c=51100

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Thank you

16. PixelsOnToast

Jan 5, 2010
    1.0.4 is live right now:

- Drastically reduced waits between menu and game
    - Option to turn sound completely off
    - Flatter, non-glossy icon
    - Shader optimisations

The reduced waits were achieved by removing the load between menu and game (and game and menu). There is a brief pause as the world is rebuilt, but retries are now MUCH faster.

17. bestkevin

bestkevin Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Is it a game that uses ur music library?

18. PixelsOnToast

Jan 5, 2010
    You can use your own music library through the Music app, the game won't override it. Just turn off the game music in the main menu.

19. Scorpion008

Jun 18, 2011
    Will you ever update to allow the "cheat" to be more useful, in whatever way you decide (more airtime, track always below you, gravitate to the track, hold to drop, etc.)?

20. PixelsOnToast

Jan 5, 2010
    A good guide to what changes to expect is, nothing that would invalidate the leaderboards. So changes to core gameplay are out, but feature additions are in. For example, adding unlockable themes wouldn't change core gameplay, or invalidate the leaderboards. And features will need to be added carefully too, in alignment with the original vision.