Universal Bug Heroes (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nekcik, Jan 6, 2011.

1. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Just made it to round 44 on kitchen. Game is just waiting for you to make a mistake past round 30 and doing anything wrong leads to your death. And there were about 50 baby spiders on screen and I couldn't move any of my characters except for Spider. It's incredibly easy to get killed at this point, especially with MG teams, Slugs, and cockroaches. Before you know it, you're trapped in against a wall and getting slammed by three MG teams and a snail or two. I lost ~600 health in ten seconds. I know the game was never intended to be played past round 20, but people want to get their turrets maxed out, their heroes to level 20, and the best equipment money can buy, and they keep playing until that happens. The game needs to be balanced better so it's possible to make it to higher rounds and still make a mistake.

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Sorry for triple post but 1000th reply!

3. ^ Now, that's just plain cheating. Congrats to Bug Heroes and Foursaken Media! Now... to 2000? :p

4. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    happened again.

I got to round 31 on kitchen hard this time. 59585 points. good for 12th on the leaderboard.
    bug heroes crashed when I tried to post the score. grrr.
    I'll send the crash log again if you want. sigh.
    the worst part is that it took nearly a whole hour, and it won't be much fun to try again because the game is so laggy for about the last 10 or more rounds.
    hmph.
    I attached the screenshot I took with my score if anybody cares.....

Attached Files:

5. broadpfc

broadpfc Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    that is not a bad score!! For me, I think the most fun happen in the middle stage. The game does need to add more elements in later rounds.

6. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Sigh, yeah send over the crash logs -- obviously that shouldn't be happening... but to be fair about performance, you have an ipod touch 1g right? Also the limitations on baby spiders should help out a bit late game.

Baby spiders getting to insane amounts is fixed... they are now limited to 30 at once, which is still a lot but if there are 3 giant spiders, they won't keep sending more and more at you ;) Currently its quite possible to be getting swarmed by 90 babies at once :eek: Btw the game was intended to play past Round 20... it just was intended to pretty much max out at round 40-50 for the very best players. As far as the difficulty at round 44... isn't that the point? If we make it easier to make a mistake at that level, then that is just making the game easier, and we'll see people lasting even longer then they can now (100+ rounds). Just fyi right now damage and health of enemies increases by 1% per round after round 20... Also remember that enemies do not increase in number after round 24, its just their strength.

Anyway, what would you suggest?

Imo the most fun is from rounds 15-30... I actually really think its fun when you DO make a mistake and you're trying to just hold out, hoping to revive a dead hero or cash in on some food to replenish your almost dead base ;) To me being on the ropes is the cool part! I can't count the times I've been really close to dead, only to make an epic comeback by gathering a huge stash of food and turning things around :)

Do you have any suggestions though for late game? I know people were throwing around very hard quests that would only show up late game... what kinds of quests? Ideas?

7. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Ok. Here's my strategy and my take on the heroes, abilities...etc. Forgive me if I get anything wrong. This is just from my experience, or if this is the wrong place to post this.

Defenses:

I build 4 Machine Guns for defense, though this strategy may soon be outdated.

Zappers: Really useful, but currently not useful enough to take the place of a fourth Machine Gun.

Snipers: Heavy in damage, but just not powerful enough late-game to make up for the fact that it's nearly useless against smaller bugs.

Bug Bomb Turrets: Does anyone use these?

Fire Crackers: Not of much use currently, but I'm looking forward to test em out next patch.

Laser Turrets: Very useful for tight maps like Kitchen, but I wouldn't use it in open ones like Yard and Playroom. Currently not as useful as Machine Guns.

Magnifier Turret: Powerful, but not reliable. You can't afford to make any mistakes later in the game, and if you get swarmed at night, you're toast.

Heroes:

Early game: my default hero is spider, simply because he's fast and deadly, and best suited for collecting food and eliminating the bugs which give the defenses trouble. I switch to beetle when to kill the little bugs, and use ant to shoot at things when I don't have anything specific to do.

Mid-game: it depends on the situation, but I pretty much play with all heroes equally. Nothing special about my use of Beetle and Ant, but I switch to Spider to assassinate the boss-bugs (Grub Launchers, Queen Ants, Giant Spiders...etc) as soon as they spawn using her abilities, namely Assassin Bomb and Superior Assassin.

Late-game: I play mostly with Beetle, as he's the best hero to support the base defenses with his large AOE, stuns and knock backs. Sometimes I switch to ant to defend against certain bugs, like scorpions. Ant is very effective against scorpions.

Stats:

Ant:
    1- Lucky Shot: Essential to make Ant's attacks useful. I level this up fully before anything else.
    2- Speed: Essential to avoid all kinds of attacks.
    3- Static Charge: Mildly helpful against smaller bugs.
    4- HP: I only invest in HP when I'm done with all the others. I don't let myself be attacked often enough to warrant putting points in HP. Besides, more HP doesn't decrease the amount of food you need to heal up your heroes.

Beetle:

1- Armor: I find Armor to be the most important stat early in the game if you want to use Beetle often. You need your armor to be as tough as possible to fight large groups of bugs without having to gobble up your food supply. Beetle isn't quick enough to dodge incoming attacks.
    2- Stun: This is essential for maximum effectiveness of Beetle, but if your armor is not good enough mid to late game, you won't be able to withstand the heat for long. Besides, an upgraded weapon provides sufficient stuns and knock-backs.
    3- Regen: Sometimes I split my points between this and stun if I find that Beetle is taking a lot of damage. Very useful, especially when you use other bugs and leave Beetle to regenerate.
    4- HP: See Ant.

Spider:

1- Speed: Spider doesn't need Assassinate to be effective early-game, especially if you upgrade his weapon, but speed is extremely useful for avoiding attacks and gathering food, and reaching the boss-bugs before they do too much damage.
    2- Assassinate: Maximize Spider's usefulness in combat.
    3- Self-defense: I don't really notice it's usefulness, but it probably saved my life a few times.
    4- HP: See Beetle.

Abilities/Equipment:

Ant:

Weapon: I learned to upgrade this early in the game, to make Ant's attacks a bit useful. Ant's default weapon is less useful than Beetle's and Spider's.

Life Support: Very useful. Sometimes I get it early-game, sometimes mid-game, depending on how much damage I take and how much food I manage to stock.

Porta-Turret: I don't find it to be of much use in Adventure, as it becomes less and less useful with time, but it's pretty useful in the arenas.

Shoulder Turret: I haven't found much use of this.

Better Base Guns: Pretty useful, but there are much better investments in my opinion.

Repulsar Waves: I only use it when there are a lot of ranged attackers when I want to use Entrench. Entrench's pushback takes care of the melee attackers.

Ant Hole: Very helpful when you find yourself surrounded, or when your base needs defending while you're away.

Teleporter: Very useful to escape tight situations, though I prefer to use Ant Hole for that. But it is more useful than Ant Hole for completing some quests, like getting to that coin or guarded slave in the corner, and then using Ant Hole to get the hell out of there.

Burrow Mines: I've only tried it a few times, but I didn't find it of much use.

Entrench: I find this to be an essential ability. Extremely useful in pushing away and killing centipedes, scorpions, snails and pretty much everything.

Plasma Cannon: I find that execute does a better job of damaging large groups of bugs.

Howitzer: Extremely useful for taking out groups of bugs, armored or otherwise, especially when they're in multiple packs. One of my favorite abilities.

Beetle:

Weapon: Essential for making use of Beetle's attacks mid-game and late-game.

Adrenalin: Not a priority, but pretty useful when you're about to get overwhelmed, as it allows you to push back even centipedes.

Shield: Useful if you find your Beetle's armor to be insufficient, and very useful in defending your base against butterflies. Wait for them to get close, stun them then take them out with Spider.

Warrior Gauntlet: One of the essential items. Use when trying to get to a tough target, like a heavily guarded Queen Ant, or groups of Assassin Bugs. I use Spider to take the best advantage of the stun. It also improves armor, so combine with shield to create an unstoppable tank.

Stampede: Very useful in some cases, but more situational than Earthquake.

Squash 'Em: I find it to be much less useful than Assassin's Bomb. Though I was told it has a much lower cooldown, I find it to be identical to the cooldown of Assassin Bomb. I do find it useful for taking down butterflies though, but Shield does the trick in most situations, in addition to the bonus armor. Unlike Assassin Bomb, it's not guaranteed to instantly kill Queen Ants or Giant Spiders, since it does 1/3 of its damage to my knowledge, and it only hits one target.

Shockwaves: This is an awesome ability when you're about to get overwhelmed. It provides great AOE pushback and does significant damage. It's kinda like Howitzer, but with more focus on pushback than damage.

Colossus: Essential in late-game. I only get it after getting Wrench. The increased damage and pushback is so satisfying. It's probably my favorite item. Activate it to crush groups of tough bugs, like the large siege grubs and armored ants.

Spider:

Weapon: Essential upgrade, though I tend to upgrade it later in the game when I need to become less dependent on my abilities to kill stuff.

Snare Web: Great ability. I keep a web near my base all the time to slow, stun and soften up enemy bugs.

Superior Assassin: One of the first abilities I get. It increases Spider's speed, slows down all enemies, and improves your chance for critical strikes, allowing you to complete quests, gather food and find and assassinate bugs with ease. It has an excellent duration and cooldown. I use it to find Grub Launchers theywhen spawn before they start attacking.

Night Hunter: Useful in large maps to run around in the night and complete quests, and to assassinate bugs more quickly, but I find it to be a luxury item.

Executioner: One of the most useful abilities in the game. The only problem is that you can scatter the enemies in different directions, which can be a problem, especially against Grubs.

Poison Cloud: I haven't managed to find a good use for this one yet.

Iron Hood: Situational. I'd only get it if I frequently find myself having to use spider in situations dominated by small bugs, which became less frequent as I got better at the game.

Assassin Bomb: An essential ability, used to easily take out queens, giant spiders and other giant bugs. I once managed to kill 3 giant snails with one of these. It takes 6 seconds to detonate, so sometimes I have to activate Superior Assassin to slow down the bugs before they get out of its range, or shield to stun them while they're above it. Some argue that it's difficult to use, but that's most certainly not the case against dangerous stationary bugs. I find it to be far more useful than Beetle's Squash 'Em.

Money:

I save my money until I need specific items. In the beginning I focus on upgrading all my turrets and my food stash, but after a certain point, I start saving, and purchasing my items as I need them. For example, as soon as I see that a queen ant spawned, I buy Assassin Bomb and run looking for her. When I find myself surrounded I buy Ant Hole and escape.

8. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Wow those are some EXCELLENT tips! I found myself saying "that is exactly what I do!" with a lot of your descriptions ;) Great stuff.

9. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    yeah, it actually is amazing that the 1st generation ipod touch, which originally came out in 2007 just as a music player and web browser, can even play a game like this.
    I'll send the crash logs... info(at)foursakenmedia.com is where you want them sent to, right?

wow, thanks for the guide. very useful!

10. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    damn some of these strategy guides are just plain insane.

11. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    #991 Oxynidus, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    So I got to round 78 in Yard (Hard). Sorry, can't resist bragging. :D But I've experienced an issue. During the game, Beetle was surrounded at the northern edge of the base, and I tapped on him so I could switch abilities, but instead of getting the heroes' menu, I got the base's. I cancelled and tapped as far as I can from the base, and still got the base's menu. I tried the third time and the same thing happened, so I lost Beetle. It was so annoying. Is there anything that can be done about this?

12. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    unbelievable!!
    what turrets?

yeah, I have had that problem too. it is part of the reason I suggested this:

13. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Dang thats insane! I had a hard enough time making it to round 10 to unlock the magnifier. That map is just so big:eek:

14. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    Good ol' 4x Machine Guns. Cheap strategy, but hey, it wasn't easy. :D The most difficult rounds were 19 to 22 or so, and it got easier after that.

15. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Brought this up for internal discussion. On one hand we want to make sure you're not fumbling around to tap on your base, but on the other I have had this happen myself where I accidentally open up the base menu instead of the hero menu...

16. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    in what way do you level up your MGs?
    do you buy all 4, and then get each turret to level 1, and then all of them to level 2, etc.
    or do you buy one and upgrade it all the way to level 5, then buy another and upgrade it to level 5, etc?

17. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    #997 Oxynidus, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
    I level them up evenly, in general. Focusing on upgrading the turrets one at a time isn't as effective.

18. broadpfc

broadpfc Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    looks like you have made a significant step on yard. Congratulations!!!

19. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    alright, good to know.
    thanks.

20. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    Alright, I've understood what was going on. I was just confused because the base was right by my hero, and I instinctively kept tapping away from the base to avoid getting the base's menu instead of aiming for my hero. I was confused by the mechanics of it.