Has iOS gaming ruined our perception of "instant gratification"?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Jun 14, 2013.

1. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    lol!!!

2. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Something I'd like for the iOS gaming's future would be Apple to make something about the advertising. The App Store it's full of crappy games like Man of Steel recently and games alike. It'd be great if they focus on sell quality games.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Whatever the quality of a game is, apple gets a cut from it. Why would they want to reduce their earning? No way that's going to happen.

4. Farfield

Jul 15, 2011
    Yeah, you're right. I certainly waiting Apple to change his ways, making a market of complex, deep and better elaborated games. The profit can be larger with an endless runner versus a major quality game and that's says much about the way of the store.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... sadly it's a harsh world. And more so when we realize, it's the consumers (that means us) that made it this way.

6. Farfield

Jul 15, 2011
    Exactly man, I mean, it's okay if there are equal between casual games like endless runners and Candy Crush and some, but it's frustrating when the people rather those games to a high quality game. Of course the public it's different, iOS it's not a handheld and isn't focus on gaming like 3DS and Vita, but there are several developers making great games and ports. I don't know, it's not I don't understand, maybe it's just the nostalgic after seeing the E3.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Exactly, Socrates.

8. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Haha, philosophy hour on TA. Leave that stuff to us Greeks. ;)

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, even before ios I was terrible at finishing games. I can't remember the last game I played to completion. Honestly, it might be Deus Ex...back in the late '90's.

10. Really?! I finally beat Grand Theft Auto IV on Friday, and I've had that game for about a year. I know what you mean though man.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I finished GTA IV within a week and got a "Key to the City" from Rockstar in a little presentation box... which I then sold on eBay for more than I paid for the game.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its a catch 22, i love the fact there are so many games, i do enjoy dipping in and out of so many.

I wouldnt try and complete a game within a few days or a week, its like 9th Dawn i'm loving taking my time with that, i dont get why people rush to finish it and then its all over in a few days.

Love the variety of games for iOS, i cant stand the endless runner style games which we get week in week out. Its weird as i love platform games so would enjoy lots of different platform games as to me theyre all different but runners seem more of the same, freemium and making the app store much worse (but then again people might say the same about platformers)

I do think we're spoilt considering the price of games, again we get amazing value for these games even if theyre a few dollars. Thats why its so depressing hearing people go on about 'i'll wait till it drops from 99c to free' or 'can someone tell me if this only has 900 levels, i want more for my 99c' type comments. I mean its a DOLLAR. Amazing value

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Believe it or not, we should be glad Apple at least has some quality control. You should see some of the crap on Android -- things with titles like Undress Sexy Girls. Of course, the flip side is that emulators are able to be freely out in the open.

14. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    #54 chimpman252, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    This goes back to a post I made a while ago on the Dead Trigger 2 thread:
    I used to be awful at buying tons of crap games. Every Gameloft release I'd stay up to buy the literal second it was available in my store. There'd always be something about them I didn't like, wouldn't finish them, but would again readily snatch up the sequel. I'm kind of ashamed and disappointed with how much money I've wasted on iOS games I'd never complete. Now I'm REALLY careful about purchases, try to get apps from freeappslots.com, and in extreme cases will get a refund.

Things will hopefully get better in the future, especially with the emphasis on mobile this E3. We'll start getting real, quality games on the platform that actually will have us playing them to completion.

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #55 bigrand1, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    Well, the issue is because of your parenting! Instead, you should teach your children, "Do as I say and not as I do!" :D As an adult, you can do and buy what you please and IMO you shouldn't feel guilty about it and there's no reason to worry about it if you have lots of money to blow. You are teaching them the right values, to be sure! When they get older, they can do what ever they want. You just have fun! Remember, the man who dies with the most toys wins!!! ;)

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    TBH, they aren't privy to all of my iOS purchasing (neither is my wife ;) ). So I can get away with it!

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    * duplicate post *

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Allright then, as it should be, brother! :D

19. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    This is one of the reasons. The other is the massive quantity of good games being released every week.
    I had an Android phone in 2011, there weren't many good games for the platform then. So when I got a good one like Battleheart or Dungeon Hunter and even some Gameloft knockoffs like the Final Fantasy one (forgot the name) I played the crap out of it.

iOS kinda spoiled me because after getting my iPad, I barely play a game before being distracted by the new shiny, and that includes premium priced games for my Mac like Diablo III, The Witcher 2, Skyrim. It's like having so much choice spoiled my gaming habits even for the expensive stuff.

Of course I wouldn't have a ton of iOS games if they weren't dirt cheap so you have a point, but the fact that usually there's at least one game every week that pleases me is the main reason I dont seem to commit to one for more than a week.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Let's begin, what, where, why, or when
    Will all be explained like instructions to a game
    See I'm not insane, in fact, I'm kind of rational
    When I be asking you, "who is more dramatical? "
    This one or that one, the white one or the black one
    Pick the punk, and I'll jump up to attack one
    Vovin is just the guy to lead a crew
    Right up to your face and dis you