Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Just finished the game (I played the original way back when) and, although I learned to work around the interface issues, I can say without a doubt that if the game were any less good, I wouldn't have persevered. I also found my ADHD kicking in whenever anybody cast an area-effect spell in combat. Everything slows to a frickin' crawl; it's as if they secretly built the app in Flash and are running it through an Android to iOS emulator. To put this in perspective, BG ran better on my 80mHz PC than it does on my iPad 3, which must be at least 50X faster. If they fix just these two issues, 99% of the complaints would be resolved (IMHO).

That being said, I had a blast playing through the campaign. When I hit the level cap, I exported my Kensai Fighter into the Black Pits mini-game and ran him all the way to level 9 before dual-classing to a Mage in preparation for BG2 (no experience cap in Black Pits). If you want a crash course in party combat, start there rather than the campaign, and then export your character (with gear intact!) into the main game after a few quick levels. Especially for those who are new to the game, this will give you a tremendous edge in the early game, and can hedge off a lot of frustration. I also recommend you spend as much time as you can stand rolling stats as you're going to be stuck with them pretty much forever (it is VERY difficult to raise them in-game).

Lastly, you know that handy little button in the lower right corner that lights up everything that can be interacted with? Using it will make finding the game's easter eggs (Ring of Wizardry, Ahkheg Armor, etc) trivial.

2. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Anyone experiencing lots of crashes on the Mini? It has the same amount of ram as the iPad 2. So if the iPad 2 is crashing because of ram limitations, the Mini should crash just as often.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I'm on iPad 2 and i've gotten several crashes through 50 or so hours of play. It appears to be random but it does seem to happen more when I sleep or the game is loading a new map. I'd say I get one every 40 minutes, which isn't too bad, but if you forget to save it can be a pain.

And of course there's the crash when you click on Boo the Hamster, but that's known.

(I'm on iOS 6.0.1 and did a DFU restore just two weeks ago so that might be a factor)

4. jamessh1

jamessh1 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Just wanted to say as an ipad2 user I think I've had two or three crashes in probably 40 hours of gameplay.

After 40 hours .....it's an interesting game . Very challenging out of the Gate but manageable after a few level ups and you get the hang of the combat system .

I had anticipated dropping this in favor of ravensword 2 when released . I've bought that app as well but have yet to even start it up due to my BG addiction in my very limited spare time:)

First time playing and have no regrets :)

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thank you.

Had considered starting with the pits to learn the game a bit, but hadn't heard anyone recommending it, so I was thinking "maybe it's more of a hardcore experience, for veteran players"... I'm happy to hear you suggesting that, and also mentioning that we can export our character and use it in the game after leveling up. I'll probably do that!

Cheers.

6. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    The Black Pits are really good for getting the hang of party combat, fully agree on that.
    Over the various battles, they throw everything imaginable (and then some) at you, from nasty AoE effects to traps and seemingly invulnerable monsters.

If you are on the lookout for some hints, check this thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=169628 . But I recommend that you just start playing BP and see how far you get. The one caveat I have is that some things are really hard to figure out without knowledge of the (A)D&D rules (a certain regenerating monster, anyone?).

7. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    After more trying I've given up on this running for more than 6 mins straight on my ipad2. It's a crashfest

If it was a 69p game, I'd shrug my shoulders and delete it, but it cost quite a bit more and I'm finding myself wanting either a working game or a refund.

Are refunds possible and if so, how do I apply?

8. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    The early battles in the pits are no harder than some of the early ones in the adventure. Plus, you get an insane amount of experience from them. If you finish just the first 3 battles, you can easily be level 3 when you're done. As another poster remarked, I really recommend you start the adventure from scratch, but if you're getting frustrated or feel underpowered, cut your teeth on the black pits. It's also useful, by the way, if you took skill points in a weapon that won't be available until Chapter 5 (like Katana, for instance) because you can buy it immediately and import your character with it.

9. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #429 Sheinfell, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    That is somewhat odd, as I have an iPad2 and only encountered one or two crashes in over 50 hours (main game and Black Pits). And I suspect the crashes were caused by switching between several apps (start/close) while I kept BG running. It runs fine on both iOS 5.x and 6.x.

Let's see, some troubleshooting questions:
    - Do you have any applications running in the background?
    - Did you restart your iPad before playing? If not, when was your last restart? I ask this because as every other OS, iOS garbage collection isn't perfect, so your memory will fill up over time. and the paddies don't exactly have much...
    - Do you have many apps on it? I remember reading that having 100+ adds quite the strain on the memory; which makes sense, as the pad needs to hold all the icons in memory.
    - Lastly, did you jailbreak it? Mine isn't, so maybe that is the problem, or part of it.

If you want a refund, you need to contact Apple.
    I'd recommend (unless you are too frustrated already) to contact TA user TrentO first. He is one of the developers, and has been helpful and responsive.

10. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for helping,
    All other apps and tasks were killed, I have done several hard resets, I have quite a few apps installed yes, maybe 60-80 all are in named folders, I'm not sure if that helps or makes it worse. And no, the machine is not jailbroken.

11. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Weird, I have over 100, all my apps are in folders, and anything I don't play is not on the first screen. But I'd say you should be ok.
    Do you have anything else that crashes, aside from BG?
    What you can do, if you want to play it, is install "system console" from the appstore. It generates much better crashlogs than the builtin ones. Wait for the crash, and send the log to TrentO via PM, and also to BG's support email address (sorry, I don't know it right away). If there is an iOS crashlog ( under iOS settings -> general -> about -> diagnostics&usage -> diagnostics&usage data ) , include that one as well.

Some more things:
    Are the crashes random, or can you force it by doing a specific action?
    And do you get the same when playing from a different saveslot or from a new game? I had a corrupted save once; went back to one earlier save, and things were fine.
    When you play the Black Pits, do they run good, or crash as well?
    When you just leave the game standing there, does it crash?

That's all I can come up with for now, hope it helps in finding the problem.

If you need any more help, or have questions, post here or send me a PM.

Good luck, Mene!

12. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Still no TA review ???

13. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    They're waiting for the patch to come out so they can give it 5 stars ;)

14. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
  15. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Yes!
    And no ;)

16. ProgPariah77

ProgPariah77 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Patch or no, it's epic (not to mention addictive). But yeah ... patch, please ...

17. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks again,

The crashes seem to be totally random, an action that crashes will then usually work fine next time. I cannot seem to do one action that constantly causes a crash. Just it seems after 5-6 mins it crashes no matter what I'm doing.

Tried a different save slot and its the same, black pits crash also.
    As for leaving it running, good idea. I'll try that right now, load the game and leave it. Thanks

18. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #438 Sheinfell, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    Always welcome :)
    If everything works fine when you just leave your iPad running without any apps on, or with low load only (e.g. reading email), my first guess is an overheating problem, from what you describe. Do you have another game that needs lots of processing power, e.g. Infinity Blade 2? Would be interesting to know what happens there.

Do you see any crashlogs for BG in the iOS diagnostics? What does systemconsole say?

Oh, and do you have spells like Web, Stinking Cloud or Cloudkill ? Those produce so much load the game slows down to a crawl. Can you get BG to crash faster by casting one of those?

Did you try reinstalling BG already? Don't think that will help, but you never know. Give that a shot if other load-heavy games work fine for you.

19. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Just tried leaving it running after loading my saved game and leaving it running starting a new game. My saved game crashed after 5mins 40-45 secs, and the new game crashed after 6 mins 10-15 secs. Was timing them but I might be a few secs out.

I don't have IB1 or 2, so can't test them but I do have lots of games installed that never crash. Ie the bards tale, real racing 2 HD, dungeon village, the room, etc etc.

I've not seen the crash logs, I'm not really up on that sort of thing, but I'll have a look. Btw I've not used any of those spells you mentioned. Iirc

20. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Lol! Which one?