Universal Defender Chronicles II: Heroes of Athelia (By Gimka Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

1. pinpoint007

pinpoint007 Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sounding kinda harsh there. I'm sure they know their economic situation better than us and I will assume they make decisions they think are for the best.

Also, you do realize there are various reasons to release a sequel rather than an expansion for IAP...?

2. rozetta

rozetta Active Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Anti Virus research
    Helsinki
    I played the original game a lot back in the day (think: getting both heroes above level 200). So far, this seems very very similar to the original game, all the way down to the mechanics of each hero. Some of the original gripes are still in the game, such as the fact that the tips show and the screen zooms when starting every level. You have to click through a bunch of slow dialogs when starting and ending levels. There's no restart level option. Resell value on items is ridiculously low. The UI is clunky. Also, I can't understand why the game quits when I close my iPad screen (I haven't seen an app do that in years).

So far, the new stuff seems to be some new enemies, maps and the medals you can unlock, plus there's a new UI for certain portions, the backdrops are a little different and there are some new cartoons. Oh, and I can play it on the iPad without 2x mode.

I've only been playing with Melwen so far, so I can post more impressions once I've played some more. I'm guessing the general will be the same as in the original also.

This is a nice blast from the past, and it definitely reminds me of the original. Almost too much, in fact. From the hype that the front page of this site gave this game, I was expecting something much more up-to-date feeling and new. I agree with the previous posters that this is the expansion that was talked about 2 years ago, but was never delivered.

3. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

HLW, I think it’s a matter of preference. We will add the option to have the menu outside the game either stretched or with a border. If there is enough time, this will be added in update #1 (June 4th), otherwise it should be in update #2.

J.Leson, polycontrale, araczynski, here is a screenshot of ipad retina in-game. If you don’t like it then there is nothing that we can do.
    http://www.defenderchronicles.com/dc2/ipadretina.png

Rivozz, you’ll get that option in Great Library after map #8.

cycler15, Gabrien, sorry to hear that but I guess we can’t please everyone.

Zinger314, eev, the game has fast app switching. But it uses lot of graphics so sometime switching doesn’t work.

Gunxsword, try to build some infantry at lower platform to break the larger slimes and archers/lizardmen at middle platform to kill the bats and the small slimes.

ArtNJ, halflings are cowardice. They only attack rank 1 (R1) enemies. Werewolves are R2.

Thanks to everyone else for the support!

4. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Lizardmen has higher Attack than Archers but have shorter Radius. And yes, they get fire at level 3. And they can also research better improved Attack and Radius for all bowmen (by unlocking a secret in Great Library).

Overall, Lizardmen are better value than Archers unless you need longer Radius or you want to upgrade the Archers to higher rank (Marksmen or Rangers).

All embassy units are always better (in term of value vs cost) than the regular units of the same rank. But you can only choose 1 type of embassy per game.

Is the crash repeatable? If not then it’s most likely because of low memory and restarting should help.

5. ReadingJim

ReadingJim Member

May 5, 2012
    I wonder, then, if it would be possible to have a "settings" option to hide IAP's? That would be wonderful - then I could entirely forget about them and not get tempted!

6. jps1012

jps1012 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    +1 for ipad 3 update.

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    if somebody wants to know how much cost other heroes, the archer hero is more than 3k so it's really expensive.

8. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Yeah, I wish the bouncing red arrow would go away after I've looked in the imperial store once.

I'm having fun with this but I admit I'm a little disappointed with the animation -- seems a bit dated. Overall everything seems a bit flat.

9. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Ravenblack, the bouncing red arrow indicates the daily mini-game is available. You can go to the shop and click the Get Free Imperial Tokens button and just close the pop-up.

ReadingJim, that’s a valid suggestion. I’ll discuss that with the rest of the team.

Eev, the archer hero is 3120 and the priest hero is 7840. They are meant to be unlocked after you’re done with Heroic for the first 2 heroes.

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Gimka, will there be a Lite version for those on the fence? Also, thanks for being so active here!

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    It has been a blast so far. I played the first one to death and was looking for a new challenge - this gives it to me. I can start from scratch and build my characters all anew. Thanks!

One gripe that I have is the auto dim feature isn't turned off. So I place all my towers and what not and just watch the enemies getting annihilated but then the device turns to dim and I have to keep tapping it to keep it going. Is it possible to make that a permanent feature? I know there are games that allow the game to override the phone's settings.

So happy it is universal but will wait for the iCloud features to be implemented before I start playing on the iPad - having too much fun on the phone anyway!

Great job guys, really love the sequel.

12. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Are u kiddin me??? To unlock a 3rd hero I have to pay 3120 token!!!! How is that even possible especially when I win 20 token per battle...that's not to say every little aspect of the game requires tokens, and the token earned per battle clearly says,, whatever u will do, u will have to buy IAP to enjoy the game...other wise, no hope with this 20 tokens

13. Plast2

Plast2 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In DC2 you not only earn tokens pr. battle (which increase as the difficulty rises), but you also earn loot to sell in the shops (which also becomes more and more expensive as you are capable of getting better loot). Some items, when equipped will also earn you more tokens pr. battle... When you gone through Novice - Heroic with Melwen and General, you'll be more than ready ;)

14. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

ale wis 7, everyone is working on the first update now so we haven't given much thought about the lite version yet. But we'll consider it after the first update (June 4th).

New England Gamer, we'll look if it's possible to add an option to override the auto dim. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! :)

Rivozz, you can get more than 100 tokens in Freestyle Heroic with General (max up Morale). If you do Legend, you can get up to 250 tokens per game. You get much more in higher difficulty. And like Plast2 said, the spoil of wars will also worth quite a bit in higher difficulties.

15. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Don't think the dev caught this...

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    oh rly, so same explanation like for difficulty stuff with first game? well it's funny. but if you dont want to play with general and boost morale it's quite hard to do, especially at first you need to upgrade it. ok played with melvin all maps, some of them on heroic mode. and i am not even close to buy some of the stuff in library. and i am not talking about new heroes. heroic first maps gives you +30 tokens with melvin. so you need 100 plays to get archer hero. and that's without buying other stuff. it was ok with first game, because new difficulty was not really new content, but in this game it's a joke.

it does not work at all, so i would say there is no such feature.

17. Anilones

Anilones Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    After hearing so much about the original I was excited about the sequel but I am extremely underwhelmed as shown by the fact that I'm posting about it, along with the universal praise in this thread I feel I should comment. The animations are horrendous, especially with the arrows from the archers (there appear to only be two or three drawings which cover the trajectory).

More than anything though is the interface, which I am amazed was never picked up by the testers who have been spending hours and hours on it (as shown in other threads). As a new player I have no idea what the statistics relate to, or what the point of the Inventory is (when you have Equipped and Storage), or how levelling up affects the towers when in-game (and not by looking into a separate menu), or why there is no restart button, or...

Until there are extensive reworkings on the interface I don't feel that I can enjoy the game.

18. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I have barely played it yet, but as someone who loved the original, I have to say I agree so far on the animations. My memory could be distorted by how much I loved the original, but I remember the animations being better in DC1. All the characters just don't seem to look as good as I remember. But again, I've only just touched the surface and still think the fun factor is definitely still there.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Like Gimka wrote before, you can earn up to 250 tokens per game on Legendary difficulty in Battlegrounds mode, plus profits from sold loot (which amounts to 13 or less plays for the archer). Seems like a good rate to me.

Had it not required the player skills and character skills to beat legendary, I'd say it would even have been too lenient. 13 and 32 plays to purchase the two most significant additions in the game is not much in this brand new world of grinding, and even in older times I would have found it a properly paced challenge.

What those of you who disapprove of the costs might overlook is that many, MANY players WANT and SEEK the challenge and the grind, and the challenge of the grind and the grind of the challenge. To them (us, really) it is a feature of longevity, and an asset, and promises that a game we enjoy will give us additional reason, beyond the actual fun of play, to come back time and time again.

It's curious how people think they can base absolute negatory statements off test runs on one or a few devices.

Fast app switching works swimmingly, without a fault, on my iPhone 4. And the game has a small enough memory footprint that it allows many other apps to be fast app-switched without memory issues and the resulting automatic app closing. So evidently (since unlike when disproving the existence of a mechanic, only one device is needed to prove its existence), there is such a feature.

But I absolutely agree that it does not seem to work well for some or many, in particular on older devices, and therefore needs work :)

While I agree that the interface and UI needs work (a lot of work, even), on this particular issue the interface is actually rather well-done and convenient: touching and holding on any stat or skill shows a pop-up with the particular details for that element.

The pop-up can be curiously hard to trigger sometimes, though, possibly indicative or a bug or too small touch area.

20. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    On two newer devices (despite my hesitation in trying on the iPad I wanted to see if this would work) I have not been able to get fast app switching once. It starts from the start (logos intros etc) each and every time.

I don't see it as a problem yet because this is the kind of game that I would be sitting down to play for more than a few moments at a time. It is those play a few minutes here and there kinds of games that don't have fast app switching enabled that annoy me - by the time I get the game loaded my time allotted to play is done.

It would be great though to implement this feature more efficiently and consistently since I am always eager to start playing.

I agree though that one person's experience isn't declarative - especially in this case where there may be so many different factors at work - with so many different results across ALL devices. Saying it is fast app switching does not make it so unfortunately. So far for me it isn't so. For you it has been though and that gives me hope that it will be for me in an update.