★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Arch Fiery

09-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Arch Fiery

OK, so if you've been following along, you might have remembered that I was working on "A Fiery Pinball" game... but that project was put on-hold indefinitely. I felt that the other pinball games out there were better.

Yet, I had this cool looking fireball and I liked playing with fire.

What could I do to build a game around this? So, I decided to try a platformer. At first, I wasn't feeling enthused. After the disappointment with BOT, it sure was tempting to just give up on game development. How can I be competitive in this market... especially when so many developers give away their games for free?

Those feelings of doubt started to disappear today. I added wall jumping to my fireball, and I found it to be quite entertaining!

That screenshot is of my game in debug mode. I'm using sensors to detect for the location of the walls. With sensors on the sides, I can do wall jumps. Technically, it's a trivial accomplishment. But design wise, it brought a huge smile to my face. Arch Fiery went from a tech demo to a game. I could start picturing level designs.

I also posted about the Wall Jumps here...
http://photics.com/arch-fiery-wall-jumps

Previously, I wasn't sure how to kill a fireball. I wasn't about to put fire extinguishers on all of my enemies.

So, how to make the game challenging, without being frustrating? That question was being solved today. The result is something that I think is great for iOS. With Left/Right/Jump movement, the game is easy to control. The accelerometer can also be used. I'm also planning to port this game to Mac, so it can be played with just three arrow keys.

I think this project is off to a good start. I have a lot of work to do, but I'm planning to keep it simple — and under 20 MB! Perhaps this game will launch by the end of the month!

I've added email notification to this thread, so I can be alerted to new questions or comments about Arch Fiery.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.

Last edited by Photics; 09-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.
09-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Here's another developmental screenshot from Arch Fiery...

Attachment 37320
I like this screenshot. It almost looks like a happy face.

Those are the coins... no wait... this is not Super Mario Bros.
Those are the rings... no wait... this is not Sonic The Hedgehog.
Collecting those glowy things... no wait... this is not Hard Lines.

Collecting the fiery orbs (they pulsate with a flame effect) will increase the size of the fireball. That's how combat works. If you hit an enemy, it should die. Yet, the impact will cause the fireball to lose power and shrink in size.

So, that system should give the platformer a traditional feel, while still being new and unique. Heh, I'll have to test it out with enemies though.

Also, today I updated my forum avatar. It's with the new icon for Arch Fiery.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.

Last edited by Photics; 09-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.

09-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Looks cool

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
09-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
Looks cool
Agreed.

Good that you clarified that point about wall jumping, cause I assumed from the pic it was merely ricocheting.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
09-14-2011, 07:07 AM
I was in a rush to school and just saw the screenshots, but wait, wall jumping?! Wow, I bet it's a lot of fun Just got me more excited

Oh and I assume you new Toucharcade icon is the icon of the game too?

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
09-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Looks cool
I'm glad that you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
Good that you clarified that point about wall jumping, cause I assumed from the pic it was merely ricocheting.
The fireball does have some bounce. The difference between a wall jump and a regular wall bounce is that the fireball can gain height instead of dropping downwards.

Quote:
Oh and I assume you new Toucharcade icon is the icon of the game too?
Yes, I changed my Touch Arcade forum avatar to the new icon for Arch Fiery.

09-14-2011, 03:40 PM
I encourage you to add a cute bird-type creature at the head of your flame trail. It should be smirking / grimacing. Then you can call your game 'Angry Firebird' or something similar. Then add cool water physics and fish enemies and senseless IAPs and watch the dollars roll in.

On a somewhat serious note, maybe you can make the fire trail a Phoenix with a fiery tail? Maybe its wings got clipped?

Now playing: Squids, Shantae, Mage Gauntlet, Roboto, Emberwind, Cordy, Whale Trail, Aquaria, Super Crossfire, Extraction, Crazy Hedgy, Terra Noctis, Pocket RPG, Glowfish, Steambirds, Edge Ex, SANDWICHES!!, Goat Up, Bean's Quest, Last Rocket, Blobster, Run Jump Kill, Don't Run WAPS, Jap Werewolf, Space Tripper, Sonic CD, Sleepy Jack.
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caanerud View Post
maybe you can make the fire trail a Phoenix with a fiery tail?
While the idea of adding a phoenix to the game sounds cool, I think iOS has enough bird games.

09-14-2011, 08:26 PM
One thing I want to mention. This game does look (and sounds) awesome, BUT don't rush the development of this game. Take as long as you want creating this game. I (and others most likely) would want a great game that took a year to make than a good game that took a month to make.

List of Games I've Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @Jdragoon19
09-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photics View Post
While the idea of adding a phoenix to the game sounds cool, I think iOS has enough bird games.
Finally a dev who understands that