Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Default FREE: A Few Billion Square Tiles, a Massively Multiplayer Online Minesweeper

Last edited by lif; 07-09-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Hi!

I'm the developer of A Few Billion Square Tiles. It started as a fun little side project, but feedback has been so good that it's become my main focus in the last couple months.

The game was soft-launched in France a month ago and in Europe a week after. It's now available worldwide, and I can't wait to see how its virtual world will evolve now that everybody can play it!

A few fun stats:
12.5 million tiles have been found as of today
Almost 500 000 are now discovered everyday
Most players in the top 30 have played more than 50 hours already
Quite a few players have even played more than 150 hours

The world inside the game is infinite, and it's really fun to watch it grow. Here's a small gif animation I made from the last 2 weeks, which shows the center of the world:

To give you a sense of scale: each pixel in this animation actually represents a square of 32*32 tiles in the game, in other words there's really 1024 tiles per pixel! It's quite fun to see the different strategies, like the ones building their islands and being slowly swallowed, or the one at the top going straight up to escape the crowd (this might actually be a good strategy: he's currently number one in the leaderboards!)

Anyway, let me know if you have any question, and I hope you will have as much fun playing as I had developing it
Old 07-09-2014, 02:52 PM

This is quite nice. It's a bit like Curiosity, but with actual gameplay and (so far) no trouble connecting.

I've added a Touch Arcade clan (two words) if anyone else feels like playing.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bez View Post
This is quite nice. It's a bit like Curiosity, but with actual gameplay and (so far) no trouble connecting.

I've added a Touch Arcade clan (two words) if anyone else feels like playing.
Cool idea! I joined the clan, which moved it into the top 10 since I have so many tiles. We probably won't stay there very long without help from others though -> we need more volunteers
Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Thought it seemed quite high in the rankings for a clan with 3 members!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bez View Post
Thought it seemed quite high in the rankings for a clan with 3 members!
Haha yes, I have a bit more than 150 000 tiles, thanks to many hours of testing!

There's a bit of everything in the top clans: the first one has 70 players inside, probably because it attracts lots of new players with little empires, but the 5th one only has 3 *very* active players!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 PM
iPad mini

This looks pretty cool. I'll definitely download it and join the clan later tonight.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 PM

What exactly is the point of wipers other than for griefing?

It's quite annoying when someone starts wiping an area you're working on, but even more annoying that they reset what's underneath.

I just had a run ended because someone wiped the mine I was marking as I marked it, and it was converted to a blank tile so I got an error.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Are you sure the guy used a wiper and didn't just make a mistake?

Wipers are usually used by people with a bit of OCD (like me ) when they want to connect two of their territories or when they want to neatly arrange its shape. I've also used them to draw stuff, as it's a pretty nice way to draw big pixel art!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lif View Post
Are you sure the guy used a wiper and didn't just make a mistake?

Wipers are usually used by people with a bit of OCD (like me ) when they want to connect two of their territories or when they want to neatly arrange its shape. I've also used them to draw stuff, as it's a pretty nice way to draw big pixel art!
Yeah, coulda been a mistake. I definitely had one guy wiping his way through an area I was clearing earlier, but that was probably someone else.

I was thinking that art could be difficult as you never know where mines/empty spaces will appear, so that makes aense.