★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

'Angel Wing' by Quantum Sheep - space pewpewpew action :)

05-06-2015, 01:35 PM
'Angel Wing' by Quantum Sheep - space pewpewpew action :)

(just to be clear, 'Name to Follow' isn't the name of the game. Though I kinda like it!)

Hello Denizens of the Touch Arcade Forums (or DOTTAF as I affectionately call you in my head)!

Hope you're all well!

Sorry I've not been around much - I've been very busy learning new stuff and polishing the old, but I'm finally happy to say I've got a new game in the works and it's coming along quite nicely!

It's an 'on rails' sci-fi shooter!

*ears prick up* Who said 'yuk!'? *peering into the crowd*

Was it you?

Hmmm... well, don't fret! I've got lots in my head for this game which will hopefully make you think more 'oooh, this is fun!' rather than 'oh, it's an on-rails shooter'

Think of it as a cross between the original Star Wars arcade machine (the sit-down one) and Namco's Starblade (I love both those games btw - the first is possibly still my fave arcade machine ever!)

The game has what I think is a really lovely lovely look to it - but I'm saving that for when I'm ready to share!

In the meantime, I've released a few screenshots that give nothing away on Twitter! :P

Like this, for example:

That's basically the 'HUD' - you move the target around and pew pew pew

Here's a turret test:

This is important because I want people to feel like they're in the middle of a big battle, in a universe that's alive. Having capital ships firing on enemies etc, even in the background, will hopefully help with that! Little details matter!

Here's a test for asteroids in the rings of a planet:

There's actually *counts* about 100,000 of those in there.

*faints*

And here's an early 6 second Vine vid of testing out the weapons:

https://vine.co/v/eWZ10nueV0t

Today I had a bit of a breakthrough - the simple simple task of changing colours

This was a 'must have' feature, as anyone that's tried my previous games will know, and gave me the confidence that yeah, I can maybe do this!

I also want the mission structure to be something similar to this:

Which the, er, elder gentlemen and ladies will recognise as the course map from my fave racing game, Outrun

"So what kind of state is the game in?" I hear a little voice at the back ask!

Well, little voiced person, I am desperately trying to get a 1 level 'proof of concept' build done before the end of the month.

If I can manage that, then I think everything will be a-ok!

Having said that, there's no eta on this. I'm learning Unity at the moment and it's all in 3D and I get confuzzled easily, so there's that as an added time sink, and I really have no idea what I'm doing \o/

But hey, it's fun, and I hope you'll enjoy reading about how I'm getting on with it all!

Thanks for looking! I'll update when I can with new screenshots and progress reports and stuff like that!

QS =D

Last edited by quantumsheep; 05-20-2015 at 02:06 PM.
05-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Fantastic news QS!!!!

My screen name is misunderstood. I am not some arrogant person who thinks he's so cool. Cool, because I like cold weather and Pepper because I'm hot.

Game Center: BakedCracker

05-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Great news, but I am especially intrigued by the space station on your desktop...

I still have my SegaCD copy of Starblade (and Star Wars Arcade for the 32x, though it is not the original arcade game...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 05-06-2015 at 03:56 PM.
05-06-2015, 03:16 PM
"Think of it as a cross between the original Star Wars arcade machine (the sit-down one) and Namco's Starblade (I love both those games btw - the first is possibly still my fave arcade machine ever!)"

I had to google for both, and i immediately wanted to play Starblade with that cool and intense atmosphere, indeed. I hope you do well and find your new curve with Unity fast enough. Looking very forward.

Edit: Vine doesn't work for me.
05-06-2015, 03:30 PM
This is AMAZING news!!!!!!! It looks so awesome already QS! The asteroids around the planet are beautiful! I am so excited right now, glad to have you back, and look forward to any new news as it becomes available! *sheepyhugs all around*
05-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Would be interested if there was one more "pew" in it. 2 just a isn't enough
05-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCho133 View Post
Would be interested if there was one more "pew" in it. 2 just a isn't enough
Fixed that for you (or at least I tried to - it doesn't seem to accept an extra pew - how odd!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkellydown View Post
This is AMAZING news!!!!!!! It looks so awesome already QS! The asteroids around the planet are beautiful! I am so excited right now, glad to have you back, and look forward to any new news as it becomes available! *sheepyhugs all around*

You're very kind, thanks *sheepyhugs*

I'm excited to unveil the look - I've shown just one person and they were like 'woah'.

They're old like me though, so your mileage may vary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertz555 View Post
"Think of it as a cross between the original Star Wars arcade machine (the sit-down one) and Namco's Starblade (I love both those games btw - the first is possibly still my fave arcade machine ever!)"

I had to google for both, and i immediately wanted to play Starblade with that cool and intense atmosphere, indeed. I hope you do well and find your new curve with Unity fast enough. Looking very forward.

Edit: Vine doesn't work for me.
You can actually play Starblade *right now* on your iOS device via Namco's free Namco Arcade app - you get 1 free go on any game every day, or you can buy them outright.

The Starblade port is wonderful apart from a couple of issues I have with it:
1. It's not 'full screen'
2. The controls... well, they're not really suited to the game

Give it a free go if you like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Great news, but I am especially intrigued by the space station on your desktop...

I still have my SegaCD copy of Starblade (and Star Wars Arcade for the 32x, though it is not the original arcade game...)
:O

That was made by a new artist friend of mine called Craig Stevenson - he usually does ZX Spectrum stuff and we've been chatting about a possible future collaboration.

He's like a clone of me, but very good at arty stuff.

I believe the actual station is from this article which he illustrated
http://readonlymemory.vg/the-unsolved-mysteries-elite/

Also: I have Star Wars on the 32X too, and a copy of Starblade for the 3DO I think! Happy days! The original Star Wars machine is still the best though

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
Fantastic news QS!!!!

Thank you sir! *curtsies*
I'm excited! And I'm very happy to see you all here, because it's what I've been missing these past few months! The motivation to keep going starts in this place

Thanks all for the kind words, and speak soon!

QS =D
05-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
He's an amazing artist!!!

My screen name is misunderstood. I am not some arrogant person who thinks he's so cool. Cool, because I like cold weather and Pepper because I'm hot.

Game Center: BakedCracker

Last edited by coolpepper43; 05-06-2015 at 08:43 PM.
05-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumsheep View Post
Fixed that for you (or at least I tried to - it doesn't seem to accept an extra pew - how odd!)
Well, it's the thought that counts

But woah a new QS game!!! Holy sheep this looks amazing!

The capital ships look so cool! Can NOT wait to see more of this because this looks bloody fantastic! You jus keep one-upping yourself QS, you're like a green mushroom!

Last edited by JCho133; 05-06-2015 at 05:55 PM.
05-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Man oh man - my favourite game of all time (including the future) will always be Defender but it's so damn closely followed by the sit-down Star Wars Coin-Op. I was 12 when our local Arcade got it and blowing up that Death Star for the first time was phenomenal. Properly excited about this. Take your time too, QS, I always enjoy the anticipation and build up. Absolutely magic stuff.

Last edited by slamraman; 05-07-2015 at 12:53 AM.