Exiles of Embermark - a PVP RPG tailored for one-handed play (by Gunslinger Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016.

?

In mobile RPGs, do you get more excited about PvP or PvE? (and why)

1. PvP is more exciting

41 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. PvE is more exciting

93 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. They are equally as exciting

45 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #1 thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Hi-- I'm a developer on Exiles of Embermark. It's a mobile combat RPG that we've been working on, and it's really coming together. TA just wrote a bit about it, so I thought I'd start up some discussion. We're nearing production on it, and I can't wait to get feedback. We'll be sharing everything we do all along the way.

Here's the rundown:

In a castoff continent, emerging Houses vie for influence over land & resources through a combination of cunning & the might of their Marked. These skilled heroes engage in duels with each other to tip the balance of power & further their House agenda. Players become these heroes & develop mind, body and magic to bring glory (and phat lewt) to their Houses.

[​IMG]

Train, develop & equip your character to become the best in PVP and PVE combat reminiscent of Pokemon but with an MMO's flavor & variety. Get into and out of a Battle in under 60 seconds and make meaningful progress every time you fight:

[​IMG]

Find, loot and craft items of enormous power to spec out your character in a gazillion different ways:

[​IMG]

Build up a camp & recruit followers that quest for loot, improve your character & acquire useful information even when you're not playing:

[​IMG]

Choose a House, gain its unique advantage & and compete with other Houses for influence & rewards:

[​IMG]

Engage in a player-influenced storyline that follows the entire community, charts victories, defeats & political intrigue:

[​IMG]

Register here if you're interested in testing and input on the game's development. And get the latest art, screens, stories and game development updates on the EoE blog.

Looking forward to hearing what you think. We'll be incorporating player feedback, stories and suggestions all throughout production, so please jump in either here or there.

Haegin, Cooper04, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  2. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #2 thewzrd, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    This game has a lot of everything I'm interested in and the art style is amazing. I registered at your site and hope to hear more about this game as it progresses :)

4. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great to hear! And definitely-- if you registered, you'll get access to the development discussion, imagery and an invitation to Beta.

5. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #5 thewzrd, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    We're playing with art direction on the characters-- initially, we're planning 3 Classes, with 3 as an early expansion, but we're also trying to give players character models that can function as Warrior, Mage, Rogue, etc. This first guy would probably make a too-beefy mage, but there are differing opinions over here...

[​IMG]

6. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    On the enemy side, we'll have some classic fantasy archetypes, but we're also injecting some unique species into the NPC cast of characters, including these "Chaotics," who take on the aspects of their surroundings as they mature (and get more dangerous). Here's some early sketches of their development:

[​IMG]

7. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #7 thewzrd, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Interested in which one (or more) of these concepts ^ you prefer if the idea of them is a bear-ish beast that-- over time-- takes on the aspects of its surroundings as it becomes more powerful?

8. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I'm drawn to 7 for some reason. I like the idea of taking on aspects of surroundings. Interesting looking game. I'll lurk

9. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Is the fighting like rock, paper, scissors or is it more timing based attacks?

Thanks

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd think of it like Pokemon-style combat coupled with gear. So there are definitely moves that are better against other moves (a la rock-paper-scissors), but then you take what you've outfitted your character into account.

Basically, you'll load out 4-5 active abilities for use in Battle. And you'll load out your whole character with helmets, chest pieces, boots, main hand, off-hand, etc. The strategic combination of gear and what active abilities you play against your opponent (or a monster or NPC) will determine your success in a bout.

You and your opponent are both choosing your action at the same time and when you both click in, Initiative determines which move goes first. It's turn-based, but it's never not your turn.

11. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I like 5 and 7 the best. I like 5 for the more animal look, but the 7 looks more human. I am signed up on your website to get updates.

12. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I just registered so hopefully a testflight invitation soon. :)

13. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great, then we've got you on the list. We're a few weeks away from having a fully playable, but when we get to testing, you'll definitely get a message. I'm working on a Game Dev update today. We'll be showing and asking opinions on everything from art to design.

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    New Game Dev Update went up today with info on gameplay development, how we're approaching gear/items and some more glimpses of art concepting.

15. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I have some questions for ya Wizard.

How does PVP combat work in this game? Can I be attacked at any time? Can higher level players somehow find me and easily defeat me?

Any word on IAP? Will players be able to just buy items, or pay for an in-game currency that lets them have a chance at opening a chest and getting the best gear?

Thanks!

16. fliindnyce

fliindnyce Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm getting very anxious about this I registered last week and Ive been following the game Dev page.. To be quite frank this is going to be one of those play and get stuck for hours type game I really can't wait lol... Well there be Game Center, Facebook sign in, or will it have its own in game sign in and will it be online only or offline???

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're in the early days of production, so this isn't set in stone, but right now here's the basic system:

-You will choose Normal or Ranked PVP on your own, and the system will match you with a Character of similar power for Normal or similar Rank for Ranked. This is real synchronous play between you and another player and someone wins and someone loses. Ranks are seasonal (we will roll over seasons every month or two) and come with rewards.
    -The other form of PVP is that you can challenge a player character when that player is not online. Then you play the real character, but it's controlled by the system, not the player. But to your question about being attacked at any time, you will not lose anything if your character is in a Battle like this while you're away. In fact, you will probably get some XP or other rewards. It won't "count," as it were...
    -It's worth noting that there is also PvE, so there's all sorts of monsters and quests and lootz. Combat will be similar, but you're fighting the game, not someone else.

We're still figuring this system out, too, but the closest parallel to an IAP system is probably Hearthstone. You will be able to buy chests of loot, but it's the same stuff you can find in the game while playing, and you can use currency you've earned to buy those same chests. There are rarities and sets and even unique items (more on the Unique system later). And there's plenty of gear in the game that you can only get from playing, participating in Events or winning in PvP. You will also be able to purchase entry to certain events that have big rewards.

(There's also a really cool key system that we're working on, but it's in its infancy, so I don't have all the details just yet).

18. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Appreciate the reply and the straightforward answers! Love the outline for the PVP system, that's exactly what I was hoping. Thanks :)

19. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    I appreciate that, fliindyce-- glad you're following along, and I just put up a new Dev Update to check out (it's here).

To your question about sign-in, yes-- there will be Gamecenter to kick you off, but you will probably be able to then change your handle to something specific that you like. And you Character(s) will be a unique name. Not sure just yet whether we'll use FB.

On the online/offline front, you will definitely need to be online to play PvP, but stay tuned on how we'll handle PvE-- we're still figuring that system out.

20. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We do, too. Here's a study on this same type of creature whose surroundings ended up being northerly icy mountains and such:

[​IMG]

(player character is on the far left, for scale)

DTK likes this.