★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Making TALLNUM (TL№) a puzzle about perception and numbers.

07-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Making TALLNUM (TL№) a puzzle about perception and numbers.

Dear everyone, it has been a long time since my last released game, I have been hard at work on korikori (still in progress, still gonna get released when its done), and since end of December last year I have started designing what has now become TL№.

This is a project made in collaboration with Matthew Ostil who does development while I do design. We have been working on it for 8 months and I want to start telling you story and showing how the game evolved and share how it goes from now till released.

I will be posting one - few times a week.

Currently working on a number puzzle: TALLNUM (TL№) and a rogue-like adventure korikori.co follow me on Twitter: @takemuraori.
07-31-2016, 09:30 AM
First let me tell you that in December last year, what I had in mind what a romanticized metaphor of two numbers that live on a Fibonacci spiral, once a player makes a move the game would add another number to the screen but also would divide all numbers by half. The goal was to tap one of the two to make it still be round and preferably on sequence. I wanted to experiment around player's perception of how numbers would evolve. It looked like the picture below, and the fact that my description is unclear is no coincidence:

We actually did make a prototype, a couple of them - they were unplayable, it was a very bad idea. However as I was working on it other number related system design concepts came into mind, and what you see on the bottom became the foundation for Tallnum.

Currently working on a number puzzle: TALLNUM (TL№) and a rogue-like adventure korikori.co follow me on Twitter: @takemuraori.
07-31-2016, 09:40 AM

By GDC time TALLNUM looked like this and had all main game mechanics, what it didn't have were proper controls, tutorials, visual feedback and it did lack few fundamental logic aspects that are added only now. We did show it at GDC together with KoriKori as part of Singapore Games pavilion (a place that was deeply hidden in business area).

08-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Dear puzzle lovers, while I will continue the story of design process for TALLNUM, I want to say that we are soon will be doing a closed beta testing on IOS, please express your interest.

*Speaking of iOS we are making the game with an intention to lunch ios first or same time as Android, and right now IOS provides us with some beautiful bugs that look like this (what is wrong here is the transparency of the pink block and how it overlays the rest):

08-26-2016, 01:47 AM

While we are working on implementing the rewind mechanic, preparing more behind the scenes to be posted this weekend,
we are also happy to announce the beta testing - iOS and Android users are welcome. If you love puzzles you may fun this fun

Let me know if anyone wants to participate and we will be very happy to send you a build.

08-28-2016, 06:56 PM

I want to tell a bit on the game design theory and the inspirations for Tallnum, and those were rooted in the two system design concepts I wanted to experiment with:
First is about an abstraction that happens on a higher level than controls or game control meaning - the idea of a sandbox possibilities when operating with mediums like alphabet or numeric systems. It is like a world in between the middle illustration and the one on the bottom, middle one depicts a railed approach: within a feedback loop an interface tries to explain to the player / user what has to happen and then feedbacks if the action was aligned with that explanation. Sometimes such approach simply limits the number of possibilities. The illustration on the bottom shows full sandbox approach where the interface allows for execution of any ideas and it is the player who decides if outcome is what he or she wanted. Now to me interesting was to make Tallnum into a puzzle game yet have sandbox hidden in the mechanics and the possibilities of what you can do with the numbers.

Second conceptual inspiration was about the dimensions and layers of such possibilities and their place in the interface. The game is in 3d for a reason Wink