★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Alto's Odyssey Sizzling Hot Take Thread

02-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Alto's Odyssey Sizzling Hot Take Thread

Okay now just thinking about it, I have no problem paying 5$ for a game (I have payed for several!)

I have played Alto's Adventure and loved it. But I am not sure if this is worth another 5$. The graphics are stunning, but there are only a few mechanics included. Rest is just the same. Also, remember that this is an endless runner, they don't hold my interest for very long. What made me buy Adventure in the first place was the gorgeously executed artwork, and I loved it as it lasted.

I will still buy the game, but it should either be a DLC or it should cost less. Like $2.99 which was the initial price of Alto's Adventure. Not sure why they raised it up even when the game sold well. I feel like I will enjoy the game for the first day, then it won't hold my attention for too long.

I will give out my impressions once I buy and play the game.
02-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8rd3 View Post
I think the whole "it's similar" thing is kinda stupid. I mean it's basically a sequel so if you wanted something vastly different then adventure I'm not quite sure why you would get Odyssey in the first place...as has already been said by several people, the similarity melts away after playing longer then a few mins...
But I digress, no sense in finding logic where there isn't any, and people are always going to argue opinions.
I personally think the game is fantastic, and I just found out that you can get an item that allows you to choose which biome you ride in so, that makes me even more happy with Odyssey.

great work devs!
And there you go attacking opinions of people who think is similar :/

02-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslan266 View Post
And there you go attacking opinions of people who think is similar :/
More like questioning the logic of buying a game called "Altos Odyssey " and complaining about the similarity to "Altos Adventure" . As someone already pointed out parallels in gameplay is a general halmark in gaming sequels wether it be Mario or Call of duty or any other series.
02-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Okay now just thinking about it, I have no problem paying 5$ for a game (I have payed for several!)

I have played Alto's Adventure and loved it. But I am not sure if this is worth another 5$. The graphics are stunning, but there are only a few mechanics included. Rest is just the same. Also, remember that this is an endless runner, they don't hold my interest for very long. What made me buy Adventure in the first place was the gorgeously executed artwork, and I loved it as it lasted.

I will still buy the game, but it should either be a DLC or it should cost less. Like $2.99 which was the initial price of Alto's Adventure. Not sure why they raised it up even when the game sold well. I feel like I will enjoy the game for the first day, then it won't hold my attention for too long.

I don’t mind this being a sequel since the setting is different, and thankfully a bit more varied, than the first and the additional mechanics give the game a bit more replay value. For me Altos Adventure, and maybe it will be the same with Odyssey, was an on / off type game. I would play the game nonstop for awhile and then stop playing for a bit...but I would always get the urge to dive back in.

I think the reason I kept coming back to Altos was because it is an “experience” type game disguised as an endless runner. Sure there’re goals to meet but I’ve always felt it’s more about the sounds and scenery.

I do agree wholeheartedly on additional DLC for premium runners. If Adventure had additional scenery packs for $2.99, even if the scenery was thematically the same, I would’ve picked up each and every one of them. The good thing, without spoiling, is Odyssey feels like it would be easier to implement such a feature. Unfortunately the way many people react to DLC the devs may not want to anger the gamerz who feel any DLC is offensive.
02-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Quote:

"That game you spent three years of your life making should cost three dollars, not five!" - mobile gamer

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
02-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
"That game you spent three years of your life making should cost three dollars, not five!" - mobile gamer
That’s reasons for me going slightly off mobile gaming one my favorite series is getting bashed for no reason
02-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLL View Post
I don’t mind this being a sequel since the setting is different, and thankfully a bit more varied, than the first and the additional mechanics give the game a bit more replay value. For me Altos Adventure, and maybe it will be the same with Odyssey, was an on / off type game. I would play the game nonstop for awhile and then stop playing for a bit...but I would always get the urge to dive back in.

I think the reason I kept coming back to Altos was because it is an “experience” type game disguised as an endless runner. Sure there’re goals to meet but I’ve always felt it’s more about the sounds and scenery.

I do agree wholeheartedly on additional DLC for premium runners. If Adventure had additional scenery packs for $2.99, even if the scenery was thematically the same, I would’ve picked up each and every one of them. The good thing, without spoiling, is Odyssey feels like it would be easier to implement such a feature. Unfortunately the way many people react to DLC the devs may not want to anger the gamerz who feel any DLC is offensive.
Yeah, there were times when I got back to Alto's Adventure because of the pretty sceneries, I also liked the fact that it had those levels and tasks to complete, otherwise I would've quit a while ago.

Soundtrack is great too. It was a polished game for sure! EVen though I am not a fan of endless runners and with successors are very similar to the first game (Which, I guess in this case is varied), It is what made me be skeptical on buying Odyssey for $4.99 as there are other games on my wishlist. I will still buy the game though, the new additions and the idea of multiple biomes seems cool.
02-22-2018, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesrooney27 View Post
That’s reasons for me going slightly off mobile gaming one my favorite series is getting bashed for no reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
You are being sarcastic, right?

It is unfair that you are saying “That game you spend 3 years of your life making should cost 3$ not 5$” First of all, this game didn’t take 3 years to make. That is false information. I just said I don’t know if it is worth it or not.
Also, I have paid for several iOS games that cost 5 dollars. I even paid for games that cost 10$ (that being The Witness which I would pay 20$ for me, next is Thimbleweed Park) So just assuming won’t work on me.
Next time, instead of throwing cheap Ad Hominems, actually learn to respect my opinion.

To the Jamesrooney person, I am not even bashing the series, I said multiple times that I DID enjoy Alto’s Adventure, I just didn’t come back to it too much because in the next few days, endless runners can get a little off for me. I still come back to it from time to time so I can play in Zen Mode or complete the tasks and unlock new characters.
Also, the part where you said “No reason” is very stupid. I gave quite a few reasons on why I was skeptical about buying this one (I still will next week)

The constant moaning is just ridiculous. Let it go (no pun intended)
02-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Quote:

It is unfair that you are saying “That game you spend 3 years of your life making should cost 3$ not 5$” First of all, this game didn’t take 3 years to make. That is false information. I just said I don’t know if it is worth it or not.
Also, I have paid for several iOS games that cost 5 dollars. I even paid for games that cost 10$ (that being The Witness which I would pay 20$ for me, next is Thimbleweed Park) So just assuming won’t work on me.
Next time, instead of throwing cheap Ad Hominems, actually learn to respect my opinion.

To the Jamesrooney person, I am not even bashing the series, I said multiple times that I DID enjoy Alto’s Adventure, I just didn’t come back to it too much because in the next few days, endless runners can get a little off for me. I still come back to it from time to time so I can play in Zen Mode or complete the tasks and unlock new characters.
Also, the part where you said “No reason” is very stupid. I gave quite a few reasons on why I was skeptical about buying this one (I still will next week)
I was just pointing out how silly it is to bitch about a two dollar difference in a piece of art like this. Five dollars, three dollars, ten dollars… it's all ridiculously cheap for a game of this caliber. It's pretty insulting telling someone their work isn't even worth FIVE ��������ing dollars, don't you think?

Quote:
Feel free to take your own advice

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
02-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Quote:

Unfair this is what’s wrong with mobile gamers, and I’m not being sarcastic, what so this game just McDonald’s wow so expensive/ I guess you don’t buy many games because you think this rip off, I have Nintendo switch, try living with console prices, mobile games are amazing the quality you get from them unbelievable for the price of coffee

Last edited by Jamesrooney27; 02-22-2018 at 05:37 PM.