Universal Flawless (by Nauris Andzans)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NaurisAndzans, Mar 17, 2016.

1. NaurisAndzans

NaurisAndzans Active Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Game developer, designer
    Latvia, Riga
    Thanks mzinn. I hope you do find these 50 levels a joyfull journey. But i know some of them wont be as joyfull as one would think.

2. badbrute

badbrute Member

Jul 26, 2013
    #22 badbrute, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    i got a promocode for the game and i gotta say, ive always had a thing for these "bounce-a-ball-in-the-right-direction"-kind of games! ive had some issues with the gameplay in other games and the lack of content in some but this game still keeps me playing, it changes up the gameplay as you progress and adds new element and challenges. the difficulty is good, its not to simple and it took about 15-16 levels before the gameplay got very challenging!

if you like puzzle games and physics games i would suggest you give this game a go!

3. NaurisAndzans

Nov 21, 2014
    Game developer, designer
    Latvia, Riga
    Glad you liked it badbrute and thanks for the review. Have fun solving remaining levels :)

4. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I wouldn't mind a promo code if you are still offering.
    Thank you.

5. Kallizm

Kallizm Active Member

Dec 21, 2013
    e-Learning Designer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Oooooh! This is very similar to Trick Shot (iOS) except it actually has puzzles to conquer instead of just endless trial and error attempts to get a ball to bounce into a box. I mean I actually love Trick Shot, but Flawless appears to have really improved upon the formula.

[Also, I do not mean to imply the dev used Trick Shot as inspiration. Just that the formula is similar enough for comparison.]

6. NaurisAndzans

Nov 21, 2014
    Game developer, designer
    Latvia, Riga
    Thanks Kallizm, but you are right by implying that the inspiration came from Jonathans TrickShot cuz it got my initial prototype going in direction it has landed.

And just because its friday, here are some more promo codes:
    FEAKT3LM9TKH
    NL4TH7JP4Y4L
    MNAA4ERAT4YK
    94X3KHH96YFK
    9J6HXFREMNXP
    F6NK4ARXW9MM
    A7L4FWLNENER
    9RRR67XAWE9F
    33THYWF7TAPF
    JHELMTJPHPW7

Happy bouncing :)

7. Zineman

Zineman Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks! Took 33THYWF7TAPF. Will leave some impressions later.

8. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    JHELMTJPHPW7 taken too, thanks a lot for the promo code will be back with impressions later.

9. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Ugh, I wrote a 3 paragraph impression last night and fell asleep while I was typing it. Long story short, I deleted it accidentally and I can't really remember everything i said.

Pretty much, as other people have said, this game shares many things with the game Trick Shot, as well as ReBounce, and originally Dude Perfect. That being said, this game is really fun and well made, so if you like any of those games I listed, you will most definitely like this!

The main menu is beautifully minimalistic, I think I ended up staring at the fading color changing gradient on the word Flawless for about 2-3 min lol. It's very mesmerizing. But that's just an added bonus, the real fun is in the game itself.

Thank you so much dev for sending me a code, I will try to provide a more detailed impression when I have time to play more. So far the game looks and plays incredibly well. The best of luck to you on the launch and all of your future endeavors. It was very cool and generous of you to provide all these codes for us, and we all greatly appreciate it! :)

10. supaman900s

supaman900s Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Redeemed MNAA4ERAT4YK

Thanks, and I'll leave a review on the App Store

11. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #31 anthony78, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Enjoyed Trick Shot so a more puzzle like game inspired by it sounds right up my alley.

Redeemed 9J6HXFREMNXP.

Thanks! I'll post impressions after I've had a chance to play a bit.

------

Played for a while and really digging this. As others have said, it takes Trick Shot and improves it in all the right ways. The minimalist graphics and nice sound effects work well and the difficulty curve seems just right.

At first, I was thinking it needed a little tutorial but it's easy to pick up and play (but difficult to master).

Thanks again for the code!

12. NaurisAndzans

Nov 21, 2014
    Game developer, designer
    Latvia, Riga
    Thank you all and thanks skylined87 for intoducing me to Rebounce. I just downloaded it and it feels like Jonathans TrickShot just got expanded by 400 levels.

13. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    94X3KHH96YFK taken...

thanks a lot!

14. NaurisAndzans

Nov 21, 2014
    Game developer, designer
    Latvia, Riga
    I truly enjoy watching how you guys utilize freedom of control to find new ways to solve levels. Like this one I found checking Everyplay.

(Spoiler alert?) Level13 - https://everyplay.com/videos/27180182

15. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    All codes gone, so I bought the game :)
    A bit early in the game to give an impression (at L14) on the puzzles, but visually it lacks a bit of contrast on the white boxes (for my taste at least). The dotted trajectory line has flaws. It is only helpful at low speeds, at higher stretches the dots become too far apart to be useful. And the dots aren't visible at all sometimes. Ah now I see why, the dots are the same white as parts of the background. This is also the same problem with the contrast of the white boxes; when they are positioned against the whiter part of the background, they kind of disappear.
    All should be easily fixable, but as the game is now, it doesn't reach Trick Shot's finesse and playability

16. NaurisAndzans

Nov 21, 2014
    Game developer, designer
    Latvia, Riga
    Thanks for the input saosijs. I invested a lot of time tackling with contrast issues, because I wanted to make visual appearance as clean and at the same time puzzles as perceptible as possible. After testing various contrast variations on multiple devices I found this one to be the best to compliment both of the aspects I mentioned. Truth be told I have never held multiple hand held devices with the same display contrasts. As I remember back in the day it was a known issue with 4th generation iPhone displays, but thats just me being defensive :)
    I think going further in the levels you will find the finesse you seek and I hope at the end you'll get your moneys worth.

17. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I think the contrast issue is caused mainly by the fact that the background has a horizontal band where it is (much) whiter than the rest. and this whiter band is in the play field. Look at Trick Shot where the white(-ish) band is positioned much lower and not interfering with game elements. And of course Trick Shot ball trajectory is indicated in black so it never has the problem of disappearing as it does in Flawless.

Attached Files:

18. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I blazed through the 50 levels in well under an hour. the game copies its core physics concept from Trick Shot (a bouncing ball, a floor) and keeps close visually too. The core physics concept however is combined with the game play from Okay?, where you need to bounce off from each of the objects to make them all disappear. So I wouldn't say it extends Trick Shot, but combines "Trick Shot + Okay?" which makes for an interesting combination in principle. However, there are some comments to make about Flawless:
    - 50 levels is not much
    - No Game Center
    - There is no replay-ability as in Trick Shot (where you have secondary and tertiary objectives that unlock at some point)
    - Some levels are really easy, interrupting the difficulty progression
    - Level design is not so tight, many levels can be passed by just bouncing around a lot
    - [Level design] You can cheat your way through some levels (for example 38, 45)
    - The angle of bouncing-off from the first object feels strange. Maybe because the ball has rotation?
    - Contrast issue (see my previous post)

By the way, image from Okay? (note, it has no gravity, velocity or friction, the only thing that matters is position and angle of the ball you shoot):

Attached Files:

19. NaurisAndzans

Nov 21, 2014
    Game developer, designer
    Latvia, Riga
    #39 NaurisAndzans, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Thanks a lot for the in depth review and I like your way of thinking. In your list you have touched some of the things I have already layed some ground work and they will come via update sometime in future. Additional levels, new physics blocks, replayabity (in a form of hit count) and now, thanks to you - settings with adjustable contrast filter.
    And more so thanks for solving all levels and sharing your experience.

20. Kallizm

Kallizm Active Member

Dec 21, 2013
    e-Learning Designer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Dev interactions like this are one of the many reasons I love TA! It's just so nice to have a platform where you can share constructive feedback and chat directly with a game's creator(s). I only wish more developers were as transparent and open to discussion as Nauris (and others on TA) have been.