Good games getting low scores...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sambo110, Mar 9, 2010.

1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Ascent is one. I think it's an excellent retro game. It's fast paced, and it's very easy to just 'pick up and play.' It used to get low ratings, but now people are finally starting to realize what a hidden gem it is.

2. rogerchiu

rogerchiu Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    For me, I will only view the reviews if I want to buy the app. I will consider as many as the iTune provided.

From my experiance, some people will reviews to said the APP is so great but rated 1 star. Maybe the user rated 1 star by wrong click on the one star. I had that experiance once.

I don't mind about the rating. I read the app and the reviews only.

3. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Exactly, I feel absolutely no anger that tapulous dropped tap tap 3 to free after a few months. It was one of my most played games for those months.

4. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Tap Tap Revenge 3 sucks, so it deserves the 1-start votes.

5. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #25 tsharpfilm, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    But is it really that bad? Why not a 2, or a 3 star vote? I don't think a lot of the people in the app store are fair with their game ratings. If they don't like something, their mouse goes right to the 1 star without any consideration of the few things that were good about it.

6. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I thought Tapulous just tried too much with TTR3. They tried adding too many features in the game, and this just basically wrecked it.

7. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    What I think would be helpful is giving the paid player a paid DLC pack for free. Then, people who had paid, wouldn't be so mad, and the same thing still happens. And oh, BTW, the argument that they can't stand losing 1$ if they can buy an iphone is valid. Something about kids, maybe, and their allowances.

8. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Like the fact that it's free...

9. iphonegamerblog

iphonegamerblog Active Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Marketing
    Indianapolis
    App Store ratings are rife with people I wouldn't want to chat with for a single second face to face. Why would I believe their reviews? No offense to any of you guys leaving ratings. Obviously some comments are better than others but unfortunately there is more bad than good.

10. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Sadly many of the reviews/ratings are done by overly hyper 12 year olds :(

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    This is true and their vindictive 12 year old selves.

Sales happen all the time in real life. Clothes, food, etc. If there is something we want now we get it now knowing full well in the future it will be on sale. If we can afford to wait, we wait.

The app store has a very unique dynamic associated with it - the ability to go free. And also the ability to rate an app very easily when you delete an app. I have said this before and it applies here as well - when you get something for free you have no connection to it, therefore if you play it for a few minutes, or even seconds, and do not like it you have nothing to lose if you decide to delete it.

But then Apple brings up this pesky - would you like to rate this app - screen. Out of spite, those 12 year olds hit the 1 star just because they didn't like, want, understand, care, or even out of malice.

So making an app free hurts you in a couple ways - those that paid and do not understand the concept of sale get upset and run out and think that rating the game 1 star will refund their money somehow, and those that got it for free but don't have any integrity and rate a game 1 star for frivolous reasons.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'm not so annoyed at games that go on sale, even permanently - but what I really don't like is the current trend to release an app, and 3-4 months later the original app goes free and a "premium" app is released... :mad:

13. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    never trust appstore reviews tbh. a lot of people couldnt even review a glass of water.

hence why sites like TA are invaluble for a more balanced view :)

14. Radso

Radso Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I agree with everything thats been said here about unfair ratings due to prices dropping. But lately i noticed that one of my favorite games "Depict" went up in price from FREE to $0.99. Now ofcourse a dollar is nothing, and i have blown far more on crappy games, but just that the developers got greedy and decided to charge money for the game kinda pissed me off.

I left a bad review (originally a 5 star review) and about 3 days later it went back to free :). so in a way, these bad ratings DO help get what you want...

15. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?
    I don't understand what you people are complaining about? This is how the economy works... When a product is new it is highly priced. Once newer and better things come out, the price drops. THIS IS JUST HOW IT WORKS! It happens with pretty much everything. Should I feel ripped off that the car I'm driving now costs $10,000 less than it did when I bought it? No, because I have been driving it this whole time.

Stop complaining because you got "ripped off". You chose to buy the app instead of waiting for the price to drop, or for it to become free. If this is really making you mad STOP BUYING APPS. Just wait for them all to become free and get them then. Don't complain because you want it when it first comes out and it's popular. Wait for the price to come down.

16. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Wha? They can charge whatever the hell they want, when they want. Same as McDonalds, Walmart or any other business - if you don't like it, don't buy it. The fact that you got it for free *then* got pissed off really pisses me off...

When you grow up and get a job maybe you'll understand there's a difference between being greedy and wanting to make enough money to buy canned food.

Highly doubtful. A game with bad reviews that makes next to squat isn't worth updating. Plain and simple. If you want to encourage developers leave FAIR reviews. E.g. Giving a game 1 star until it gets "feature X" is NOT going to get you feature X. Personally I can't respect the opinion of someone who likes a game enough to ask for a feature but somehow hates that same game enough to give it 1 star. That's just retarded.

17. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Having attained the dizzy height of 63 in Puzzle games, I very much doubt that the dev's reason for charging 99c was 'greed'. At 99c the earnings were possibly only minimum wage. It concerns me that you could really think that charging 99c was wrong. Interesting though...

18. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    if a game i bought goes free it makes me sad

19. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Thankfully, I have never experienced the feeling of buying a game, then it going free shortly after.
    I can imagine your frustration.
    But I really hate bad reviews. Especially ones that are like one word long like 'Boring', because you need to be helping the dev out by saying how it was boring.

Furthermore, iTunes Reviewers tend to rate any game they dislike 1 star. I believe hardly any game can be rated one star (unless they are really bad) but people should rate them up for graphics, or control, even if they did not like the gameplay. For example, WAW: Zombies, people are rating it one star because of connection issues online, yet don't take into account the single multiplayer they have enjoyed. Why not rate 2 or 3 stars?

20. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    The thing is that reviews often go to extremes. If they like a game, they usually rate it 4-5 stars, but if they hate one small aspect of a game, they rate it 1-star in order for the developer to fix it.