Universal Heroes and Castles - (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Got me out played...

2. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    That lag was pretty bad. Got killed standing inside the keep...?

3. Ne0ndrag0n

Ne0ndrag0n Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I was fine. Im just glad i was able to play with someone who doesnt suck

4. Unfortunately there r a ton of people like that...

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Damn, hard to say since the only hero I know really well is Knight. I've started the game over as Paladin after I beat it with Knight, and he's powerful in his own way, too. Just gotta utilize his skills correctly.

And I've really had next to no time with Engineer yet. :p

But so far, Knight. :D

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    And for those saying it's too hard, it's not. I've beat the game once as Knight without using any of the crystals I bought just to support the dev. If a level is too hard, stop for a second and think out the levels. This game involves a lot of strategy. If a level seems too hard, trying beating it a different way. Use different units next time. Build more gold mines, etc. :)

7. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Well said.

Just lasted 6:13 on coop with a stranger just now... The Knight + Pally combination is fantastic! Anyone up for game?

8. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    11 is the hardest so far due to all bombers but I'm on 15 and just unlocked giants so its back to being a cakewalk.

Question I'm earning three a level so does that mean if I redo a level ill get two?

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    I'm up for trying out a game! My connection's been rather weird though.

EDIT: Just saw your friend request on GC and added you! :D

10. Ruzu

Ruzu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I've only completed the first 7 levels so far, but I've experienced enough to share my own experience/opinion.

To start off, I'm a graphics freak, but not the typical kind. That being said, when I first saw the screenshots and reviews on iTunes, they weren't very impressive. So I decided to turn to TA. After reading the entire 21 pages, I decided to jump on the wagon and bought Heroes and Castles. Now usually, when a game is boring and bland, if the graphics are impressive enough, I'll just grind it out for the sake of it. With Heroes and Castles, I thought that I would get bored quickly or something. The result? The game play is so devastatingly brilliant and exhilarating that I eventually forgot how horrible the graphics were, AHAHAHAHA ;D. What IS constantly on my mind however, is "how do I beat this stage?".

I originally thought that I could take on everything by myself. How wrong I was. This is the type of game where you can only win through sheer positioning and strategy. Hiding behind your peons may be effective against the bottom tier foes, but against the bigger foes, either let your minions tank the aggro and kill them that way, or personally tank the aggro and run and hit in such a manner that'll allow your minions to hit while sustaining the least amount of damage. You can also have a rain of arrows slowing everything down as you slowly thin out the crowd. Simply put, it's impossible to survive with a "I can do it all" attitude.

What I love the most about this game, is that you CANNOT pay to upgrade your char. Because you're essentially forced to level to upgrade, it gives you a HUGE sense of accomplishment and joy when you finally do hit level 99? or was it 100?

I eventually buckled down and bought 3 $1.99 crystal packs on top of the initial $1.99 purchase price. I do not regret it one bit though. I'll definitely buy any non-consumable iaps you release in the future Foursaken!

P.S. The only gripe I have is how slow all the attack animation cycles feel.

TLDR: This game is absolutely fantastic and has earned a permanent home on my my current iPod Touch 4G, and any future iDevices that I buy. Keep up the good work Foursaken!

11. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Graphics are far from bad in fact there perfect. The mummies have a silent hill kinda look to them.

12. Reckoning

Reckoning Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I like this game its fun and it does require some strategy but the game does seem a bit hard, im stuck right now in stage 19 with orcs and the chieftains im using a lvl 16 paladin maxed out Inspire and Healing plus 2 on Damaga buff and Retribution. I tried stalling with peons but they die to quick especially with the chieftains ( 1 hit kill) i also tried with 2 giants but they also die quick because the orcs and chieftains gang up on them.

I tried pikemen and they are awesome with blacksmith but i can barely build it since theres already like 20 enemies attacking my wall so all my money goes to repairs.Mines are also a bit expensive to upgrad. Any tips these are my unit and castle upgrades:

Wooden wall:2
    Stone wall:4
    Battle Academy:5
    Blacksmith:5
    Captians tent:4
    Giant:5
    Pikemen:5
    Peons:5
    Captain:5
    Rest 1

Any buildings units i should focus on? I wouldnt mind the difficulty it just seems there is never enough gold for me lol

13. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    If you haven't upgrade mine then the walls and keep. Also archers blunderbuss and rifleman

14. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Thank you for this...

Forsaken, you guys rock. I have only commented a few times on TA about games, and most of them are for your work.

I am excited to see the update and will buy some iap to show support and promote it to my nerdy friends into orcs and knights and dwarfs with big guns haha!

Thanks so much for entertainment like this.

I can only ask/echo the request for more variety in my heroes attack... I totally agree with the keeping it simple, but maybe some rolling, movement-influenced attacks (if I am sprinting when I hit attack it is a power move, if I am running to the left he dives and shoots, etc.) again, don't know if it would be a worthy addition.... Just adding to the discussion.

Looking forward to the game next month!!

15. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yep, I got a tip. Use Barista towers. They work great against bigger enemies like Orc Chieftains, Skeleton Captains, Mummies, etc. They work even better when they're fully upgraded!

Also, if you add a couple repairmen and a Longbeard in the mix, that would help your towers, too, but they're not necessary.

But yeah, Barista towers help a LOT with bigger enemies.

16. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #496 Montanx, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    I can't get past level 7 and it took a few tries to beat 5 and 6, I don't know how people are getting to the later levels. rarely does a game kick my butt like this.

Edit: beat lvl 7 just by upgrading pikemen a lvl and spamming them. Each level really does require some thought.

17. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    What hero are you playing as? And are you losing because your hero dies, or because your keep is destroyed?

18. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Paladin, and for both reasons. I have Invested a few points into def and health as well as a health rune. I just retreat to the keep to recharge but sometimes just get killed.

19. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    #499 KiddToKmart, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Level 11 in a pain with all the Goblin bombers.

Clearing it was easy enough with the Knight's damage output but, am having a lot of trouble with the Paladin.

I put up 2 mines, a Stone Wall, and then... need suggestions which way to go!

EDIT: Cross that - just beat it ;P

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hmm... at around Lv8 or 9, i got this uncommon rune that gives +3 Armor, +7 Armor. Now my Knight is just wreaking havoc.

The reason why knights are easier to use (so far, my pally and knight have reached Lv18) is that the knight can take damage to high priority targets like goblin snipers, goblin siegers and catapults. My Paladin can only wish he could bring a few bodyguards with him so he could direct some damage to these targets. If i decide to break off from my army to take on the high prio targets (I HAVE TO on some stages), my paladin doesnt deal as much damage, and i leave my army without auras.

Im only at Lv6 with my Dwarven Gunner, so im not sure how he'll hoold up in later levels.