Joan Mad Run – Bloody indie scroll shooter for pixel lovers.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Happybyte, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Lol I kept waiting for some 80s band to start rocking out

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Signed up on Testflight, hope I get to be involved. Love the art style and little details.

Any more details on the gameplay? Platformer-shooter? Roguelike elements?

3. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #23 Happybyte, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    =)

Initially it was planned as a platformer where the main char movement is fully controlled - run, jump, climb like in common platformets.

Then we found out that the control scheme for this is not that convenient - so, we had pass through really lots of experiments.

The current prototype uses a new control scheme that allows two fingers (not dual joystick) to control all with gestures only without any buttons. The only thing we changed is that the main character now contantly runs, like in runner games. With gestures you jump up and down between different layers/levels, switch weapons, fire primary and secondary shots.

How it will be further we will be deciding on the feedback we'll receive from you and with you help during beta-test :)

Yet, even if we are going with the current runner-alike scheme, we are going to make it not just a simple linear runner. There will be hidden levels that go up above and down below the straight line. And, of course, boss fights.

4. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Just a friendly reminder about the first beta build going live tomorrow approximatemately next evening/EU or morning/US.

A million thanks to all of you who signed up for the beta. We din't expect such a great support from you, fellow ladies and gentleman. So, we are really excited about how much people have joined :)

IMPORTANT thing is - there are still some people who signed up, but didn't log into the TestFlight website with their devices, so, they have 0 devices linked to their account. If you are one of them, please do so before we roll out the beta. Otherwise you won't be able to run beta, which won't be digitally signed specifically for your devices.

5. Bronxsta

Question: I'm thinking of getting into game development. Starting easy with Stencyl and/or Construct, maybe GameMaker later. What program did you use?

6. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    If you are about the game engine, it's is a very heavily modified Cocos 2D. I would even say our own fork of it. The OOB Cocos 2D (and probably all other engines) when you come to doing exactly what you want and how you want starts suffering from major performance issues. So, to sustain required 60 fps you need to go deep into OpenGL, shaders and rendering performance optimization architecture.

7. NarrowStreet

NarrowStreet Well-Known Member

It's amazing what can do one gif. Great job guys. I really like it.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If not too late I applied for the beta, thanks to the developers in advance for any consideration.

9. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    =)

I've approved latest beta registrations, so you are in.

We still have somewhat like two hours until registration is closed.

After it we will be creating a certificate to sign the beta and will be uploading it to TF.

10. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    So, together with launching the beta tonight I’ve added more loveable pixel content into the main post – screenshots of a few of locations and one of Joan posters. Just for you to see that we have much more content than we made available in the first beta build today. Have a look – don’t miss it :)

Next, after todays content update, we’ll be adding more animated gifs and videos into the main thread post – mostly weapon effects and locations.

Now also a few words about the beta build.

This is the very first beta build of the game, so it doesn’t contain too much, yet should show you how it would look like. It’s built around a few sections of the first location, no dynamic lighting, not all effects are done yet. So, please don’t blame us much for graphics and content yet. It’s a work in progress. We’ll be adding more levels, boss fights, menus, upgrades, power ups and so on after we program all weapons and effects.

It comes with around 25% of weapons that we planned for the initial release – knife, pistol, shotgun, AK-47 with grenade launcher, an extremely cruel laser with primary and secondary shots and freezing cannon, also with freezing grenade.

Some weapons, like AK-47, laser and freeze cannons, have secondary shots – don’t miss the opportunity to use them as well, they are quite fun – especially laser flare.

We didn’t have much time to create a good tutorial yet, so, before diving into the beta, please have a look at the touch control instructions via the button on the main screen or the in game pause button. They should be more or less simple, but you need to know it before "tapping to start".

Basically swiping on the left side of the screen is for jumping and weapon switching. Tapping on the right side is the primary shot. Swiping the right side is the secondary weapon shot.

Send bug reports to [email protected]

Tell us your game impressions, opinions and suggestions here. We’re interested in making the game as much fun as possible. Your opinions will give us hints where we’re moving in the right direction.

Enjoy the beta :)

P.S. Our apology to all iPad 3/4 owners for only 30FPS – can feel like a lag. Try it also on iPhones or iPods. We’re still working on it :(

P.P.S. How do you like the new pics from the main post?

11. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Score and coins are not counted yet - this is a feature, not a bug :)

We are now spending most time programming weapons and weapon effects.

And you might have noticed that ammo is inifinite, what is also a beta feature.

P.S. For those, who missed the beta signup, this is how we test it:

12. Bronxsta

#32 Bronxsta, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    Should have come here first before sending feedback. Good to know that bosses, more environments, are coming.

13. MrAwesomeSauce

Aug 5, 2013
    Just started playing this game and I made it to the title screen and I'm already so in love with it! After a few rounds I'm gone. I want the full game right now. Can't wait for the release! The graphics, gameplay mechanics, music, sound fx, everything is phenomenal so far.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    This plays pretty darn nice for a beta. I am looking forward to seeing this evolve.

15. Bronxsta

Sure does. The highlight for me so far is the weapons. It just never gets old destroying enemies with the various guns. Really hope any kind of upgrade system focuses on making the guns crazier and more over the top. Actually I hope the devs use Painkiller and Bulletstorm as inspirations

16. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    I hope that they can add character customization.

17. Bronxsta

IMO I hope they don't. I really like how the designed character looks. Any customization, I'd like to be focused on the guns

18. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Looks pretty cool.

What's the release date?

19. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    This is looking boss :eek: