iPhone Joe Dever's Lone Wolf® - (by Forge Reply)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Forge Reply, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    That's my "randomly bought from the bookstore when I was a kid" copy. Think I wrote in it quite a bit.

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    They made the monster look a bit less...dorky ;)

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    My misses bought me a set of 10 of the reprint versions for my birthday this year :D
    There great but it also makes me appreciate the digital versions of all the game books for not having to keep track of your stats and things yourself.

I like the traditional choose your own adventure books but this looks like a very cool mix between book and game.

Attached Files:

4. Forge Reply

Forge Reply Well-Known Member

Sorcery is indeed another great Gamebook series!

The passive abilities are triggered when it's not your turn.
    Parry and dodge are more likely to happen if you still have some endurance points (green bar) after you finish to perform some actions.
    Every different ability is tied to a specific interaction on the screen but we're still balancing the combat sequences so something may still change.

We will talk about the influences of our art direction in an upcoming post. Stay tuned and thanks for your excitement!

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Record keeping for dead tree game books was a chore because sometimes the books are unclear about what they want in my inventory and I have to guess if what I have matches what is being asked for. Fighting Fantasy books have less of this problem as they gave numbers which are used to add to the given number to get to the right page, so when the page I turned to doesn't make sense, it meant I did not have the right item. Anyway, glad that the iPad is handling these trivialities nowadays. :)

6. Forge Reply

We have received some questions about the game and the answers can be quite interesting so we add them to the FAQ at the end of the original post.

Q: As Lone Wolf progresses, does he have the ability to chain more moves together?
    A: There are specific combat techniques for each weapon that Lone Wolf wields. Some correspond to a single blow, while others chain more together. If Lone Wolf focuses on a specific weapon and its techniques, they will improve.

Q: it would be cool to be able the target enemy body parts.
    A: Our combat system is hybrid: it’s turn based, but there’s a time limit to deal with when you attack. Therefore, we have decided to keep the target management tied to the single enemy as a whole, considering that there can be up to three on screen at the same time.

Q: The huge sword strapped to Lone Wolf's back. Is it used for boss battles or a special attacks?
    The huge sword is actually the Sommerswerd / Sun Sword! It features very powerful and spectacular attacks, but they tend to cost a lot in terms of resources -and they can’t just be launched over and over again. The Sommerswerd can turn the tide of a battle, but you’ll have to be very careful about when and how to unleash its great power.

Q: Can Lone Wolf duel wield?
    Definitely! The shield is just one of the options you’ll have when you define your fighting style. Obviously, dual-wielding will let you inflict higher damage, but it will also leave you more exposed when the enemies strike at you.

7. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    This looks to be very interesting. Looking forward to further updates!

8. Forge Reply

#28 Forge Reply, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    You can also check the official site and the Facebook page of the game:

On Facebook we are conducting an experiment called Social Reading Experience

[​IMG]

Every week we publish one or more sections of Flight from the Dark, the first original gamebook of the Lone Wolf series, so that we can play through the story together. Every time the book asks for a choice, we publish a poll to make the decision. We check and pick the option that get the most votes, publishing the corresponding section to advance the story.

You can join in whenever you want and contribute to Lone Wolf’s progress through the story, so check the Facebook page if you want to participate (you can find the rules in an old post)!

9. Forge Reply

You asked about the sources of inspiration for the game and we have prepared a blog post about it.

Here's also three screenshots taken from the fade sequence between the book and the combat section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have asked to our art director and you are right: the works of Bernie Wrightson are a source of inspiration for the illustration of the book section of the game.

10. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks for the response.

I truly believe that what your art director and team have crafted will surely
    influence how other digital game books are designed.

This looks epic!

Thanks

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    The transition sequences are brilliant, looking forward to getting this in my hands

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

This.

But... It's... Awesome? Hopefully!

13. So do we have a date yet can't wait to feel like a teen again with this...

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yeah I'm liking what they have done with the gamebook/video game here, hope its not to far off being released.

15. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Never heard of this until now. Such a great idea combining the game and the book. Some really cool devs thinking outside of the box when it comes to gamebooks :)

16. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Bumping this. Where ya at, devs?

17. Forge Reply

Great news are coming, just a little more patience!

18. jamessh1

jamessh1 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Thanks for the update . Just scrambled upon this thread today and will wait patiently :)

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Can not wait!

20. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    +1..this will go side by side with sorcery!!:D