metroidvania/ deep exploration games for iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by foodeater, Sep 23, 2011.

1. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Maybe they abandoned definitely the project, or maybe a new updated Grokion with more content is arriving soon.

2. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

#22 Planetshooter, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    I'll add a few that don't seem to have been mentioned already...

Astronot - here's the lite version

Terava - not 100% Metroidvania, but close enough. Again, here's the lite version

Mars Miner - This version is free (at time of writing)

If you're after a digging/exploring game broken up into various levels, Miner Disturbance is close enough to a Metroidvania game to be worth a look.

[edit] - How the heck did I forget Emberwind? Here's a link to the iPad version. Absolutely brilliant game.

As previously mentioned by others, Swordigo is excellent.

3. Thx for this :)
    It's kinda similar to Avenger but you also have magic, guns, fast attacks... I'm loving it :D

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Lemegeton isnt bad, worth checking out and i think theyve changed it now to a freemium model.

5. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #25 Darth Ronfar, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    Its Waking mars

Also Nihillumbra is probly my fav goty and it's kind of metroidvaniaish

Also check out(some not exactly metroidvania but close I guess) -

Glow fish
    Lara croft :TGoL
    Nyx Quest
    Star Marine
    Bio Crisis
    Bards tale
    Assassins creed
    Meganoid
    Stardash
    Perfect cell
    Beyond Ynth
    Dynamite Jack
    Apocaplype max
    Samurai 2: Vengeance
    Spider: TSoBM
    Another World
    Astronaut
    Commander pixman
    Cavorite
    Shantae's Risky Revenge
    Alien Homonid
    Dark Incursion

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Some good games, but I'd argue that a majority of those are not even remotely Metroidvania in definition, even loosely. Usually when the term is used it is so to imply the world design hierarchy or Metroid, Catastlevania 2 and the later Castlevania games (SotN and beyond) to clearly identify the presence of a fully navigable world where steady progress is controlled through upgrades and powers you earn through play. Levels is a disqualifier as this goes against the very thesis of the idea of Metroidvania style games, which is an emphasis on exploration.

Meganoid, Commander Pixman, and somewhat Shanate's Risky Revenge, Waking Mars and Dark Incursion fall into that subgenre. The rest are loosely associated to actions games and adventure games with puzzle mechanics emphasized over exploration. For example, Nihilumbra is more akin to Oddworld, Flashback and Another World than it is in any way to being a Metroidvania game. There ate clear levels and there is little to no exploration.

If anything I am disagreeing for discussions sake! The unfortunate fact is that there are not nearly enough games in this style, on iOS or in general! Pretty much all the ones available have been listed already.

7. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Ya I know a good bit aren't metroidvaniaish, I was just thinking of games as close as I could to it... Since of the lack of those exact types.

I'd still say games like Nyx quest,Lara croft, perfect cell And star marine are close becasue they involve power ups , exploration and allot of other similarities even if it is level based.

And others that aren't level based have a good bit of exploration even if they are more adventure,Rpg.

And nihilumbra you do earn powers and play through the game agin so it's a stretch I guess...

8. Another game in the same vibe to Castlevania / Ghost n Goblins is BloodPact, although this version is kinda glitchy...