iPhone Project "Joan" – bloody indie scroll shooter for pixel lovers

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Happybyte, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011

I think we'll sort things out close to the date we let the beta go live.

We have pretty much of tools, including our own web sites, but I'm not really fond of making anyone registering extra accounts on extra sites or something - I prefer keeping things simple.

We'll probably use the email like [email protected], that will be set up to work with the Reqeust Tracker. A powerful software used by many large companies, even NASA, and it requires no registration. It's as simple as just sending email and it won't be lost, will become a request in our internal system. So, as I wrote already, we'll discuss thins with the team and will decide closer to the beta release. I would prefer a solution that would just work. Without an extra registration :)

2. waffer15

waffer15 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Wow that music is unreal. But how is the music gonna loop, it doesnt sound like it would be able to play on a loop and not have the jump from one note to a random other note. But the music is amazing,

3. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    The first soundtrack I posted is for the main screen and menu only.

This, the second sountrack is an improved version of one of gameplay loops.

So, it will loop eventually. Although I'm not sure if it will be a straight loop. As far as I'm informed this loop has an "attack" part.

4. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    Ohhh. Okay. Cant wait to finally play it on the 5th. Any chance of seeing any gameplay before then

5. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    We had to choose between either earlier beta build delivery or earlier gameplay presentation demoed into public. The first option has won. So, beta program participants are the first to see the gameplay (or a raw, early version of it).

Actually, there are things yet to be done to the engine to make it more fun and more visually appealing like extra effects and dynamic lighting, yet the beta is ready to give the feeling of the gameplay and the controls – this goes earlier because we already had the prototype.

The video of the gameplay or the animated demo needs more time to be prepared in a right way – we’ll be posting it into public as soon as it is ready, might be a matter of about a week until the first public post with video.

6. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Just a friendly reminder about the first beta build going live tomorrow approximatemately next evening/EU or morning/US.

A million thanks to all of you who signed up for the beta. We din't expect such a great support from you, fellow ladies and gentleman. So, we are really excited about how much people have joined

IMPORTANT thing is - there are still some people who signed up, but didn't log into the TestFlight website with their devices, so, they have 0 devices linked to their account. If you are one of them, please do so before we roll out the beta. Otherwise you won't be able to run beta, which won't be digitally signed specifically for your devices.

7. Bankai44

Bankai44 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Professional Mother Lover
    With your mom
    Ready and waiting; both devices registered. Are you wanting our bug reports & feedback sent to the email you mentioned earlier ([email protected])? Or did you come up with something else for us all to communicate?

I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

;)

8. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    What is your testflight name, is it advanced something. Because i got something from them, is that you guys.

9. Bankai44

Dec 27, 2009
    With your mom
    Yes it is. If you have the same TestFlight email; he says he's Paully from Happymagenta and mentions this "Joan" thread.

;)

10. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Yep - this was my TF email. I've specified that this is on behalf of happymagenta in the message body. Somehow my primary email traps into spam folder, so I uses this one :)

11. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Yep. We are connecting [email protected] to the Requrst Tracker system - so, this will be for bug reports. All other things like suggestions and game impressions, I would love to see it discussed right here, hence we'll be discussing things here anyway :)

12. Bankai44

Dec 27, 2009
    With your mom
    Sounds good, just waiting for that TF notification email telling me a build is available...lol.

:)

13. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    So, together with launching the beta tonight I’ve added more loveable pixel content into the main post – screenshots of a few of locations and one of Joan posters. Just for you to see that we have much more content than we made available in the first beta build today. Have a look – don’t miss it :)

Next, after todays content update, we’ll be adding more animated gifs and videos into the main thread post – mostly weapon effects and locations.

Now also a few words about the beta build.

This is the very first beta build of the game, so it doesn’t contain too much, yet should show you how it would look like. It’s built around a few sections of the first location, no dynamic lighting, not all effects are done yet. So, please don’t blame us much for graphics and content yet. It’s a work in progress. We’ll be adding more levels, boss fights, menus, upgrades, power ups and so on after we program all weapons and effects.

It comes with around 25% of weapons that we planned for the initial release – knife, pistol, shotgun, AK-47 with grenade launcher, an extremely cruel laser with primary and secondary shots and freezing cannon, also with freezing grenade.

Some weapons, like AK-47, laser and freeze cannons, have secondary shots – don’t miss the opportunity to use them as well, they are quite fun – especially laser flare.

We didn’t have much time to create a good tutorial yet, so, before diving into the beta, please have a look at the touch control instructions via the button on the main screen or the in game pause button. They should be more or less simple, but you need to know it before "tapping to start".

Basically swiping on the left side of the screen is for jumping and weapon switching. Tapping on the right side is the primary shot. Swiping the right side is the secondary weapon shot.

Send bug reports to [email protected]

Tell us your game impressions, opinions and suggestions here. We’re interested in making the game as much fun as possible. Your opinions will give us hints where we’re moving in the right direction.

Enjoy the beta :)

P.S. Our apology to all iPad 3/4 owners for only 30FPS – can feel like a lag. Try it also on iPhones or iPods. We’re still working on it :(

P.P.S. How do you like the new pics from the main post?

14. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Score and coins are not counted yet - this is a feature, not a bug :)

We are now spending most time programming weapons and weapon effects.

And you might have noticed that ammo is inifinite, what is also a beta feature.

P.S. For those, who missed the beta signup, this is how we test it:

15. Bankai44

Dec 27, 2009
    With your mom
    lol, ok...my thoughts so far. Love the laser flare! Especially when the character who's wearing the riot gear w/ the shield and you slice him in half and his halfs still come towards you...LOL. :D

The pace seems a little slow (Joan's speed), but I'm sure you made it that way for testing purposes. I keep pressing down on the screen hoping that it would "speed" Joan up.

So far I haven't noticed any bugs or issues with this build. It's running smooth on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 5.

;)

16. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    The game is addicting and amazing. I cant wait for the games score to be counted. And the gore is sweet to. Are there gonna be things we can buy inthe future.

17. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    At the risk of being banned for obscenities this game is #%%^€£*¥€>#% Awesome!

18. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    The animations are sweet and amazing. I know you are probably going to make this freemium, but i can still say that, you shouldnt do that because that is stupid. I would still get the game, but it would take away alot from it.
    Anyways, love the game, super fun, love the weapons. And the art

19. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    First of all I’d like to express lots of thanks to all beta participants, especially to those who shared their impressions, thoughts and suggestions with us already. Dear God, we just showcased a few screenshots and a very limited in terms on content beta – we didn’t expect such an “OMG” style feedback, although, of course, were hoping for it. A million thanks for your warm opinions that motivate us and lift the spirit of our team in a whole and each of us to the skies.

Next million of thanks go to Jared Nelson for mentioning our upcoming game on TA – an unexpected, yet, in the same time, a very pleasant surprise for us.

Now, I’ll take an opportunity to answer in one place all questions we received from beta program members and other sources and to tell you more about the game.

Q: What is the release date?

The second half of September 2013 seems quite realistic.

Q: Premium or Freemium?

We want it to be a Premium. We plan to publish it by ourselves. Things may change in case there will be a publisher that will make us a proposal we won’t be able to resist, yet in this case we’ll try to convince the publisher not to force us into Freemium model.

Q: Will it be on iPad, other devices?

As you might already notice the beta is universal – iPod touch 4 is also among our testing devices.

Q: Will it be a straight runner (like Jetpack Joyride) or something different?

Those who played the beta might see that it is already something more – it’s not a single tap gameplay, it uses additional, yet very intuitive gestures to jump, switch weapons, to fire primary and secondary or alternate shots. You will have to help Joan traverse through at least a dozen of levels, including secret ones to know the truth what it’s all about – the secret we’ll keep till someone playing the game will find it out through a normal gameplay.

Q: Will there be more content (locations, traps, bosses, weapons, etc.)?

Sure.

We already have drawn graphics and concepts for at least a dozen different locations, levels. There will be plenty of different traps, some of which will require a creative use of some particular weapons to pass. The game poster in the main post might give you an idea about some bosses – so, prepare for boss fights.

We somewhat focus on weapons and many different weird things they can do to mobs – in addition to what you might see in the beta already something starting from mass microwave and ending with local singularity and soul pulling cannon.

Q: Will there be character customization?

What do you mean under character customization? Weapon and gear upgrades that affect gameplay? Changing hair and skin tones?

Q: What titles inspired your game (Painkiller and etc.)?

Most of our team members are passionate, hardcore gamers. We play games since 80s of last century – most of major and not that so major titles, on lots of platforms. So, when it’s deep in your blood it’s hard to say what exactly inspires you – I’d say, everything.

QQQ: Various questions and concerns about the current beta build.

In the first early beta build we were focusing on weapons and weapon effects and the weird things it does to mobs, e.g. one of the most fun parts. Much stuff like level editing, score and coin counting was left for later, as in our game engine we can do it easily. You might notice that some stuff works partially, like the freezing grenade that freezes environment applies visual effects only to mobs.

The starting running speed in the beta was slowed down in comparison to our internal concept, may be a little bit too much slowed down. This was done on purpose, because otherwise it would only allow significantly shorter game runs. The speed grows over time and this is a parameter to be tuned in the final release and future beta builds.

Because of the lowered initial speed jumping over gaps in levels might be tough until you just run enough time for the speed to accelerate – the workaround is to use a slightly longer swipe gesture to jump higher.

If you are dying too quickly in this beta – there is a solution here for you. Try using different weapons and fire alternative secondary shots. We won’t be making a detailed tutorial until the game is complete, yet the “How to play” button should give you the clues.

Yes, weapons are a bit imbalanced in the beta. Some are a way too powerful and all have infinite ammo. Well, that’s a special weapon focused beta, isn’t it? So, you can get a taste of some cool weapons you’ll need to play the game for some time to get in the final release :) Some weapons already have cooldown timers, but they aren’t yet displayed in the health and ammo bar.

And probably not a good news now – this beta build has only one location, yet I hope the fun and the upcoming beta build update are compensating it. Running through it you won’t be able to advance to new places as it cycles through about a two dozens of the first location sections. More locations will be added to the final game. We already drawn all graphics – you can have a look into the main post for composite location screenshots. New locations will be added to upcoming beta builds as well.

So, our development roadmap is:
    - more weapons and weapon effects (all initially planned)
    - dynamic lighting effects
    - more gore, more blood and more overall environment effects
    - final balance and level design
    - more content if we have more time

Next, to give you more info on the game and because we have already drawn almost all graphic content we wanted in the launch release, we will be preparing specially composed animations and videos of different weapons and weapon effects, even until they are getting fully programmed. That is probably what you’ll see till the end of August. We’ll post screenshots and videos as soon as they are ready.

“One more thing”

There will be in game promo codes for us to be able to award players with in game content, including unique items, weapons and etc.

Joan will fully support AirPlay and TV Out with any cable type – it will be done right, not just simple mirroring (as in our Pilot’s Path).

Will also support iCade, Bladepad and iOS 7 compatible game controllers – you’ll be able to use a second iOS device as a wireless controller as well.

P.S. The public beta signup is closed, but if you want to participate, just drop me a mail to the email mentioned above or PM via forum.

P.P.S. More questions, suggestions? In the meanwhile we would love to hear more feedback from you, what would help us make the game more fun your way. Tell us here.

20. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #40 Happybyte, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    So, about the beta invites.

I've invited all who sent me requests and emails.
    We still have some space.
    PM me with your TestFlight email for an invite.

Today we have uploaded the beta for those, who wasn't included into the first beta schedult and accepted invites before 15:00 CET today.

If you don't have the beta, have problems downloading it or don't see it on TestFlight at all - please, read my hints below.

There are still some people who did not download the beta.

There are still some people who signed up with TestFlight, but did not log on into it from their devices to register the devices, so we could digitally sign the beta for them.

If you see the "Install" button on TestFlight but it just does nothing - try again later, may be using another Wi-Fi hotspot - you also may need to tap "Install" several times.

If you don't see the "Install" button or the Joan build on TestFlight, but already have registered your device by logging into the TestFlight website - please, contact me, I'll help.

If you never logged into TestFlight from you device and did not register the device - please do so and contact me too.

P.S. All who sent (and will send) me their TF emails after 15:00 CET today, will get their build ready by tomorrow.

P.P.S. And, fellow forum members, please share what you think of the Joan beta :)