GameClub Sword of Fargoal (by Fargoal, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Dec 1, 2009.

1. fargoal

fargoal Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
  2. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Not dead up in here! Quite busy, actually. No date on Fargoal 2 yet, but it'll be picking up steam again soon. Jeff wants to do a Kickstarter... not *too* keen on the idea myself, but hey... it's so crazy it JUST MIGHT WORK. Especially if I just keep codin'.

In the meantime, Cardinal Quest just came out on iOS, you should go play it. It's a pretty sweet roguelike, if you haven't heard already: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=137903

3. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    you are awesome. and tnx for the tip on checking out Cardinal Quest ;) really like Fargoal and if you suggest checking out that one, i might have to do it :)

4. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Hmm... That was the comment which encouraged me to try Cardinal Quest out... I can't wait for the Fargoal 2. It should be so god damn awesome...

5. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    One of the nice things about the delay is, I'm working on all of these other projects and figuring out things that, as a side effect, will make Fargoal 2 better. I have a bunch of stuff I'm raring to improve and enhance when I get back to it.

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I'm not waiting anymore. But will get a huge smile on my face, if it's coming into being one day.

7. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I'm with you here.

I actually almost completely forgot about Fargoal 2. I figured it had been scrapped...

8. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    As much as I really don't want to wait more... take your time...

If it means we'll receive a totally kick ass product when you release Fargoal 2, it will be worth it having waited all this time.

9. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    Heh yeah guys, don't wait... lots of other stuff to play in the meantime.

I ain't scrapping the project though, put too much into it and I'm confident it will do well once it finally reaches the finish line.

10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Alright, this may be a shot in the dark but this thread's huge and I have a few general questions.

I'm a relative newcomer to the roguelike genre and am having a hard time making it even to level 10 or so. When fighting, is it better to attack-move away-attack again? Should I try to explore all areas of a floor, going through every tunnel in a wall?

Also, occasionally I'll come across a stone cistern or glowing crystals. Is there anything I should be doing with/to them?

I fell through a hole in the floor on my last game and couldn't successfully climb the rope up to the floor I was previously on (went from 7 to 13) and was killed pretty rapidly. Is there any way to prevent this.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I just attack, I think a failed attempt to flee a battle means the enemy gets another attack so I don't risk it.

Explore EVERYTHING!! you might find spells, rare armor, etc. If nothing else you can take care of any stragglers and get the much needed EXP you need to survive the next level.

Nothing you can do with them but they are useful when you're blinded cause they give you limited visibility from the light they cast off.

Once the floor breaks you should notice a feather on the top left of the screen if you have the appropriate spell... that might help ;)

12. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    The Drift spell also increases your chances of climbing back up, as does agility, and levitation... if you're lucky/unlucky enough to be levitated, heh.

13. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks very much for the replies. I'll keep at it, since I'm definitely enjoying it despite my lackluster skills.

14. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    Dying is all part of the adventure and fun. A HAPPY DEATH TO YOU!

15. plastic_student

plastic_student Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Any news?

I know, its getting old, but did you never think about an old love?

16. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    No news, focused entirely on PUNCH QUEST. After that, we shall see. And yes, I think of it nearly every day.

17. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    :( I just started a new game the other day after not playing for a while. The game is so addictive! Heh, I often play before going to bed, and more than once I've found myself waking up and looking at my screen, suddenly realizing I had left my hero unattended. Once or twice, this has led to unfortunate results...
    Definitely looking forward to when SoF 2 comes out.

18. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    I was thinking of adding a ZEN option so it would idle out and auto-pause if you fall asleep while playing, heh. Since there's a lot of relaxing exploration, makes sense to me!

19. plastic_student

plastic_student Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Punch Quest looks really entertaining :)

Is there still alot to do on Fargoal 2?

I saw some hands-on vids hidden in the internet. Looks really great. Just release it now, bugs I find I'll fight with magic :D

20. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    Yeah there's a lot to do yet. The classes aren't fully implemented for one, most focus has been on the Fighter for development. There's definitely a lot there, much more than the original already, but still a ways to go. I just don't have time for it right now. Need to make some money to fix my roof... :x