The New iPad Retina Display Game Thread!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Borgqueenx, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Star Chase iPad 3 retina HD support

My game Star Chase will have retina HD support for the iPad 3 very soon.
    http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/star-chase/id430219304?mt=8

As well as JoyPad support for single player as well as 2-4 multiplayer support.

Will finish testing this weekend and be submitted to Apple by Monday.

:)

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I won't be getting a new iPad, I don't think (would love to upgrade, but can't quite justify it). Have devs considered the idea of having the retina update being an option in-app download, rather then out of the box? That way people with an iPad 1 or 2 don't have to have the larger size graphics. I have a game, but now I can't remember what it is, where for iPhone 4 they offered an optional in-app download (free) of retina graphics, so this appears to be doable. I think it would be a good way to go. Then after they run it, if they are on a new iPad, you give them the option of downloading the higher rez graphics. Don't offer it on other devices.

3. ultramegatronic

Feb 28, 2012
  4. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Depends on the situation. Games that use pixel art can scale stuff up at runtime without ill effects, and there's a point of diminishing returns when using larger textures on 3D models. For larger games, fitting 4 times the texture memory into 2 times the RAM simply might not work, so some sacrifices have to be made. Running 3D scenes at full res will at least reduce aliasing, and is still technically "retina" ;)

5. SimonMTL

SimonMTL Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Can anyone debunk this for me: I download a 1gig HD game app from the App Store, and install it on my iPhone 3GS. When it installs, does it keep the HD artwork and puts it in the iPhone, or does it only keep the low-resolution files necessary for my particular hardware, and erase the rest?

A lot of people are complaining that because of a retina iPad, all apps will bloat and they won't have any space left on their smaller iPhone unit...

6. Jyaif

Jyaif Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Male
    Independent game dev
    Paris, France
  7. svolskiy

svolskiy Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Kiev
    Added support for Retina display in Pinball HD and Pinball HD Collection.
    Soon to be in AppStore, probably over one week to pass review in Apple.

8. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    The game you mention ( there may be others ) is Fragger. When installing on an iphone 4 or 4s it asks you if you want to download had textures. I'm surprised apple didn't go this route because as others have said a lot of apps are going to bloat for everyone, even if you can't take advantage of the high rez assets. I guess its in apples favour to make people think that their device is old and useless so need to upgrade.

9. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I downloaded them again but I don't see a difference in the resolution of the graphics. The lines still seem to have the same jaggy edges that it had on the ipad 2 (The ship is most noticeable). Are you sure they are taking advantage of the higher resolution? The last time they were updated was in February. Is there a pending update or something? Love the games btw.

10. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    Great news !....You're the first pinball title to be iPad Retina ready :)

11. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Oh man

12. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

To our best knowledge after testing things in the Xcode iOS simulator:

Stair Dismount runs on the retina iPad in full resolution (no update needed).

Zen Bound 2 also runs in full retina resolution as it is, but there are some UI layout issues we fixed, and an update has been submitted that also changes texture detail.

Please note that not all games need an update to support the retina iPad resolution. There are probably plenty of iOS games out there that work just like PC games and run fine on every available screen size.

13. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Some discussions on twitter suggest that apps built with SDKs prior to 5.1 force a scaling factor of 1.0, so all apps will require an update (even if no code is actually changed). My iPad seems to be stuck in shipping limbo so I can't verify this myself but it makes sense. Though it seems weird that Apple didn't make this really clear when the 5.1 SDK was released :confused:

14. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    #94 kevlar x, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    I just popped in to post about this. With my ipad 2 it always p'd me off that iphone 4 retina games didn't use their retina assets when displayed on an ipad unless you jailbroke and used a jb app like retinapad. For example Ticked to ride pocket and hero academy looked dreadfull on an ipad, but using retinapad they looked great except not quite full screen. I always thought games should display their iphone retina graphics on an ipad if they were present, well on the new ipad they do!:D. This is great news, hero academy and ticket to ride pocket ( this version is preferable due to async which ipad version doesnt have ) now look great. I'm going to go through all my iphone games now checking which are now usable on ipad without looking like minecraft.

15. Solitaire City

Solitaire City Active Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi-Tech Ski Bum
    South Lake Tahoe
    Our 10 Pin Shuffle Apps have been updated to take advantage of the New iPad's retina display and have been submitted to Apple for approval. Hopefully they'll be available within a few days. They're all Universal Apps so if you buy the full version then you can install it on your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad without paying twice.

10 Pin Shuffle Full Version ($3.99)
    10 Pin Shuffle Lite (Free!)

16. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US

10 Pin Shuffle, the BEST Bowling app in the App Store in my opinion !

Thanks for updating it, I know it's going to look terrific !!

17. Uberhero

Uberhero Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Savior Of The World!
    In the neurotoxins
    BallAHolic HD

BallAHolic HD ($0.99)

Runs perfectly fine in full retina resolution.. :)

18. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    i really hope apple will add retina support for the settlers(unlikely) and starfront collision(50 %50)

19. danyowell

danyowell New Member

Mar 16, 2012
  20. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    You guys can say alot but infinity blade 2 definitely does not got retina graphics in the newest update.