Ultimate Puzzle Game Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mew2468, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #101 Ravenblack, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    1. [app] Sheeple[/app]

An interesting puzzler where you indirectly guide sheeple (ie people who can't think for themselves) to exit points by moving or destroying blocks.

[​IMG]

Discussion thread here.

2. [app]Crystal Cave Classic[/app]

Puzzle adventure where you explore treasure filled levels, avoid traps, use teleports, etc. Beautiful game.

[​IMG]

Discussion thread here.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    No one suggested to add iBlast Moki? If not that's my suggestion!!!!! Or is that not technically a puzzler.

3. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Added all 3 :)!

4. Apollo33

Apollo33 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    PA, US
    Check out Hidato (Lite)

You can also play it on your computer for free here.

The screen is from the computer version, but it looks the same on the iPhone. You're given the gold numbers, and you have to fill in all the rest, to make a single path from 1 to the maximum number (where the path can go vertical, horizontal, or diagonal).

[​IMG]

5. pokeman

pokeman Member

Sep 17, 2009
    #105 pokeman, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    I also vote to add this one on the list. It's currently free and definetly a great deal even for 1$ for all puzzle player.

Discussion thread here

6. mihir79

mihir79 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Theseus

Has anyone here completed Theseus, all levels with gold medals? Just curious to know.

Another good puzzler is Double Maze.

7. Bjame

Bjame Member

Aug 25, 2009
    alchemize

8. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    This new one looks very cool, like a fancy Double Maze.

Puzzle Paint 3D

AppStruck.com writes: "Retro inspired ball and block game with some new twists. Challenging and well designed."…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    AppStruck.com writes: "Retro inspired ball and block game with some new twists. Challenging and well designed." (4 / 5 stars)

-------------------------------------

Looking for a new puzzle game with fresh gameplay? Then you'll love Puzzle Paint!

This game is about painting motives with color balls. By tilting the device or using the alternative touch controls you can roll all color balls in one direction, but to move them relative to each other you have to use bumps in the paint area so you can eventually complete the motive.

While your tasks are easy in the beginning, they'll quickly become a real challenge with tricky special fields such as ice fields or the pipes: to be successful you have to mix colors skillfully and combine elements. If a level is too hard, nothing is lost: multiple roads lead to success - take an alternative route and solve the hard levels at a later time!

With 132 levels your tasks are not only numerous, but also contain lots of variety because apart from the puzzle levels there are two more game modes which additionally require dexterity:
    as fast as possible you have to paint complete pictures in Time Attack mode, in Arcade mode however a single long line has to be painted correctly "in passing".
    Both game modes offer five levels of difficulty and in both modes your successes are saved in highscore lists.

Furthermore, at the end of each of the five chapters a special "boss level" awaits you which offers an extraordinary challenge.

So what are you waiting for?

Features:

- All-new gameplay

- A guided tutorial helps introduce you to the game mechanics

- Many hours of play time thanks to 132 levels and endless supply in Time Attack and Arcade mode

- 3 levels of difficulty from easy to insane

- 3d graphics using the OpenGL ES capabilities of the device

- Dynamic campaign: choose your road to success or take an alternative route if a level is too hard!

- 3 varied level types which not only offer challenging puzzles, but also combine puzzle with action:
    - Puzzle levels which are about painting tricky motives
    - Time Attack levels which are about painting images as fast as possible
    - Arcade levels where you have to paint a line "in passing"

- 5 special levels at the end of each chapter which require all your skill

- Highscore lists for Arcade and Time Attack mode which can be played aside from the campaign in five different levels of difficulty

- Tricky special fields which make painting the motives a challenge: ice fields, fragile fields, pipes and more!

- Intuitive controls by tilting the device or using the touch screen

- Pause anytime and resume playing at the exact same position

To watch the trailer, do a search for "Puzzle Paint" in Youtube.

Update 1.1 with small improvements is released now.
    Update 1.2 with a new control mode and much more is under development.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Puzzle, Strategy
    Release:Oct 20, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

9. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Cool, adding.

Not yet but I'm almost there :).

Right, forgot about Double Maze. Adding.

Already there.

Adding.

10. Ravenblack

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #110 Ravenblack, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    [app]Blockhouse[/app]

Blockhouse is a tilt puzzle where the objective is to get solid block shapes into the position of the same color marked squares. You can do this by tilting the device or sliding the shapes with your finger. The blocks slide as far as it can, so that you need to think about shape interaction with the puzzle area and/or with the other blocks in the same puzzle.

Current price of USD0.99 for 100 unique puzzles.

[​IMG]

Discussion thread here.

11. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
  12. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Adding. Thanks for putting my thread in your sig. :D

I'm going to leave it out just because I don't classify games like Tetris as puzzle games even if they require puzzle solving.

13. Cron

Cron Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Some stuff I don't see. (not sure if they all qualify as Puzzle Games)

Eliss-Lite

Numeri-Lite

Moonlights

Slideshot-Lite (the full version is free, and the lite version costs 1.99; I like their business model)

14. Ravenblack

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    [app]Slideshot[/app] looks like a really interesting game. Yes, the lite version costs 1.99. So if you download the full version and you like it, show support for it by downloading the lite and give the devs their due reward. :)

Here's something in the same vein.

[app]Bugsy[/app]

A tile sliding puzzle where you make paths for the bug (the ladybug) to get to the blooms. It's quite a challenging game.

[​IMG]

Discussion thread is here.

@Mew2468 -- Thanks for keeping the first page list updated. :) I love puzzle games, so the sig is a way to hopefully find more of them.

15. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Slideshots is very good, very difficult too. Few levels and I'm stuck.

Saw this one today. Not sure how it is though.

Picosaic

Picosaic - A REAL 3D PUZZLE

Just rotate and scale the segments set in space to reproduce the given picture. Ea…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Picosaic - A REAL 3D PUZZLE

Just rotate and scale the segments set in space to reproduce the given picture. Easy to play challenging to master.
    One of its kind art design & simple, fun gameplay.

Play on more than 50 levels through carefully customized pictures.
    Sublimely presented pictures are split up into more and more segments as you make progress in the game which makes reproduction more difficult. The shorter time you complete a level the higher you get on the local or online ranking list.
    Each level has its own ranking so you can match yourself against the others even if its a player on your own device or anywhere else in the world.

Moreover, if you are through with reproducing the stock pictures you can even import your own ones to play with.

REVIEW
    "A relaxing puzzle title with a good amount of content, fluid controls and a tranquil atmosphere."
    www.weplayiphone.com

FEATURES
    - unique and modern art design
    - save game progresses of endless number of players within the family or with friends
    - submit and compare your achievements online
    - more than 50 increasingly challenging levels through carefully customized pictures
    - import your own pictures and set the number of splits
    - play in-game music or anything from your iPhone/ iPod Touch

Follow us on Twitter @InvictusGames
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Arcade, Family, Puzzle
    Release:Oct 09, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

16. Ravenblack

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Picosaic looks good, but it doesn't seem like logic puzzle game. It's sort of in the same vein as Zen Bound. :)

[app] Push Genius [/app]
    ([app] Push Genius Lite [/app])

Tried the lite version. It is hard. Or I'm just horrible at push-block-eliminate games. It plays a bit like Fling and Sphaira. But you need to look at the setup of the board, decide where to place your pushing-piece and start the chain of elimination. The interesting thing is that some of the squares that you need to get rid of is stacked up to three layers, and you only remove one layer at a time.

Play the lite. It's got 60 levels. I think the full version goes into the hundreds, from what the screens show.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Discussion thread here.

17. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Added! Slideshot looks good; they're approach to the market is interesting.

Added!

No problem - I'm also discovering many puzzle games from my thread :D.

I'm going to leave it out because like Ravenblack said, it's not really a logic puzzle game.

Added!

18. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Yah, I realized that after watching the vid :eek:

19. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    I'm in the process of developing a puzzle game that I think you guys would really like(you've got similar taste me). It's kinda like Sheepish but with trains and mixing colours. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of price you're all used to paying for puzzle games of this sort? Not trying to hijack the thread, it just seems like this is the best place to ask. I was thinking of charging 2.99 because it's a bit more of a niche/premium genre. Am I crazy?

Also, a couple puzzle games I've found to add to the list: "Evacuation" is pretty fun, and "Vector Blocks" is a cool idea, but it's a little laggy/glitchy.

20. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, look at http://www.mobclix.com/appstore/1/apps/games/p-puzzle and scroll through the pages seeing which top selling puzzle games are what price. The list includes the free ones, so you'll have to scroll through some pages given that free sells best of all.

What I take from it is that if your not a Bejeweled, Tetris or at least an Enigmo, you'll really need some luck and exceptional game to sell well at 2.99.