We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This. People aren't even arguing about the price anymore, lmao.

Anyways, my alarm broke in the middle of the night so I should have been at work 18 minutes ago, and I don't have time to read through release threads anymore either :[. See y'all later though! Less than 100 comments in the FFT thread so far though, good stuff, lololol.

2. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    @Peekachu99: No one is forcing you to buy it. If it's too expensive for you, stick with Zenonia or other super generic RPGs. Or throw a bird and slash some fruits.

Really, if you call this half-assed, you've never played Capcom's Devil May Cry or Resident Evil. Or how about the awesome Virtua Fighter 2, Golden Axe 3 and other Genesis games? Sega didn't even care to optimise the emulator, didn't put any additional content like in the PS2 version, and just slap some uncostumisable virtual buttons that don't even respond well. That, my friend, is a half-assed effort.

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I think you'll find that the thread for whining about developers who dare sell their products for more than $1 is actually located in the General forum; I've provided a handy link for you so you can provide your expert opinion there.

I don't envy the moderators having to shovel all of these posts out of the thread in the morning. :p

4. Peekachu99

Peekachu99 Member

Jul 1, 2011
    SE has a million products in development at the moment as well as a colossal deficit from FF XIV and low yearly sales overall, which they're struggling to rectify. They only recently (last year or so, I believe) purchased/ set up a mobile focused studio and that studio had TWELVE games at the time of its incipience in development - FFT port being one of said games. So porting assets from one system to another and adding touch controls in about a year with 1/12 of the resources available to a particular studio, DOES NOT indicate much quality time in the oven.

Nor does it justify a $16 price tag, not to me at least.

5. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    they heck don't buy it then =P

I skipped out on the psp version because of stretched sprites and lag. Which is why I'm picking this version up.

FFT can last a few hundred hours easily. So the cost per hour of gameplay kinda works out imo =P

6. Peekachu99

Peekachu99 Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Had you read my earlier post, I said I wasn't going to buy it till it was 1/2 price at least :)

7. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    As a consumer you get your say by buying or not buying. So let's not go through this, again.

8. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    #1788 C.Hannum, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    (in before the inevitable dump of FFT whinage overtakes this thread)

Not too under the hood for me, and I appreciate that little bit of insight because in all the endless bitching back and forth about retina relative to HD-universal development and pricing, that is the first thing anyone has ever said that makes considerable sense for justifying the price differential since for the pre-iPad existing properties (and even those that came out in the months afterward), the premium makes perfect sense because that kind of a code overhaul actually is almost a complete redevelop of the title if it's tweaked and polished correctly.

I've often seen people claim the HD was "twice the work" but not having considered the touch grid coordinate differences, I never understood how that could be since the art assets seemed like you'd just to the *.psd sources and, ta-da, retina/HD assets in the space of an afternoon, but if you've also got to completely re-write the entire under the hood touch UI, that's clearly not just an afternoon of search and replace code changes.

9. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    That we understood by now... :rolleyes: maybe it's time to collect impressions and let the people enjoy the game that aren't your opinion, don't ya think? :)

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Wasn't this the price reduct thread before? Either way I don't like the thread's name, it's too rude...

11. Peekachu99

Peekachu99 Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Its a forum for discussion. I wasn't forcing my opinion on anyone. I can voice my voice as a consumer, even if its to NOT purchase the game. Telling me that I can't do that, rolling one's eyes, etc, makes you the bully, btw. I only stated that I wouldn't purchase the game and didn't hammer the thread. The second post was in response to a dialogue another poster began as was the third.

You might want to examine who is being the keyboard warrior here. I'm out! Peace!

12. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    This is good news, thanks :)

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This isn't and never was a thread. It's a trash can. Simple as that.

14. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
  15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  16. Lazer

Lazer Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Hey, thanks for the response. I've seen those claims too, but never with the information to back it up, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially here on TA. Considering just how much interest there seems to be in pricing decisions, I find it curious how little information is out there concerning why those decisions were made. I'm glad I could provide some insight, and will continue to endeavor to do so.

17. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Why can't the mods just delete posts, or is that not allowed?

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Respect.

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Bingo. So ask yourself the question why, would "moderators" instead of simply deleting posts they deem unworthy, instead collect them all in one single thread, where they do their best to misquote, misrepresent, and antagonize the original posters into further discussion?

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    well they did just delete a post from someone who said 'piracy is the best policy' ...

I think they use it to take out aggression like they can't in other threads... =oP