We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #1 tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    I saw Canabalt on the front page today, and I just finished playing the flash version online. For the few minutes I played the game, I had an absolute blast. The animation and sounds are fantastic! However, I'm a little worried about its replay value. Do any of you have Canabalt? Have you gotten tired of it? Is it worth $2.99?

UPDATE: No, I do not believe it is worth $2.99. It would probably be better to spend $10 on Mirror's Edge than $3 on a stripped down clone of it.

2. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    The game is fun for a while (a week at most), but after that I regret buying it. I absolutely think it's worth a dollar. I know money is something devs need but the app store today have much better games than this- Canabalt.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    well, the good news is that the game is pretty much exactly the flash version + twitter high score shoutouts. So you 100% know what you are getting.

The $2.99 price point has been a point of contention, so your mileage may vary, but we put it in the top list because we enjoyed playing it well beyond the first few days.

arn

4. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    If you enjoy the flash game then yeah. Aside from a small amount of framerate dip its the exact same game. The music is still killer and the jumping is still satisfying as hell.

5. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #5 DaveMc99, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    That is a good standard. If a game is still being talked about in the threads and in the Top 100 games weeks after it was released then it is worth it to most people. :)

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  7. Backflip Studios

Backflip Studios Well-Known Member

This is really an outstanding game, one that I find myself coming back to again and again. Well worth $2.99 in my opinion.

8. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    #8 freedog, Nov 3, 2009
    IMO it was not worth it. The gameplay content is really shallow and the only thing you are able to do in the game is tap to jump. Background scenery repeats itself over and over. The game has a cool presentation, the type that will make you say "wow this is awesome" when you first start playing and then 10 minutes later have you yawning and wanting more out of the game. Play Canabalt for 45 seconds and you've seen everything the game has to offer, no lie. The sad part is that over 90% of all $.99 games in the store have more content than the $3 Canabalt. Save your money.

9. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
  10. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

No way. Check the other games at the same price point for comparison. I don't mind supporting indie devs but they have to be reasonable.

11. Bok Choy

Bok Choy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Student
    It's worth $1.99 or less. But at $3, I would have to say no. The week I got it, I played multiple times but after a while it gets boring.

12. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Herefordshire, U.K.
    Is it fu**. I won't be touching it until it's a dollar.

13. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Don't get me wrong, the effort that went into Canabalt is clearly evident, but for the same price you could get Soosis and have a lot more to do. Or something like Doodle Jump, which has the same kind of quick, simple, game play, but for 1/3 the price.

I've already spent about $60 in the app store, and I'm trying to cut down. I'll continue to try Canabalt online, but in the meantime I'm just going to get Doodle Jump.

Thank you for the replies everyone (except drelbs).

14. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    The dev had a bunch of his friends/supporters go in the original Canabalt thread to talk up the game. I've never seen so many devs under new screen names in a thread trying to promote a game. Anyone who got the game for free like website representatives will likely support the game as well, because they arent the ones who overpaid $3 for it.

15. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    3 dollars is unreasonable?

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#16 Eli, Nov 3, 2009
    First of all, here is my receipt for paying for Canabalt-

[​IMG]

Secondly, please stop with all the shill stuff. I checked out all your accusations in the previous thread and none of them turned up anything. Why is it so unbelievable to you that people enjoy the game?

17. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    oh christ hodapp Im just pointing out what I noticed in the thread. Its obvious the only thing you care about is supporting devs even if they are shady.

18. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    You can get Hero of Sparta or Samurai: Way of the Warrior for 2 dollars.

I don't think 3 dollars is unreasonable at all for a game like this, but the developers have to consider the competition. For the same price, a customer can get more from another game.

19. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    I think its a good game, and i paid for it

20. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    I absolutely understand where you're coming from in that you can get great experiences for less money, but those developers are just being way too reasonable. I get why some people pissed about paying this much, but when you think about it, it's still only 3 dollars and there is just something awesome about bringing your favorite time-waster on the go