Will iphone gaming die due to piracy?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by linuslim, Jan 26, 2010.

1. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I'll be honest, I jailbroke my machine and I *did* try some pirated apps.

So then two things:

(1) My phone was less stable and slower
    (2) I couldn't get the updates for the apps right away - had to wait for a new pirate version to be released so I could update
    (3) I felt like a real cheap bastard pirating something that would cost me 99c - seeing a developer go under because players wouldn't even buy their product at that price just seems wrong...

That was some time back. I realised that the overall experience with my phone was significantly lessened by what I was doing. I restored the phone back to an unjailbroken state, cleared my apps up and I'm back to buying from the appstore with the best of them. Over 300 apps purchased to date.

I know others who have been through exactly this same process - and arrived at the same conclusions that I did. I wonder how many others go through this too - perhaps a lot of the 'pirate' community consists of this ongoing 'churn' of people giving it a go then realising that in fact they've lost quite a bit by doing so. If this is the case then things aren't as bad as they seem...

Jamie.

2. jbone1337

jbone1337 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    #42 jbone1337, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    do you never look at both sides lol?

yes not all 38million are gamers, but not all 2 million pirates are gamers either >.>

Also think, EVERYTHING electronically stored can and WILL be pirated. Ive never heard of companies going under because of piracy. You would have to be ignorant to expect the product(s) you make will not be pirated.

3. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Far more than that, actually.

Look at this thread for all the possible cost evaluation :
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=42503

I'm personally hitting the 10000 $ bar, and not even taking into account the money per time spent.

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Yes, and we both hope it stay that way :)

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #45 Vovin, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010

You're trying really hard, do you? :D

But with over a dozend big companies joining the existing big companies now and designing / porting their first iPhone games, no chance.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You would too if you were on the payroll ;)

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, but he's the worst marketing manager I saw in my whole life! :D

But I understand that. Indie devs future will be really hard with all those big companies coming to the iPhone now.

8. MichaelScott

Jan 24, 2010
    There you admit it already so let's unite and stop fighting amongst ourselves.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

"Amongst ourselves"?

source: http://forums.toucharcade.com/converse.php?u=38481&u2=24366

Who is this "we", btw.?

10. MichaelScott

Jan 24, 2010
  11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #51 Vovin, Feb 1, 2010

Wow... yes - and you are fighting THEIR battles. Against whom? Who is the dark force you are struggling against? The sinister evil?

LOL, everyone on TA is supporting good indie games. But the most also love games from bigger companies. But that's nothing for you, I know. There is only black and white for you, only good and evil. No shade of grey in between.

Are you some kind of megalomaniac?

And - have you EVER thought about my words? That there is a niche for everyone? That both indies and big companies can exist in peaceful coexistence? As far as I know - that works for over 20 years of gaming.
    But sorry. I recognized that you can't come up with reasonable answers.

12. enkein

enkein Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Latvia , Riga
    wtf, stop crying about this !! developers get 20 million dollars ( iam talking about the developers like gameloft ...) piracy takes of them , maybe 2 million dollars. We , gamers who are buying this games, are to many, piracy cant destroy iPhone gaming !!!

P.S soory about my bad English, but i needed to tell that :p

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm an indie supporter, but I wouldn't really say we're on the same side. I find it funny how you bravely declare than the iPhone is "no place" for large companies though, as though there was ever a rule or announcement saying it was open to indie developers only. It's always been open to anyone and everyone, and for once the big guys and the little guys are managing to co-exist peacefully. Games like NOVA and GTA are making their sales, and games like Flight Control and Doodle Jump are making theirs too. About 80% of the top games on the UK App Store right now are by indie developers, the only big name games I can see at first glance are GTA and Rock Band, so looking at it logically... the indies are not in any danger at all. Both Apple and all the major iPhone gaming sites are constantly promoting indie games, and that's not likely to stop.

The only person disrupting the peace is you, fighting a cause that doesn't need your "help" at all, as there are already plenty of other people doing the same thing only with a substantially higher amount of tact. This entire site and forum has always been extremely indie-friendly, yet somehow you manage to annoy everyone regardless.

Oh, and the biggest danger to indie games... spam apps. The like the ones you're supporting in that other topic. They crowd the App Store and make the genuine games harder to find.

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #54 Vovin, Feb 1, 2010

Yes, and when one million spam apps are out, Mr Michael Scott will go like:

And the most annying fact is, that Mr Scott NEVER comes up with facts. No fact. Not one. No fact about big companies. No fact about indie devs. He always repeats his three always-the-same sentences like a mantra. He just isn't resonable.

15. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Vovin, you crack me up.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

T'was a pleasure. :)

17. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Goodbye Mr Scott.

@Vovin: Are you familiar with the works of Nostradamus?

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, I am. Why?

19. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    You have talent.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Thanks very much. I hope there isn't hidden sarcasm in it... ;)