Karate Fighter 1.0

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Stroffolino, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    In review now, "Karate Fighter" for ipod/iphone is a loving homage to 70's kung fu movies and classic 80's arcade beat 'em ups.

The game features 8 action packed levels and over a dozen enemies including
    grapplers, stick swingers, knife throwers, chain slingers, giant karateka, kickboxers, serpents, dogs, demons, and axe wielding villains.

Rather than using a virtual d-pad, gameplay in the initial release is mapped to a set of contextual buttons to avoid the need for finger gymnastics. For example, a single button press causes the hero to crouch, turns around, and attack to the left.

Phil

Attached Files:

2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    wow wow wow, is this what i think it is? my fav all time arcade classic? dare i say it....Kung Fu Master?????

(please say yes)

3. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    controls look kinda weird, I wonder how they will work when played and why they aren't shoved into one or two joy sticks/d pads.

4. Yes it does look a bit like that doesn't it?
    I must admit, I am a bit dubious about those controls- it does look like there are just too many imo. Of course, it would be better to see it in action. Have you got a video of it in action you could upload to YouTube and embed it here?

5. indyraider4

Feb 8, 2009
    Yeah, it just looks like too many buttons in an inconvenient area.

Also if there is no video I would love to get some footage of it on the iphone sim and make one for you!

6. #6 wastedyuthe, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    Regardless of the controls and how it plays, I just want to say I love the artwork for the menus- very suitable for the game. It's a pity the character in the game itself doesn't use the same style as the character in the menu.
    In fact, it looks like the game screen was made by someone other than the person who designed and drew the menus. The score at the top of the game screen for example, ought to use the same font. Just my opinion.

7. sjleworthy

Dec 18, 2008
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    if he's a good dev then i'm sure he'll listen to his users. i know loads of others that have changed control systems over before now because of popular public demand.

what does 'in review now' mean? it's been submitted?

8. I'm assuming that means it's submitted.
    But I don't want to be premature about the controls. I don't think it's fair to ask for the controls to be changed just because they 'look' cumbersome. They may actually work well- we won't know until we see them in action I suppose, which is why I asked for a video.
    The problem with it is this is going to be a popular first impression, I suspect- and first impressions go a long way.

9. sjleworthy

Dec 18, 2008
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    aye. as long as controls are good then fine. i'll be splashing out a $ or 2 the minute it comes out :)

next.....roll on PacLand :)

10. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    "in review" = "submitted to apple"

The control overlay looks funny, yes, but it's the result of a lot of playtesting across arcade-savy friends, not-so arcade savy friends, and even my 3 1/2 year old who loves action games. The big fat buttons are super easy to press, so you dont have to worry about lack of gamepad tactile feedback. I have a personal bias against virtual dpads, though in hindsight I probably should have left that as a user option.

No worries - there will definitely be updates.

11. Did you try having the direction buttons on one side with the attack ones on the other?
    Could you upload a video of the game in action, so we can see how the controls work?

I am interested in how it plays with this control method, and what players response to them will be like.

12. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    If direction buttons were moved to one side and attack buttons to the other, it destroys the symetry and could make it harder to execute flying kicks, which are done by tapping a jump button followed by a tap of an attack button. By going that route, you might as well just use a true virtual d-pad. The player is almost always centered, and so the default layout has a certain spatial appeal - an enemy is on the right? Click a right attack button.

It'll be easy enough to add support for alternate control schemes in the 1.1 update. Might be fun to try a button-less mode, where you tap directly on bad guys to attack them.

I'll be preparing a video later this week, and will update this thread when it's online.

13. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

I totally get that vibe from the screen shots!

14. adbjmb

adbjmb Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    You did a good job on this Stroffolino. Nice touch with the bloody kicks. I don't remember that back in the original. It's good to see you active at touch arcade and open for suggestion. I understand your view on d-pads but maybe a circular d-pad that moves in all directions like the one in assasins creed would still allow you to do the running kicks seamlessly. Again, great job and i will be looking foward to the 1.1 update.

15. indyraider4

Feb 8, 2009
    Congrats that it is out HERE,

also if you need help with the video, I would love to help (for free). PM me if you are interested. Also, could you prepare some iphone sim video of the game and what you want highlighted. Also, try to give the buttons correspondence with the buttons on your keyboard for the sim, so that you don't have your mouse on screen, or record with screenflow and take out the mouse.

16. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I appreciate the offer. Using simulator to capture video has some appeal, but also some downsides:

- all playtesting to date has been done on real hardware - ipod and iphone. The simulator build does not yet support keyboard input, and mouse input is a poor substitute for touch.

- I really do want to show the two main styles of play (thumbs and single finger), and maybe even include some footage of my 3 year old son playing on the easy difficulty setting - this type of footage, thumbs and all, isn't possible with simulator.

I'll have access to a high quality camera on Tuesday, May 5th. While the delay is unfortunate, on the plus side it means that the video is likely to include most or all of the 1.1 improvements.

Take care,
    Phil

17. indyraider4

Feb 8, 2009
    okay, get what ever footage you think will best show off the game.

18. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    any1 got a record video for the game? wanna review before buying.

19. sjleworthy

Dec 18, 2008
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
  20. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    We all know the best thing in Kungfu Master is not the Kungfu but the NES sound effect...do you have this in the game? Haha!