The June 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Final Fantasy 5

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Jun 1, 2017.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I got Black Mage too. Four Black Mages is going to be interesting.

2. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    My piano skills have leveled up!

3. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Four Knights easily ripped through to the Water crystal, where I drew Magic Knight from Gilgabot. Lenna and Galuf switched over to MKnight and we continued ripping everything apart until the Fire crystal boss, where I feel like I always get stuck. You'd think MKnight would be good here, but every time I've tried casting Blizzara sword, I end up missing on the subsequent attack. I'll have to look up Liquid Flame to see what I'm not remembering about his strengths and weaknesses.

4. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Woah. My level 9 black mages just got decimated by Shiva. I guess I've got some grinding to do.

5. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Also, I forgot to mention that I learned something in this round: you don't have to fight Magissa's backup if you can kill her in one round and thus don't give her a chance to summon him. :)

6. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Got through the Fire fight and drew Ninja from Gilgabot. Glad I pulled MKnight since I'm loaded down with melee otherwise. Might be slow going for a bit since I'm at a work conference, but I've been making such good time so far that I think I should be done by the end of June regardless.

7. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I got past Shiva but now I'm stuck on Garula. He doesn't have any elemental weakness which doesn't help with my mages. Going to have to grind some more. Hopefully I get a physical attacker with the next set of jobs.

8. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Dear God I got Berzerker. Any advice from the veterans out there? Should I just change one character and leave the rest Black Mages?

9. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Zerkers aren't awful, but it will depend on what your other jobs end up being.

10. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    So I'm past wind shrine and we're all mages of the dark type. I'm in the ship graveyard, heading out. Yesterday didn't allow for too much playing.

11. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Made it to the Earth crystal jobs and snagged Dragoon. So, my final loadout:

Knight / Magic Knight / Ninja / Dragoon

I, uh. The magic tower sure will be interesting. I hope thrown scrolls count as magic damage?

12. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Fork Tower is optional. I'd probably consider skipping it.

Though I found on my run you aren't tied to using only magic until the boss. Physical attacks were fine till then on both sides. So maybe you try and see if the rods and scrolls will do it?

13. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    You'll probably have to skip it. In other versions you can bounce silence daggers off yourself and he won't reset, but they closed that loophole in the mobile version.

14. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    ...mind blown. I've played FFV several times and never worked out that the Fork Tower was skippable. Huh. Thanks, team. I'll definitely give it a pass - I don't think I can do anything with this team.

15. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    My Fire crystal job is Geomancer. Not sure what Geomancers are good for but I'm going to find out.

16. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    At the very least, you can avoid damage from lava and other damage tiles with Geomancer.

17. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Yeah, it was a solid utility class in my run through with the ability to negate field damage and see pits. And the geomancer command isn't terrible. I didn't regret using it. I'm going to let Shaun weigh in on how good it is in a four job fiesta run though.

18. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    This week haven't had much time for play, but I'm now at Castle Walse trying to decide whether to head up and check on the tower or try to find what they said was somewhere in the castle.

19. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Finished up both Trails of Cold Steel II's platinum trophy and the conference I was at, so I'm back to it. I'm into the second third of the game. Been having survival issues in some dungeons so far since I have no healing. I might need to stop and grind some cash for a bit so I can afford both equipment and healing items. (I'm good on the world map - I stocked up on Tents in Bartz's hometown.)

20. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Uh, yeah, I'm stuck. This party has been plowing through bosses so far, but Atomos is wrecking me. Haven't even had a run yet where I've done half his health in damage. Comet is a one-hit KO no matter who it targets, and every time I raise one person, he just Comets two more.