We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    #81 eeenmachine, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    Seems more like a question for the developer, but I'll give it a shot.

The game was originally developed in Flash (like many games on the App Store). Flash games are almost impossible to charge for directly, that is why they are all free to play on the web.

The iPhone isn't able to play any of these Flash games off of the web, they need to be ported to be a native application.

The developer, having needs like keeping a roof over their head, and procuring sustenance, would most likely choose to make money over not making money now that the option is available.

Edit: Look what my boyfriend Adam just tweeted: "making a bunch of new art for canabalt today, should be fun!". I think Canabalt just went up in worth to $2.14 on speculation!

2. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    A little offtopic, but what is Adam's twitter handle?
    EDIT: nvm. found it myself. it's @adamatomic if anyone else cares!

3. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    @adamatomic

4. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA

+ 1 !

Worth is very very subjective.

Yes!

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Dont buy it...*breathing noise*
    it is your *breathing noise* destiny not to buy it...

6. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Bought it for $2.99. I play it when I am on the subway or waiting for something. One of the few games that I can play one handed. I like it.

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I would buy Canabalt right now if it was $1.99.

Moto X Mayhem is yet another game that has more gameplay and levels than Canabalt, and it's only .99 cents.

8. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    No!
    esp. when one can play it on the website... for FREE!

9. marshmonkey

marshmonkey Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    I would probably even buy 2 copies if it was $1.99, too good to pass up.

I only have 5 dollars left out of the $250 I limit myself to spending on the app store a month.... I can't see going with canabalt tho as I could stretch my last 5 bux by going with some other games.... sorry guys I have bills 2 pay u know, lol.

10. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I stumbled on another game that has similar Gameplay to Canabalt. Pig Rush - it was priced at 1.99 on release and is currently on sale for .99. I wouldn't buy it over canabalt because I like canabalts style/ over all look better.

11. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #91 tsharpfilm, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    Yeah, and it's in 3D. Thanks for the suggestion.

UPDATE: I bit the bullet and bought Canabalt. I kind of wish I had waited for the price to drop. There isn't even a return to menu button; you have to exit the game just to see the high scores. It's good, but it's not THAT good. :mad: I seriously feel conned.

12. Eternal0

Eternal0 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    $1.00

I wont get into the argument over if it is worth $3.00 or not. I will not be buying it untill the price goes down if I buy it at all. Why? I have a allowance of only $5 most weeks to spend in Itunes. No way can I spend over half of it on a single game that most people say they only play a few times. I am not just cheap eather. I have no problems saveing my $5 for 2 weeks to buy something that costs more but it has to have enough content to make it worh it. A recent example is Dungon Hunter that I saved for and still play daily. Anyway just my 2cents.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    $5 per week?!?!?! Jesus Christ, man, that's... low.

14. Eternal0

Eternal0 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Yes it is and thats half of my total allowance $10 a week except for the summer when I mow some lawns for extra money. It gets me 2 or 3 games a week (when nothing big I really want is comeing out).

15. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I don't think that's low at all. I've set the same restriction for myself after I got a little carried away on spending.

16. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
  17. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    i spend $5 every month and half. Even though I have $20 sitting from a gift card in my account... Anyone know a way to transfer gift cards from one account to another, after you've alrady entered it in the first account?

18. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

I don't regret buying it, although, it should be $0.99. It also shouldn't be free cause it's worth some money, but not $2.99.

19. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I like it personally. I play it multiple times a day and it's my go-to game when I have a few minutes.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah it's worth it, as long as you're not ridiculously poor beyond all reason like some of the people in this topic.