The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Your wish came true! ;)

As usual, great article Shaun!

And it's been a solid, solid year for iOS gaming and most particularly in the RPG department!

2. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Once again, I should have asked for a winning lottery ticket. *sigh* :D

Thanks Shaun!

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Phew, I should have tossed out that milk before I left!

Sorry if it's been a bit quiet and ill-maintained in here, I was busy enjoying the lovely holiday season back in Canada. I hope those Special Editions were okay. It felt weird to write three RPG Reloads in one week, haha.

Anyway, big news for the RPG Reload in the new year! Eagle-eyed readers who carefully read every Shaun-post may have spotted it already, but for the rest, it should be clear as day in tonight's RPG Reload. I'm excited, and I hope you guys will be, too!

Now let me just fix up that OP and dust off the Twitter account. I'm still on Canada time in my head, which is not good given the day/night flip between here and there.

As always, thanks for all your kind words, and I hope I can live up to them for a long time to come. Happy new year, everyone!

4. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ey Shaun... Have you checked out Hero Emblems yet? It's a puzzle RPG so im not sure if you like those, but it's friggin good.

I dunno why, but for a puzzle RPG, i find it odd that the game reminds me of Nippon Ichi titles. LOL.

5. zepfhyr

zepfhyr Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Here's a vote for the next Reader's Choice: Adventure Bar Story. It feels like a DS RPG that skipped the DS and jumped straight to iOS. You play as an adventurer that is trying to keep a tavern up and running. You go out and hunt monsters to get ingredients for the dishes you want to make at the tavern. It's part RPG, part SIM. I quite enjoyed it.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Ooh, nice choice! Vote counted.

As for Hero Emblems, I have a lot of work to catch up on so I'm deliberately avoiding it, haha.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Good choice! I used to play this one all the time. I guess it's kind of like Monster Hunter except you have turn-based JRPG battles and craft food instead of gear. Wow, first time I thought of it like that. Guess I better put it and my save back on my iphone. Wasn't it a PSP title in Japan?

8. timmfox

timmfox New Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Shaun,
    With the excellent release of Hero Emblem last week, how about you do a reload on Puzzle Quest and explore the history of match 3 RPG's. I think that would be interesting. I really enjoy the historical context in your articles. Also, match 3 rpg's feel more accessible to the common person, which mobile gaming has clearly targeted. Please keep up the good work!

Thanks, Tim

9. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Just a quick question for you fellow RPG-lovers. Is there a retro-styled JRPG that has a space setting, allowing you to explore space as well as have turn-based battles on planets or in space combat?

I've picked up just about everything I can find that is retro and space related, and the closest things I can find are Phantasy Star II (which doesn't explore space, really), Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (which also doesn't allow for space exploration and isn't really retro), and others like Space Age, Mines of Mars, Waking Mars, Out There, and Star Command.

But I'm just really wanting a game like Lunar Silver Star Story meets Distant Star. And I'm super excited for Tiny Trek, but it won't be the RPG I'm craving. Thanks for any ideas!

10. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Hey Shaun, maybe you could check out The Quest if you haven't already? It always reminds me of Daggerfall whenever I play and it has tons of expansions.

11. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
  12. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
  13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #313 Exact-Psience, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Knights of Pen & Paper! Whoosh! Love the article, as usual. :)

14. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'd love to reload Puzzle Quest, but it's long since left the App Store, and I actually didn't buy it while it was up (I already have it on DS and PSP), so I don't think I could do a proper write-up on it.

The history of match-3 RPGs does sound like a fun idea, but it's outside the scope of the regular RPG Reload articles, so maybe I'll file it for a Special Edition sometime when I need a "filler" (filler in this case meaning it only takes me several hours of work to make the article instead of dozens, haha).

15. Sildani

Sildani Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    High school social studies teacher
    NOVA
    Sooo... Final Fantasy Tactics? When, O scribe?

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
  17. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New Reload is up! This week, I wrote a lot about P1XL Games' Minimae. I hope you enjoy it!

18. Sildani

Sildani Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    High school social studies teacher
    NOVA
    I did enjoy it, just so you know.

And thanks for the Tactics hope!

19. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Something must be done, so Square Enix should fix the broken game of TWEWY , everyone should write to them, too much time with it...

20. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    There you go, Sildani!