Gameloft IAP Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scarypharaoh, Feb 2, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Cheer up guy; you know how the people around here are.

In any case, please sticky somewhere on the first page that IAP work just like normal apps, they're redownloadable for free at any time..Apparently some people don't know.

2. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Depends on how they set it up. I'm assuming they'll treat it like a regular content IAP, and you can redownload for free.
    Then there's the dark side of IAP, the consumables often found in freemiums and Com2US games.

3. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Is there more puzzle-orientated gameplay? i really liked the DS Zelda games (phantom hourglass and Spirit Tracks) so was kinda hoping for something along those lines? not just combat which gets old quickly.

P.s I'm well aware that my "gamers" license is now revoked having admitted in a public forum that I've never played any "real" Zelda games:) Don't worry, ill leave it on the mat on the way out!:)

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    You shouldn't have mentioned that in this thread. GL specifically stated that the only IAP is for the full version of the game. You might confuse people.

5. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    #45 pka4916, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

They are always free. Also you will getyour receipt for it.
    It's just like any other game, you will get the message "You already purchased
    this.... you can download this for free" or unlock for free.

Don't see the big deal for it. the IAP to unlock the full game.

Or is it the fact that the version for pirates is going to take a lot longer, or maybe never.
    First people are bitching if a game is more then $1.99 and now this..
    get over it.. it's still cheaper then buying a console game for $40-$60

And regarding the statement, that you own the game is not 100% true. Read the license and you will see
    that you just have the RIGHTS to play the game etc. But that's something for a whole other subject..

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Maybe that will help.

7. Shunsui

Shunsui Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    It works as any of any other application with in-app purchase...
    You download for free the application, you have a buy full ,button, you select it, it links to the appstore, and once accepted, you are charged on your account.

Then yes, of course, if you delete the application you can donwload the full version for free, since in-app are related to your AppStore account.
    It works as any full game.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Nice, that should quell some concerns.

By the way what's the file size of this game? I'ma probably need to delete quite a few unplayed games to make room heheh.

9. *Sincere*

*Sincere* Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Im not a pirate I'm totally against piracy...but why should I have to waist my time downloading a half a gig+ file just to find out if I like an app or not?

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Because your choices are to download it and try it or not download it at all? Gameloft's lite versions of games are pretty big anyway, so if you like the game you're actually saving time by not needing to download a similarly sized "full" version.

11. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't mean to confuse. I have full confidence that Gameloft is providing the full game through the IAP, and will restore purchases.

I was just trying to answer a previous poster that not all IAP can be restored. Content purchases generally can be, but there does exist 1-time purchases for consumable items in other games (freemium titles, for example).

12. fusermarucs

fusermarucs Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    What would you like them to do? Come and make you breakfast while hand-delivering you a shiny new iphone with the app pre-installed on it?

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Haha, yeah I understand. Yes generally in every KRPG and every online game, you'll find plenty of consumables. I dislike them greatly, but people need a way to make money.

14. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #54 xStatiCa, Feb 2, 2011
    This is a bad thing for Gameloft. Without a notification from appshopper.com I wouldn't know about their sales. In-App-Purchases are not tracked by appshopper.com and other sites like it. I want so many games there are tons of games that I would only buy if they were reduced in price because I can't buy all of them I want, I only like them a little bit, I might not have time to play them, etc. I do not know yet if this game will be one of them or not. I probably wouldn't have time to play it enough so it probably will be.

15. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    DUP. Deleted.

16. *Sincere*

*Sincere* Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    U.S.A.
    #56 *Sincere*, Feb 2, 2011
    Sorry but you are mistaken Spider-man:Total mayhem lite is 151mb compared to the full version which is 467mb. I can find out more quickly if I like the app or not with the lite version-full version model than I can with GL's new IAP model. IAP's usually just cause more problems than they solve.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I guess I just can't imagine being that impatient.

18. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah I agree. Wow Let's just hope Gameloft's trying out some newfangled idea to see how it'll work and will discontinue it.

EDIT: Like how are sales supposed to work now? the IAP goes on sale?

BTW, IAPs use your iTunes credit, correct?

19. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks for the clarification! As another poster said, some of us are not familiar with how IAPs work exactly in the App Store. What about updates, as I'm sure there will be at least a few bug fixes after a while and possibly performance improvements if needed. Actually, aren't the iApps that provide extra gold (things like that) non-redownloadable? I don't believe Gameloft would not allow redownload in this case, but it seems that it is possible to have them restricted.

I'm not bitching about the price of the game and I'm not a pirate. The price of the games is more than reasonable and I have somewhere around 90 games already and have barely finished any of them.

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    FYI:

PacMan:CE has IAP contents and last Christmas, they are simply given away for free.

Catan has "two" IAP items, one is the "lite" version of the additional scenarios, which comes with the update, the full additional scenarios is only accessible through IAP.