Universal The Walking Dead (+ 400 Days DLC) by Telltale Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 25, 2012.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hmm...safe mode, eh? That's a fantastic idea, I think I'll try that. Though tweaks typically use RAM, and I have more than enough of that (500 mb free while playing the game). I'll give that a go and see of it makes any difference. Thanks!

2. akovendetta

akovendetta Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Yeah ok. Enjoy dude.

Which I have said all along? Show me where I said otherwise. So tell me, what model GPU is in the iPhone4? An A4 is combo of an ARM-Cortex A8 with the PowerVR SGX535 GPU. Same across all three devices. I been working with computing hardware since typing LOAD *,8,1 was how you launched an 'App'. I'm done arguing with you, kid. You're clearly more interested in jerking yourself off about your iPad3 than dealing in facts, or offering anything constructive.

3. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    For me (iPad2 jailbroken with no winterboard) run quite well, no laggy :)

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Even jailbroken? That's good to hear! My iPad 2 isn't jailbroken, but if yours is and it works great then I should be set.

5. tim240

tim240 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    For the iPod users try rebooting the device and turnin on airplane mode.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #186 JBRUU, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
    :rolleyes: well someone's mad about the facts.

You said the ghz boost would make up for the extra pixels being pushed in the iPad 1. I countered by saying that you are incorrect, the clock speed isn't relevant and the GPU and RAM are what pushes the pixels. The amount and RAM and GPU are identical in the iPad 1 and the itouch 4. So the iPad 1 is even more underpowered than the iPod touch 4 when it comes to most gaming. Now please, either tell me how I'm wrong by stating facts or be done with this discussion. And please, don't resort to petty insults.

Edit: actually I'm finished with this. I smell a troll, and being easy troll bait I have a great deal of unfortunate experience with them :/ if you're not trolling or doing so unintentionally, my apologies. But I'm done with this topic. It's taking up too much of the thread and starting to get nasty.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I don't have winterboard, either. Maybe it's a tweak or something that I'm using. Are you running in safe mode? Do you get those skips in the cutscenes? I get those but the actual gameplay is running at an acceptable framerate. The cutscenes jerkiness just cuts away from the immersion. Are you sure you don't get those, either? The only reason I'm thinking you wouldn't is Telltale might've bumped the resolution for iPad 3s, but I doubt it.

8. polycontrale

polycontrale Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Just to add one more voice here:

I played through the entire first episode on a jailbroken iPad 2 and only saw a couple framerate dips during cutscenes. Running normally, not in safe mode. (But I also don't have very many tweaks running on the iPad either.)

9. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    I always kill all the app before run something so big like TWD, but run normally with wifi on, no safe mode ever.
    I jailbreak only for XBMC and the stream video from SD card, i don't have any active tweak in normal state like SBSettings that eat ram and cpu.
    I don't have any problem in the cutscene, neither in game, maybe only a little glitch when sound start little before cutscene after loading, just a matter of 1 second.

10. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    To those who have already finished episode 1, you can actually use the second save slot to play as a bad ass or nice second time around. I played as a mea, upfront lee and it was fun:p
    Now, only if episode 2 can come already....

Edit: oops, didn't mean to quote you.....

11. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
  12. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    #192 Faeryan, Jul 28, 2012
    Ha ha! A good one about Load 8,1. Like knowing your C64 would give your words any more credibility. I owned one before the floppy disk drives were introduced and have dabbled with computers since then, yet I still know very little about how Tellale games run on different processor architectures.
    Not saying that Load 8,1 person is wrong or right - I wouldn't know - just grabbing the irrelevant funny bit there.

Finally managed to play the game myself a bit. With my jailbroken iPhone 4 (not overly much, just winterboard, springtomize and sbsettings stuff) the game runs rather smoothly even without the safe mode. With no excess progams running I had almost 300MB free when I launched the game and experienced just a little jerking in some cutsceses here and there, but nothing much.
    Then again I just climbed over the fence to someone's backyard so I'm not really far yet.

About the actual game then, is it just me or is it really hard to look around? The swiping doesn't work most of the time and when the police attacked me and I had to get the shotgun I died two times before I managed to grab it.
    Not sure if it's intentionally done so that you'd feel the panic trying to frantically get the gun. If it is then it doesn't work for me. All it does is it gets on my nerves. Even in the police car with no hurry it was really hard to swipe. Might be the injury, dunno if it gets fixed later if and when I mnage to fix my leg. That remains to be seen.

The other thing that troubles me is theclumsiness of the character. Sure dropping the keys and shotgun shell and falling over when running creates panic and stuff but why on earth do I have to drop EVERYTHING I pick up and fall on every step I take? It's too much!

Other than that the game looks good and I'm hoping the story is as good as they say. Hell, maybe I finally go buy that Walking Dead TV show DVD and watch it.

EDIT: Now after having played through the entire episode I learnt how to move the screen properly and not just swipe it. A whole lot easier like that. :D

Still didn't experience much performance issues, at least nothing game breaking. A few small freezes but each time I still had time to choose what to do.

13. RickyBrooke

RickyBrooke Well-Known Member

May 13, 2012
    #193 RickyBrooke, Jul 28, 2012
    I sent this email to Tell Tale the other day:

Hi,

I purchased your new release The Walking Dead : Episode One this morning for £2.99 from the Apple App Store UK.

I am a big fan of the comics and tv series and so was really looking forward to this game and its other 4 episodes,
    so I also spent £10.49 on pre-purchasing the episodes 2-5 from within the app.

In total £13.48 has been paid for these games from my iTunes account, but upon trying to play the first episode it has been a nightmare to run.

First of all it crashed 5 times before loading very slowly. When I started to play the game I came across many freezes, stutters and audio synchronisation problems.

I have searched online for reviews and forums and find that many people are having problems running this game on an iPod Touch 4th generation.

My iPod is only 6 months old and has been updated to the latest version of iOS. I also closed down all apps and restarted the iPod a couple of times - and still come across performance problems.

Can you please let me know if an update or patch is going to appear for this game in the near future?

I am very upset that it is not working properly on a new device such as the one I have - did you test this game properly before release?

Many forum members have posted online saying that the specifications on the App store have been changed to not say that iPod Touch 4g is not supported anymore... I really hope that this is not the case.

Please restore my faith in Tell Tale Games with a helpful reply.

Best Regards,

Rick

I received this reply today from Tell Tale Games:

Hi Rick,

I apologize for the confusion regarding this issue. Unfortunately The Walking Dead is only supported on the iPhone 4G and the iPad 2 and up and will not run effectively on the iPod Touch. I am sorry if you received incorrect information regarding the supported devices.

Sincerely,
    Eric

I am furious.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I think you won't have problems asking for a refund from Apple. Me on the other hand, I had this for PC, got it for iPhone, episode 2 still doesn't download on PC and Telltale don't do refunds. Lovely.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #195 psj3809, Jul 28, 2012
    Yep i got the same reply

What a waste of time, no 'yes sorry we accidentally said it would work on ipod 4th gen' or anything like that, no offer to refund my money at all.

A shame as i love the look of this game and i'm getting an ipad in the near future but now i'm not going to wait if thats how they treat their customers

Emailed them back asking how they can sort out my refund, if they refuse to its back to Apple. I originally emailed Apple to say theres an issue with an app, they said to contact TellTale first so i'll try once more before Apple.

Again its not the £2.99, its the fact they deceived customers by saying it will work (then it doesnt) and they change the app description. And even worse they then dont say 'sorry heres a refund' its basically 'yeah tough'

16. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Does the story of this game assume familiarity with the source material?

17. RickyBrooke

RickyBrooke Well-Known Member

May 13, 2012
    I am really angry because I was emailed back from Tell Tale Games that this was not supported for iPod Touch - but it is still advertised as being supported on the iTunes page!!!! v:mad:

I have emailed Apple iTunes and Tell Tale Games back demanding a refund.

This is very bad customer relations. If they have advertised it wrongly as supporting iPod Touch when it doesn't then they could at least own up to a mistake and refund the customers who purchased not only the first game episode - but also pre-ordered the next 4 games - their money back!?!?!

I will keep you updated as to what happens next, but Tell Tale Games have obviously been caught out here....

[​IMG]

18. Sekelani

Sekelani Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Pizza maker, crust
    Australia
    When will episode 2 be released?

19. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    It's out. Also, soon.

20. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Episode 2 has already been released on other platforms, and the devs say that the iOS version is receiving some special development touches, and is rapidly approaching release.