The Year Walk Plot Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GoatisGod, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ogre800

ogre800 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Reply From Simogo

I posed my questions to Simogo yesterday through email (regarding the book author and the equations or dates i posted above, etc) and here is the reply:

>>1. It's probably just a coincidence. Nilsson is very common Swedish name. I've found this Wikipedia entry on a Sanfrid Neander-Nilsson, which I believe is the author of that book (I think the book is "Byn Under Berget"). http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanfrid_Neander-Nilsson

I have no clue why the name is spelled with one S in the picture, though.

2. Not that I have found.

3. I've looked at the picture that you mention. At first at thought those were dates, but then 30-30 wouldn't make any sense, just as you say. If we assume those are dates then 30-30 could just as you say be a mistake from Theodor, which would make the dates 3-10, 30-10, 19-11 as the only 30th that comes between 3-10 and 19-11, is 30-10. And then 19-11 and 30-10 makes sense as Theodor have noted symbols on those days - But then 3-10 doesn't make any sense (???).
    Judging from the state that Mr. Almsten seems to have been in around the time when the entry was done, perhaps we should just disregard it as nonsense (or notes on something unrelated)? I'll try to look into it, but I highly doubt that I will find anything.

Cheers,
    Simon<<

i think the second ending is THE END : (

2. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    ogre800,
    I like how he pretends to be completely impartial, cool response :)
    When you were asking the question, had you mentioned 30-30 possibly being a mistake, and that there were symbols on 19-11 and 30-10, or did he just say those himself?

I also think the second ending is probably the end (though the numbers might still have some minor meaning that they thought of).. But then again, his response sounds kind of strangely detailed on the third point

3. hotzp

hotzp Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Played through again tonight to see if I could catch anything else. After "beating" the first Year Walk, you see some text, presumably dialogue from Stina. Just prior to, "I don't love you anymore," the screen reads, "You must stop coming here". That can be interpreted as Stina telling Daniel to stop coming around to see her as she has moved on, but it can take on a different interpretation given the above theory that they are stuck in a loop. We also see some other glimpses of the future in the original walk, even before this point, such as when you see Stina's dead face after recovering the ghost baby in the mill.

Year Walk = The Inception of iOS Games.

4. ogre800

ogre800 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Baris, i did mention that it was brought up that it was perhaps a mistake. he's the one who mentioned the symbols etc, but his "i'll look into it, but highly doubt i'll find anything" says to me, that they're pointless. i guess that's it for me. wish there was more, but im not looking for anything anymore i guess. good luck.

5. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    For the 1 guy still monitoring this thread, I think we have our answer:

From: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Year+Walk/news.asp?c=49230

6. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    :D
    Good thing Heart of the Swarm came out today

7. Jewlaney

Jewlaney New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Hi all, I'm new here and I have year walk to thank for discovering this place. The game completely captivated me, and so did this thread! (And the other year walk thread). I know it's a dead thread really now but I got the game late - I read all your speculation about what the game might include before it was even out after I'd already played it! Anyway having completed year walk and trying to cope with the massive hole it has left in my life I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar game? I've played sword and sworcery and I'm more thinking of a game that is based on myth or folklore that has some roots in reality, like in year walk, not complete fantasy. Probably asking for a bit much but ah well

8. goofrider

goofrider New Member

Jun 14, 2012
    #68 goofrider, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Here's my take on the story:

1. When you're playing the game you're playing as Daniel not Theodor, the time is 1894. (Theodor doesn't have a girlfriend living in the windmill.)
    2. The companion and the secret notes occurs in a separate timeline (modern day), it's a different narrative from the game.
    3. Theodor, at the end of the notes, decides to do a Year Walk himself, travelling back in time, leaving the newspaper clip from the future, the knife, and the note for Daniel. His year walk is not the same walk as the game.
    4. Daniel, sometime after his walk, got clues to open the box in the same manner Theodor got his clue to open the box.
    5. Once opened the box, Daniel read everything but he was blinded by jealousy, and interpreted many messages irrationally (as he was mentally ill)
    6. He thought "You know what you must do" = "Kill Stina"
    7. He thought "The decision has already been made" = "He has decided to kill her", when it could simply meant Stina had alreadly decided to marry Luke.
    8. He saw his vision and the messages as his fate and hence is already set in stone, as many mentally-ill killers do.
    9. When he was executed, his mind was clear and finally understood that "he should have killed himself", that it was the original intention of the note Theodor left Daniel
    10. So Theodor, in attempting to change the event in the past, actually was the reason the event happened as it did. When Daniel saw his vision after his walk, he probably still could change his fate. Daniel would have found out about Stina leaving him from Stina herself, rather than from a box with a knife inside. They could have had a chance to talk it out, and there wouldn't be newspaper clips and note that led him to believe the murder is a matter of "fate", rather than his own decision alone.
    11. Moral of the story: if you know a mentally-ill person might kill someone, don't leave that person a mysterious box with a weapon and a newspaper clip showing him he/she indeed will kill someone.

9. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    #69 chimpman252, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Not sure of many more games like it... But if you played Sword&Sworcery, you absolutely MUST read through this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2683422

It'll completely blow your mind WAY more than this Year Walk thread even has. It may change your perspective on the game and the world around you... Get ready for conspiracies!

10. PBandJesus

PBandJesus New Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Y'all looked wayyyyyyyy too far into this. It was pretty simple.

In the first play through you play the part of the Daniel who never opened the box and therefore ended up committing the act of murder that was eventually researched by Theodore.

In the second playthrough, it is obvious that Daniel takes the advice of Theodore upon opening the box BECAUSE THE GAME ENDS.

End of story. ;)

11. Tonny890

Tonny890 New Member

Sep 18, 2014
    #71 Tonny890, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Coded Message?

I noticed in the companion app that on Oct 24 had one of the symbol had an equal sign to a D. So perhaps the two rows stands for a username and password for the PC version.

Or perhaps they stand for numbers and that's what they're for in the cave, and the layout represents a login for the mobile version.