Universal Arcade Physics Survival Game: Splash Damage (Also Promo Codes)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kinshuksunil, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What Apple devices will you be using in November?

1. iPhone 5/5s

50.0%
  2. iPhone 6/6+

20.8%
  3. iPad with Retina

12.5%
  4. iPad Air

12.5%
  5. iPad Mini Retina

8.3%
  6. Older Devices

16.7%
  1. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #121 oscar123967, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Along side the random large gaps between playforms, sometimes the playforms move faster than usual very early on.

[​IMG]

Heres an example of the large gaps that randomly appear very early on

2. riggysmalls

riggysmalls Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Oregon
    It says the codes have expired, are there any current ones?

3. kinshuksunil

kinshuksunil Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    #123 kinshuksunil, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Real apologies for such a delayed response. These are crazy days. Our other game Huerons is about to be released and we had so many things to wrap up. Next, we talked to a lot of artist's and have finally gotten one on board (more about him soon).

Now about the points mentioned:

We are so happy that you like the game. But it seems the game hasn't been living up to all the love. I think the major reason for it is, before the update it was all very random. Through these updates, we have been trying to build a progression to the system. The decrease in number of powerups is a direct consequence. Since we built a progression, everything just happens over time. And what I take away from your feedback is that we haven't done a great job on it.

Technically, those moments still happen. But since we have played enough with the bar generation and the liquid physics, things usually happen in the visible areas only, and the leaps of faith (if we may call them that), have become slightly rare. Thanks for pointing this out.

I did not follow this much. Can you please explain it a bit more?

Thanks a lot for the effort Lavender. We want the game to be challenging to keep the player playing, not frustrate them so that they leave. All of this is great feedback, and helps us see the game from a fresh pair of eyes. We, internally, have been seeing and playing the game so much, that at times we loose sight of what a new player would see.

But..but.. the whole pixel style gameplay was completely random :(

While the gaps were intentional, the speed variation wasnt. I will look into it.
    What device are you playing it on?

Updates on what has happened in the game:

The next update might be very shocking for most of the players.

First, the game will not work properly on devices less than the iPhone5 generation. It will work, but at times performance might be sluggish.

Next, the fluids looks really nice now. They form nice puddles and droplets, and everything that fluids are supposed to do. But that comes at the price of a slight change in their physics. They are thicker now and splash lesser, but splosh more.

And finally, the game is moving back towards Pixel art. We have Matthew Weekes (Matwek) on board to do the art for the game. Earlier, Matwek was part of the "Freedom Planet" team, doing Environmental Art for the game. He is also working on a game of his own, called "Kara", which is actively being developed on GameDev.net. You can check out some of his existing work at his twitter channel: https://twitter.com/matwekpixel

I will soon share details about our vision for the game's final look. It will be pixel, and we will be doing something interesting with liquids.

Ciao!

4. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Yeah those codes are more than 28 days old. Wait for a few days, and I will get a fresh batch of codes.

(You can subscribe to the thread, and when we post codes, you will get a reply)

5. riggysmalls

riggysmalls Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Oregon
    Thank you, just did +1

6. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    The older version had more splashes going on and it felt more balanced imo. The current version feels like its way too hard to get the red liquid without losing. The gameplay still needs some balance.

I encourage you guys to make the gaps larger as you progress further, instead of having them appear randomly. The same goes for the speed. It really ruins the gameplay, as it makes it all about luck and not endurance and progression. Very popular high score chasers are successful in this way such as doodle jump (platforms are much scattered as you progress), tiny wings (islands get tougher as you progress), Jetpack Joyride (you gain speed and more obstacles appear as you progress), timberman (more branches appear and gameplay speed rises as time goes down by instinct), and many more. I am speaking for myself only though, I'm not sure what the other testers think. Speak up guys!

7. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    That, exactly, is the plan. I will try to fix this in the next update. Which is still at least a fortnight away :(

8. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Lol no problem. I'm not rushing you or trying to dictate you or anything. Just giving my honest opinions :) At the end of it all, you guys are making the game you guys want.

9. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
  10. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    This project is still very alive :D We are hard at work, and need some help from all of you.

I just added a small poll about devices you folks will be using in the near Future. Please leave your votes. The game will hopefully be out in November, thus the question about November.

Also, the possible options listed are the devices that would be able to give you decent gameplay performance. Older devices will not be able to run the game well. This poll will help us gauge this data, and plan our release priorities accordingly.

11. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Work in Progress:

[​IMG]

12. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Oo looks nice! The new art style reminds me of the old school zeldas :D

13. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    :D

More soon. I am trying to get the audio ready for a preview ;)

14. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
  15. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Time for updates fellas. (And sorry for the huge mountain of text)

First of all, very sorry for the lack of any updates in the last 3 months. Things have been very complex and chaotic.

First, we released Huerons, which was published by Bulkypix. The game got featured by Apple in the Best New Games in over 45 countries and we had some decent first week sales. Since, then things have been downhill and we had to work on an update to fix a number of issues that players faced. That has been taken care of now and the update should come out sometime in January.

After that we got stuck with some services contracts (the bills need to be paid after all, and sadly game sales aren't enough). That has eaten away a lot of time and mental peace, delaying this game.

And we have started working on a Cricket simulation game aiming at the World Cup next year. More word on it soon in a different thread.

Oh! the pains of being indie.

Meanwhile, work on Splash Damage has been going on extensively. Earlier, we promised to quickly release version 0.7 of the game, but over the months we are now at version 0.9.2. And yes there are a lot of changes in the game. I will talk about them here.

But first a quick video of how the game looks (this is an hour old):

We are trying to get an update out, so that all of you can experience it first-hand. Facing some issues with submission with Apple, hopefully we will submit by Monday and the build should be out in another (7-10) days. I will post another 20 promo codes here then.

Now, what's changed:

First of all, as you can see: THE ART.
    We have mixed feedback on the character art, and the game has a slight brightness issue which we are working on. But we have gone full retro with the art. Matwek has done some really good work on the assets and animations and that shows in the game. I did post a screenshot earlier, but sometimes a picture isn't enough.

Next of course is the Audio. The team at 3Quavers has done an amazing job with the soundtrack. We have some really nifty integrations going on there (not sure how much justice the video does, but you will see when you play the game).

There is an added layer of optimization to the physics and game play. It should still feel right at home for players of the previous versions and yet welcoming to new players.

There is an objective system in place as well (it looks ugly and difficult to notice at first, but that's still under works). The game gives you challenges to meet, and reward you with unlocking (and upgrading) power-ups. This is not very noticeable yet. We are working on it.

There is a simplified tutorial system.
    We have also done away with the tilt-based control scheme. Now, the input scheme is only tap-based. We find that useful since the game can be played with a single hand as well on phones.

We need people with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus to play the game, maybe make videos and share with us. Because we want to see how the game performs on those monsters of devices.

I will shut up now and get the update ready. I think I will repeat a lot of this again, when I post the update here.

Opinions, Observations, Feedback on the video welcome. Bear with us.

Also, here is the game's official web page http://hashstash.in/project/splash-damage. We will update it as we go along.

16. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    #136 kinshuksunil, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Fellas

A new update has been released. Version 0.9.3 is now available for download from the store. Please update your apps (or install the game again) and let us know what you think about it.

There are certain UI elements that are not working perfectly in the game right now. But you can savour the new art and music within the game. Sorry, it took us so long.

Also, as promised here are 25 new promo codes:

YM79HMMAA99W
    YLNW3MN9PA3E
    LTKHFWW4LW6L
    HX3AXAL43FAF
    XE3HFFYHANNN
    793LL9KM6AAY
    9AL7WFTEFLPN
    WNMA7R6TEYTM
    AL6AH4FXPK7Y
    WAAJ3WX4TJY4
    A6TN9MFFK4WK
    FJFEYMH3RLJF
    X94LTX6RAE4T
    XTLTTNEWHM6T
    AWAR67NLNKHL
    LKEM6396AP9E
    XAN49H7HP97A
    TNN9L6N6KA7A
    6TXKRN3REXJL
    YKH37KAHEE3J
    F767LLXYXYJY
    9HMAPY767XYA
    RM4WMT97ELNR
    7APXXTM9ANH6
    RPERA66FFKEM

Do comment with the key you picked up so that I can strike it out from the list!

17. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Just posted some new codes. Give it a spin! ;)

18. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Hi there, i saw this in the upcoming and i claimed AL6AH4FXPK7Y to try this out.

What i really like: the look and animation of the liquid is fantastic! Very lush, i think describes it best!

What i didn't like:
    1) the controls seem inconsistent to me. sometimes i tap and move really fast like sliding on ice, and the next moment i tap to move and it feels like i drag a snail on the ground.
    2) the platform progression. It is simply frustrating because of the randomness they appear position-wise, the above inconsistency of control, and the fact that some *seem* to leave open a spot on the side for you to fall through, but you get stuck between platform and wall. Let alone that 90% of the time, if you try to follow a star cube, you end up losing the life, it's like they are trying to lead you to lose.
    3) There are no unlockables / upgrades that i could see, just doing the same gameplay over and over in a highscore chase.

Some people don't mind (3), but my first two points i believe can make or break a highscore chasing game.

thank you for the code and good luck!

19. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Thanks for the feedback. I will address the points you mentioned one by one:

1. The controls change according to the characters weight. You can see the color change depicts the weight of the character. When the character is light (drier), it moves across swiftly. When the character is heavy (darker), it moves slowly. You feel the consistency because you couldnt relate to the weight change. This is one of the things we have been trying to get right for a long time, but anything that we tried to fix the weight feedback hasnt worked well yet.

2. The gaps on the right edge are a result of our platform progression system. We will look into it.

3. The powerups are unlockables/upgrades. As you meet more objectives, you unlock and upgrade them. In the build you are playing they show up as an ugly chunk of text on the game over screen. This UI issue has been fixed but that update isnt out yet.

This game is still in development and will be released some time in January.

20. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    I agree with all of your statements

Also there is a gap that is barely too small to fall through. Very misleading

[​IMG]

If you tap the left side of the screen then the right side, you should move right instead of continuing to move left.