Year Walk like recommendations

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coolpepper43, Apr 7, 2015.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    After just recently finishing Year Walk and Device 6 I'm on a story driven fix. I guess it does not even have to have a great story as long as it has a great atmosphere with a mystery like The Room. So basically I'm looking for something that is similar to Year Walk and The Room. An amazing story that is creepy with a mystery and has puzzles that involve 3d item manipulation is a plus.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #2 Primoz, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Simogo sets out to make unique games, so it is impossible to find games like these. But in terms of atmosphere you might - but that is of course very subjective.

A lot of people have been comparing it to Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery in terms of atmosphere. From there you could also draw a similarity to The Silent Age, Finding Teddy, Nihilumbra, Machinarium, Another World, Tengami, Waking Mars, Limbo... But we are getting more and more away from what you were originally looking for.

For games similar to The Room you might want to look into point and click adventure/puzzle games. I found a list of games similar to the Room. Eventough it is an old list, it still holds up.

Also, the recently released game Last Voyage is pretty neat. It shouldn't take you more than an hour to complete but it definitely offers an experience. It has a combination of puzzles and arcade elements and it also has a little bit of 3D object manipulation.

Simogo also made The Sailor's Dream. I haven't tried it out yet and from what I heard it's not really a game - it has no puzzles, but it's still atmospheric and its emphasis is on the story.

*Links lead to TouchArcade game threads

3. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    If you want something story-driven and mysterious, 999 is a good game though longwinded at times.

4. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Little inferno

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hellraid: The Escape - Kinda like a free-roam version of The Room, but with a different setting.

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #6 coolpepper43, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I already finished little inferno and I thought it was pretty good. It definitely has great humor and creepiness.
    I think the next one I will play will be sailers dream because I already have it.Then I will play hellraid (already have that one also). Then, I will pick up that new game Last voyage. Thanks again for all the advise!