Super Meebo's Epic 2D Platform Adventure Will Re-Write App Store History

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PixelPower, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelPower

PixelPower Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    1. So I guess now everyone here is has never made any mistakes in thier life.

2.Hodapp has instructed me to only post in this thread. That is interesting that Iam only allowed to post in a thread that is negative but not post a thread that is useful. So that tells me in fact Toucharcade wants online fights and brawls rather than a member being informative and sharing information.

I also see everyone here loves to jump on people and act as if they are perfect. Seen I can only post in this thread I will just start posting useful stuff that will help newer members and ignore the rest. I find this fighting tiring and getting boring. I see alot of posters who feel they never done anything wrong and I see that Hodapp is clearing loving me get bashed. Ya gotta love it!!:)

2. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    I noticed there isnt a central location where people can go to find exact marketing information, so I decided to make this thread to help the new people out. This thread is all about marketing and links to help you reach the 1,000,000,000's of iphone gamers spread across the internet.
    Rules
    1. Only talk about marketing and promotions
    2.You can share links to anything related to marketing such as postmortum's or websites that you can post your game,give reviews,email reviewers.
    3. No opinions on other peoples games or other people life,aka no flaming.

Anyone who doesnt follow these rules will be reported and removed.

60+ places to promote your iphone game, plus emails so you can ask for a review on your game or app.

http://www.squidoo.com/massive-list-...p-review-sites

You want to know exact figures on how some iphones made money or didnt. Want to know the process and end result. Read this epic page with info you wont get anywhere else.

http://thegamebakers.com/money-and-t...developer.html

See how a simple game like chopper2 went on to sell $350,000 copies at the price of $2.99

http://majicjungle.com/blog/283/

Canabalt see why Adam Atomic choose $2.99 as his price point
    http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-10-fa...m-166512.phtml

HyperIOS how did a simple space game become a success
    http://thirdpartyninjas.com/blog/201...os-postmortem/

3. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Do you honestly believe Chopper 2 was a simple game to create?

4. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Your reading skills baffle me? Where did you see me say it was simple to create? Now I see we are going to start making up words , wow this thread is reaching new levels of stupidity.

5. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    You said it was a simple game in your description of it. What do you mean by simple then?

6. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    PixelPower, I have one last bit of advice for you. I am only giving it to you because I am honestly rooting for you. You may be wondering why, and honestly... I'm not so sure myself. Maybe it's just because you want to make games, and I want to believe that that ultimately says something positive about you. I mean, if you just wanted to make easy money, you'd have better luck selling fake tiger cubs on Craigslist or something.

Forget SuperMeebo for a while and just... work on your people skills. If you want to succeed as an indie dev, one of the greatest assets you can have is a winning personality. You have come off as completely unprofessional, insulted a whole bunch of people, many of which were just trying to give you helpful advice. You seem like a generally abrasive, unlikeable guy. Out of sheer curiosity, I clicked the link in your signature, and lo and behold... A very biased rant about how bad GameSalad is. Do you really think insulting people left and right is good for your business?

I am trying to say this in the nicest way humanly possible. You need to grow up. I'm pretty sure you're a bit young, but you come off as immature -- even for a kid. Check your attitude. Check your spelling. Who is going to want to buy anything you make if it seems like you're more invested in winning dumb arguments than making good games?

Let me tell you an amusing story... I was actually struggling to get an already finished game out the door about a week before WawaLand came out -- because I saw some of the stuff the developer posted to promote it, and I did not want to compete with it. There are only so many indie games that get some attention every week, after all... Unfortunately, circumstances did not allow me to release when I wanted. So I ended up in direct competition with WawaLand.

Guess what I did?

I bought a copy of WawaLand the day it came out.

In the promo threads, the developer talked at length about how hard he worked on it, and you could really tell it was a labor of love. He was also a really nice guy. I couldn't help but want to support him. It doesn't matter if SuperMeebo is the greatest game ever when it comes out... You are losing those kind of sales, right now. Maybe hundreds of them. I really want you to think about that long and hard, work on your attitude, and eventually release a great game. It doesn't matter to me that you might have been a scammer or helped some scammers, and it doesn't matter to me that you're a wee bit obnoxious. All that matters is who you (and consequently your game) can become.

TLDR: If you're going to be an indie developer, don't be a jerk! Not being a jerk usually works in your favor.

7. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Welcome to TA there is some solid advice and great ways to promote your game.

8. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    #388 PixelPower, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    Alright I had a day to read over the thread and digest it. It was a total waste of time and energy to fight or give in to fight, the measure of the better man is the one who can keep composure. From this point on I promise myself I will never get into a fight again. From this point on I will always be positive in my comments. It took a long time but I finally understand, thanks RevolovingDoor .
    I apologize to TA and its workers who try to keep this forum spam and fight free.

9. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #389 DemonJim, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    Now that's the kind of attitude that will let you win friends and influence people - and it sounds like you really do genuinely mean it. Most humbling as few would be man enough to say that after all this even if they didn't mean it.

The great thing is your game has had plenty of attention now pre-release. So if you can actually release a solid polished game after all this it's going to have the best starting chance as all the people here will be the first to praise it.

10. Yes, go Super Meebo!!!

11. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    I hate to pour fuel on the fire, but you guys know that Meebo is a registered trademark of Google, right?

12. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    Well, they're not gonna like that one bit.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Good on ya. Now once you've finished working on your game and you need any testers for constructive criticism please feel free to ask.

It 'seems' that if Meebo is registered by Google you should perhaps change the name sadly.

But if i can help in beta testing anything you've done in the near future just let me know. All the best with it

14. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Great attitude.
    But don't fall in the "politically correct" pit.

15. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Ok thanks for the heads up on meebo because I checked the appstore and didnt see a game with that name, I am glad someone took the time to warn me that google is using the name for something else.
    Super Meebo game with undergo changes such as a name change and overhaul so it will be a 2-3 weeks before it comes. Couple of days ago I posted a thread looking for an artist and I am working on some smaller ,simpler games,casual type games inbetween remaking Super Meebo. Since this is more of a gamer community I won't post when my casual games are released but I will post when my more gamer type games are released.

16. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #396 mr.Ugly, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    well if the games warrants interest then it does not matter if its a casual title or a "core" one.. games in general are of interest and even main page coverage is spread across pretty much all kinds of interests.

good luck on your rework of super moobe

i somehow doubt there will be a big quality jump within 2-3 weeks.. anyway good luck..

17. rikschennink

rikschennink Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    You could also keep your Meebo name and hope for some commotion.. :p

18. ++++++++++++++++1

19. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Now this is the stuff I could read all day. Excellent work putting this together and hope this gets you more fans!!

20. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Ok people like goals and in order for your game to have a long tail people need to play it for 3-4 weeks. You should make a in game achivements screen and code in around 20 achivements like

-10 flies swatted
    -50 bee's swatted
    -several highscore start with something easy make the 1st three achivements easy to get to get the player addicted then make harder ones.
    -make an achivement for each weapon collected.

Then watch your game get tons of fans and rise on the charts. In game achivements should be easy to program and shouldnt take more then 3-4 days. It will boost the replay value by %1000 .