Universal Front Wars (by Gregory Challant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Phantom42

Phantom42 Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 23, 2014
    FYI I bought the game last night as soon as I saw this. Thanks for the update.
    Phantom42 (one of those people who absolutely refuses to ever use Facebook / Google+ / Twitter, etc., but loves Advance Wars).

2. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    Yes there is asynchronous multiplayer.

3. John Gault

John Gault New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Loved Advance Wars and have been looking for a similar game since I first got my iPhone. Mecho Wars, while the gameplay is spot on, I find the characters and styling confusing and it was frustrating for me trying to tell my troops apart. I need tanks, soldiers, helicopters, etc. I just purchased Front Wars and this seems to have exactly what I want, military stylings with AW gameplay.

My biggest frustration, however, is that the game is woefully buggy. I couldn't even finish the first mission. I got the "could not locate unit 0" error. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! Second is, the dialog boxes in the tutorial run off the screen or cover over the characters below obscuring what you are supposed to be looking at. Finally, the touch mechanics seem a bit off in that I'm finding it difficult to, for example, disembark from a personnel carrier as opposed to moving the carrier.

I'm hoping that these are version 1.0 issues that will be worked out as the game seems to have great potential. As of this moment, however, I can not recommend that anyone purchase it. Once these issues are fixed I will gladly do so.

4. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    Hi John,

I'm sorry for the bugs you encountered, theses have been fixed and it is now waiting for apple's review. I wish it would be faster! In the meantime if you face another bug please send the log when the bug popup is opened, it would be really helpfull to find the last bugs.
    On next update I also included 2 new multiplayer maps, and the pinch zoom function many players asked.

Best,

5. John Gault

John Gault New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    #125 John Gault, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I got past the major bug (still experiencing smaller ones) and am enjoying playing the game. Although the depth of gameplay is considerably less than AW. I'd consider this more of an AW Lite. It has been a while since I've played AW but I don't remember the fast planes being able to attack ground units, only bombers. Am I misremembering that? Also, I may be wrong but I don't see any difference in movement with regard to terrain. Is the correct? Finally, would it be possible to add the strengths and weaknesses of each unit to the screen when you select one? By that I mean when I select a unit can the popup window state " Strong against X, Weak against Y". As the units are a little different than AW (and it's been awhile since I've played). I have to keep going back to the factory to see what unit I should use to attack an enemy unit.

Sorry, one more thing...it'd be nice if there was a way to skip or speed up the enemy turn animation. Especially in the early rounds of a game when the units are on opposite sides of a large map.

6. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    Yeah you are right about the planes, in AW the fighter planes couldn't attack ground units, but since my game is during WW2 I felt that fighter planes could attack whatever they want, but with different effects. And also there's no copters like AW so I wanted fighter planes to be useful for both situations. Maybe I should lower its price though.
    About Strength and weakness it's hard to have enough space in the popup, but I will think about it. In the meantime I will fix the damage pourcentage so that it takes into account current health and defense bonus, it should help to know units forces and weakness.
    I know the AI takes too much decision time in some mission, as soon as I have time to tweak this I will.
    I'd like to know if theses kind of improvements should be prioritized before adding a map editor, what do you think?
    Thanks for the feedback John.

7. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    The new update is now live on the app store, with many bug fixes and 2 new multiplayer maps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Can we play the single campaign with the axis?

9. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Anyone have a good strategy for mission/level 5 - Operation Dragoon? It is after the Normandy mission. Operation Dragoon is kicking my butt. I seem to be having trouble capturing the towns. Feels overwhelming. Any advice would be much appreciated.

10. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Developers have been updating this game often recently. And the price went up. Is it worth it now? App store user rating is not very good, but TA's rating is good. :)