Universal Rune Raiders - (by Retro64)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I thought the patch said survival was fixed. Why is the score still based on money rather than monsters killed? Maybe score should be a formula such as monsters killed x5 - turns used. Something like that. The multiplier for monsters killed might need to be a little higher.

2. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

There was a bug in survival that would cause a crash. That was fixed, but I have to wait until 1.03 to change around the scoring. We are also adding 5 new levels, 1 new hero, and 3 new enemies.

3. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Awesome, can't wait for the update!

4. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    cool! can't wait for the update! finished the game and got all the achievements too.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I bought this game Day1 but didnt get to play until today.

Now all i can say is... AMAZING. Never had so much fun in a MageKnight-esque strategy game until Rune Raiders.

Graphics is crisp, sounds effects are nice, gameplay is totally fun.

As of now, there isnt anything negative I can say about the game. As for the glitches, I havent played survival mode yet to say anything but i guess much has been raised up already that i only have to wait for the next update and keep on enjoying this title.

6. NagaRoyalGuard

NagaRoyalGuard Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    My only complaint is the relatively low amount of content. I appreciate the attempt of the developers to add something new (a new character and/or a new creature) every level, which kept every level fresh and entertaining, but the game ended way too fast. On Normal, within a couple of hours, I was finished. Now I'm working my way through hard mode and enjoying the journey all over again, but soon it'll be over too.

I'm in no way an expert or even qualified, but from what my limited experience tells me, levels for this game should be relatively easy to design, assuming no new creatures/characters/environments are added.

Assuming this, I would strongly suggest the developers to add a content patch containing just a buttload of levels for players to burn through, using the existing terrains tiles and creatures. Between every level where you introduce a new monster or character, add three where no new element is added.

While it was a noble goal to add something new almost every level, it felt overwhelming from a point. Spreading things out a little, and adding more intermediary levels would greatly increase the amount of content at little cost, which I think would be a fantastic investment in the game.

Other than that, I have only praise for the game. There are some balance problems, but that's only natural for a newly released game, and with some patches they should be fixed. The gameplay is very addictive and fun, the art style is charming and original and, with a few tweaks, I can see this becoming one of the App Store Greats. Good luck!

7. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

Your guess is right- designing levels is simple- it's the monster making that is time consuming. So I could definitely spread it out a little more, but as you guessed, I was really trying hard to have something new in every level.

I'd love to know other people's opinion on this! :)

Thanks
    Mike

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My thoughts... It would be awesome if the game had level editors so that you dont have to think too much for the levels, and it's instant replayability and infinite content.

Everything in the game is all tiles. Characters, monsters, obstacles and pickups. If anyone could just put those tiles anywhere and everywhere and share it with the world, we'd have one beast of a game that will be endless (Endless not in the survival game sense, but more of the "my-children-will-get-to-play-my-created-levels-too sense").

With that said, you can focus on designing more characters, skills, powerups, monsters, campaign expansions and stuff like that.

Again, these are my thoughts, and thanks for a great game!

9. NagaRoyalGuard

NagaRoyalGuard Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    #189 NagaRoyalGuard, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    @Exact-Psience Awesome idea! With a good rating system and a nice browser interface, I can see this working wonders for the game!

While it might be a bit awkward at first, until users get the hang of balancing levels and making them challening yet doable, considering the jaw-dropping things I've seen done on the Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 map editors, I don't think it will take much until similarly amazing content will start pouring from the users of this app.

10. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Dear Rune Raiders developer(s)...

You are ruining my marriage!! My husband is playing this game, and I want to play it too, only there's no additional player slots! We keep having arguments like, "You spent how much upgrading that crappy character?!! I was saving all that money for the healer!!!"

Please add additional player slots soon, so I can keep my relationship happy and together! :D

11. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    but, cant you guys just play on different save slots? ._.

12. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #192 dclose, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    ??? I didn't think there were multiple save slots! Did I miss this somewhere in the menu options? I'll have to go check... (Thanks Drexiel, for pointing that out!)

Ah, I see what happened... My husband saw those four save slots when he started the game, but never saw them again, and since I was playing "his" game, I never saw them either. There must be some way to get back to them, but it's not obvious (probably just quite to menu, but "abandoning this game" is a scary message to contemplate.) :) I'd like to see some easier and more obvious way to access the save slots. Perhaps naming them, like Playrix or Big Fish, where the game greets you by name and if it's not actually you, then you switch slots.

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there a hero that goes in the final slot? I have done all levels, but not 3 starred all.

14. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    You just sold me on this game. I'm a sucker for a good gaming addiction. Downloading now... :cool:

15. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    sure it could be more obvious, since just a slim back arrow on the corner isn't always noticeable xD

but yes, there is a way to get back there... there will ALWAYS be a Back Arrow at the top left corner of the screen which will eventually bring you back to the save slot selection screen :)

16. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Really love this gamne but like some said... more levels would be very nice.... game ends very quickly....

Allready have all champs and almost all maxxed up but dont really like repeating the same levels again :D

Either way love the game and hope it gets updated soon :D with more cool stuff

17. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Helmet of the brave?

What does the helmet of the brave in level 6 do?

18. Ssylex

Ssylex Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Software Engineer
    #198 Ssylex, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    I didn't see this asked anywhere...

Are there any plans to add support for save game syncing between iDevices?

(If it does have cloud sync, and I haven't figured it out, feel free to inform me. :p)

19. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Hoping to have a quick level RESTART button on the top part, for cases where we accidentally make the wrong move or a character died early on the game. That would be great rather than having to go back to the main menu and choose party again.

Other than that, awesome game. Can't wait for the updates. Indeed one of the most addicting tbs game I've played, since Dungeon Raid. :D

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The quick restart button is a fantastic idea, though I guess it is best if it was inside the menu instead of a button right on the game. Wouldnt want to accidentally restart a game where you are about to finish. :)